Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times

Advertisements

Well, my family is getting settled in Franklin after relocating from Chicago. We have found the Publix, the Super Target and the Wild Oats. My question is are there any local chains that are full-fledged grocery stores but come somewhere in between in terms of price and selection?

For example, we had this great family chain in Chicago called Cap.uto's with something like 4 locations. They sold excellent cuts of meat, have a great bakery and a solid deli/cheese counter. They cost more than Super Target, but didn't cause you to spend your entire paycheck getting good food like at Wild Oats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
There used to be, but not so much anymore. H.G. Hill's was probably the best known of the local chains. They are getting out of the grocery store business however.

There's a store named Harris Teeter is some locations that people seem to like (I go to Publix myself). It's a national chain but apparently a different sort of chain.

You might like going to the Farmer's Market in Nashville. There's lot of produce, and there used to be a variety of stores inside. They were remodeling the inside the last time I was there so I'm not sure what's there now. I think there's some kind of farmer's market in Franklin, but I can't tell you where. Also around the area, there's some places were the local farmers just bring their stuff and sell it out of the bed of their pickup truck (generally on Friday). Out where I live in Bellevue they do that at St. Henry's Church on Friday mornings.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-29-2008 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Thanks alleycat.

We did go down to the farmers market in Nashville. There were about 5 vendors, but they were just selling the same out of season food that you can find in the grocery stores. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a farmer in the bunch.

We'll check out a Harris Teeter.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Thanks alleycat.

We did go down to the farmers market in Nashville. There were about 5 vendors, but they were just selling the same out of season food that you can find in the grocery stores. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a farmer in the bunch.

We'll check out a Harris Teeter.
Yeah, at this time of year that's probably true. In the summer there are some locals there with fresher produce.

It really is a shame that some of the smaller markets are not around anymore, but I guess that's true of a lot of small stores generally in this "big box" age.

There might still be a Hill's in Franklin, I'm just not sure.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM

38 posts, read 190,435 times
Small mom n pop groceries are hard to come by in this area. If you are looking for specialty foods that are great quality but cheap on price try T.J. Maxx, Marshall's food section for non-perishable items. For your regular grocery store produce without the high price and big grocery store chain feel, try the mexican/international grocery stores. No Trader Joes yet, but Aldi and Save-A-Lot have come a long way since being introduced in this market. They carry good stuff for less as well. I'd also try Costco, for good quality items (bulk) at a good price, too. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: