Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times

Advertisements

Which city would you say has better traffic? I've lived in Nashville over a year, but am originally from Dallas; Man, the traffic here is worse than there!!
Anyway, I haven't been to Austin in a while, but I've heard it's just as bad as Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,464 times
Are there as many opportunities for songwriters in Austin as there are in Nashville?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Born and raised in Nashville, been to Austin twice. The two cities really are about as similar as two cities can get. Two really awesome live music cities. But I think Nashville has the edge in (summer) weather and pro sports. I rather prefer the linking of Nashville greenways and trails too, with two pedestrian-only bridges across the Cumberland River. Austin's trails are more spread out. I think Austin has the edge in restaurants, though.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 PM

256 posts, read 605,659 times
Which city is prettier overall? I've only been to Nashville of the two and find it quite pretty.
Which city has a better climate (least humid)?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Which city is prettier overall? I've only been to Nashville of the two and find it quite pretty.
As I posted on this thread more than a year ago, I've lived in Austin twice and Nashville thrice. The two cities are of equivalent appeal aesthetically. Austin is less humid than Nashville, Nashville less humid than where I am, Houston. But be careful about using humidity as a measure of appeal, for the following reasons. Austin in July and August in a normal year gets no or almost no rain, and brother it is hot. The city takes on a brown look, not totally of course, but all over you will see dead herbal matter, like in parks, medians, vacant lots. The trees often start to wilt, further hiding their green. The worst part is that the city and most of the 'burbs impose watering restrictions, routinely every year except in 2007 when the whole state got tropical storms on 60+ days during summer. Rent houses and vacant houses lose their lawns or huge portions of such, with few exceptions, tenants don't deal with it. This year Central Texas and most of the state (not including Houston and East TX) suffered the worst drought since '53 or something. Many trees died in Austin, Central and South TX.

The upshot of what I'm saying, is that Nashville is green beyond compare to Austin. Austin and environs are nevertheless lovely, don't get me wrong.

Now if you read my previous post I indicated that I would add on to an extremely long post of mine on another site, and post it here. I put on the addendums and I still have that text. Is this worthwhile? You guys PM me on this. It is a huge essay now. I'm feeling a little shy about the appropriateness, but give me your opinion, if a few of you want to read it, I'll read over it again maybe edit it some and post.

Last edited by groovamos; 09-19-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
As I posted on this thread more than a year ago, I've lived in Austin twice and Nashville thrice. The two cities are of equivalent appeal aesthetically. Austin is less humid than Nashville, Nashville less humid than where I am, Houston. But be careful about using humidity as a measure of appeal, for the following reasons. Austin in July and August in a normal year gets no or almost no rain, and brother it is hot. The city takes on a brown look, not totally of course, but all over you will see dead herbal matter, like in parks, medians, vacant lots. The trees often start to wilt, further hiding their green. The worst part is that the city and most of the 'burbs impose watering restrictions, routinely every year except in 2007 when the whole state got tropical storms on 60+ days during summer. Rent houses and vacant houses lose their lawns or huge portions of such, with few exceptions, tenants don't deal with it. This year Central Texas and most of the state (not including Houston and East TX) suffered the worst drought since '53 or something. Many trees died in Austin, Central and South TX.

The upshot of what I'm saying, is that Nashville is green beyond compare to Austin. Austin and environs are nevertheless lovely, don't get me wrong.

Now if you read my previous post I indicated that I would add on to an extremely long post of mine on another site, and post it here. I put on the addendums and I still have that text. Is this worthwhile? You guys PM me on this. It is a huge essay now. I'm feeling a little shy about the appropriateness, but give me your opinion, if a few of you want to read it, I'll read over it again maybe edit it some and post.
post it!!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM

90 posts, read 322,003 times
One thing to take into consideration as a newcomer is the openness of the two cities. Having lived in both, I found that although Nashvillians are friendly to strangers, there are some people who tend to be overly concerned with who your parents are, what zip code you live in, etc. I found Austin, as a western city, to be more open and genuinely friendly.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Tie. Both green and hilly with lakes. Downtowns are comparable. To me one doesn't stand out over the other in just beauty.

Quote:
Nashville's summers are much more tolerable than Austin's. You're regularly pushing 100 in Austin, and it can sometimes be humid on top of it. Nashville is humid, but several degrees (around 6 to 8) cooler in the summer (12 to 14 cooler in the winter).

Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,756 times
Too many Californians?
Seems like being a white, american male is bad enough and now you have to throw californian in, too.
I might as well buy a small boat and drift out to sea.
Relax with the California thing...you know how many folks from all over the country rushed into our casual coastal towns and turned them into yuppie communes. We watched Jim Bob and Sally Sue turn into puka shell wearing surfers overnight...No problem. Don't assume you know what californians are like, you have probably never known one.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM

56 posts, read 176,349 times
I looked at both cities as possible retirement destinations. I got the impression that Austin property taxes were out of control. But that might only be a factor to someone on a fixed income like a retiree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville