Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:51 PM

233 posts, read 305,748 times

Advertisements

I already know the answer....probably no. My husband was getting into an argument with me saying that Tennessee deals with fires...when I was complaining how I'm tired of all the fires cropping up here in WA and everywhere you go. It's because of such dry conditions! Even with the rains we get during the year, the summer sure has been hot and contributes to the problems. Nothing like it is in California, poor folks...but we have been getting many as well....
with that said, I bet because of the humidity, the southeast does not deal with fires, though lightning can cause some at times.
What's your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_G...ains_wildfires

Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
Smoky Mountain Fire of 2016 aside, no...they're not as widespread or common as they seem to be out west.

We do experience drought quite often, the authorities will place burn bans in effect, etc. So there is a risk of that here, but it never seems to get out of control like you hear about out west.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Smoky Mountain Fire of 2016 aside, no...they're not as widespread or common as they seem to be out west.

We do experience drought quite often, the authorities will place burn bans in effect, etc. So there is a risk of that here, but it never seems to get out of control like you hear about out west.

TN doesn't get the Santa Ana winds like SoCal which drives a lot of their problems. More rain in TN too so things aren't as dry here.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
No, it's not a problem we face here, like tornadoes.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post

This is the correct answer. I live in East Tennessee and had fires burn somewhat near me in 2016. Most of the fires burned up on the mountains where no one lives .......except the one deadly chimney tops fire that burned down into Gatlinburg area causing so much death and destruction. It was a very weird fall, exceptionally dry. For about a month those fires burned and filled the air with smoke. Of course normal weather returned and it all went away very quickly. The following summer the burned areas greened right back up. It is probably safe to say that we will not see anything like that again in our lifetimes. This is a typically wet green and lush landscape. What happened in 2016 was a true anomaly.

Flooding and tornadoes have caused far more harm here than fire ever has

Old 08-12-2018, 03:11 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
TN and other eastern states don't generally have the vast wildland fires of the west. There just isn't enough contiguous, unsettled landscape. When I lived in Alaska, there were many wildland fires that just burned uncontrolled (but monitored) because they were so far from anything. That is just not the wildland-urban interface reality of a state like TN.

The Gatlinburg fire was tragic (I grew up in nearby Greene County) and an exceptionally unique example of wildland-urban interface issues. Very few mountainous areas in TN are built up like that. North Carolina will have a much harder time with this than TN in the future.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:20 PM

415 posts, read 606,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, it's not a problem we face here, like tornadoes.
So I was just in Nashville last week house hunting and the locals say the tornadoes rarely actually hit homes? I don't know what to believe as a city doesn't get tornado alarms for nothing right? The statistics say Louisiana has more tornados and I never experienced even one in my 30 years in New Orleans suburbs.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:32 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
So I was just in Nashville last week house hunting and the locals say the tornadoes rarely actually hit homes? I don't know what to believe as a city doesn't get tornado alarms for nothing right? The statistics say Louisiana has more tornados and I never experienced even one in my 30 years in New Orleans suburbs.
We go under Tornado Warnings probably 4-5 times a year, but rarely do they do much destruction (unless it is your house). We generally get F-0 and F-1s. Not the big F-3s or higher like Oklahoma

Old 08-12-2018, 10:46 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
While the F4s and F5s get headlines, these are very, very rare. Since 1950 there have only been 59 F5 tornadoes in the entire United States. In that same time frame, there have been 566 F4 tornadoes. That compares to: 2436 F3 tornadoes, 9000 F2 tornadoes, 20,517 F1 tornadoes, and 28,432 F0 tornadoes. There's only a 1% chance that any give tornado is an F4 or F5. There's only 4% chance it is an F3. That means there is a 95% chance any given tornado is only an F0-F2 which aren't going to cause significant damage. Futhermore, there are only ~900 tornadoes that touch down in the US every year which means it is very, very unlikely that your house will be hit when you consider most tornadoes are only 50-100 yards wide and travel a mile or two. Basically, to have your house hit by a tornado is an exceedingly rare event and there are things that pose much greater risk to you and your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: