Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM

34 posts, read 57,553 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have everything settled and are moving to Nashville at the end of this month! We will be living in the Green Hills area, so I'll be excited to take a look around Radnor Lake since it's right down the road. I really, really have an itch to get outside of the city and see some of the best natural attractions Tennessee has to offer though! I realize that most of the mountainous hikes are going to be 3 hours East, and I'm okay with that!

What are some of your favorite places to hike in Tennessee? I've read about Mt Leconte, Frozen Head, Falls Creeks, etc. from lists and Instagram pages, but I'm really interested in the local perspective! I'd love to bring my dog along with me as well.

Cheers, glad to be joining your city and state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Suggest Grundy County, two hours southeast down I24:

"South Cumberland State Park is located within four different Tennessee counties: Grundy, Franklin, Marion and Sequatchie. The park is composed of approximately 30,845 acres in nine separate areas and boasts some of the best hiking and backcountry camping in the region."

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/south-cumberland

No dogs at Radnor. Leashed dogs are allowed at some parks - clean up after the dog.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:31 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Head over to the Cookeville area for some great hikes that also involve waterfalls:

Burgess Falls State Park

Cummins Falls State Park

Virgin Falls State Natural Area

Window Cliffs State Natural Area

Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyface View Post
My wife and I have everything settled and are moving to Nashville at the end of this month! We will be living in the Green Hills area, so I'll be excited to take a look around Radnor Lake since it's right down the road. I really, really have an itch to get outside of the city and see some of the best natural attractions Tennessee has to offer though! I realize that most of the mountainous hikes are going to be 3 hours East, and I'm okay with that!

What are some of your favorite places to hike in Tennessee? I've read about Mt Leconte, Frozen Head, Falls Creeks, etc. from lists and Instagram pages, but I'm really interested in the local perspective! I'd love to bring my dog along with me as well.

Cheers, glad to be joining your city and state!

A good place to "hike" in the city is the trails of Warner Park. Some of the Greenways are good for hiking.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:08 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Note that Warner and all Nashville Metro Parks adhere to these rules:

Quote:
Strict compliance with the leash law
Strict compliance with regulation regarding removal of dog waste
https://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-...Dog-Parks.aspx

Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 57,553 times
What would your suggestions be for weekend trips in the Smokies?

Old 09-16-2018, 03:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
We love Western North Carolina. We go every year and find new fun hiking spots each trip.

Some of our favorites include the waterfalls in Pisgah National Forest and Cataloochee.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cataloochee.htm

https://ashevilletrails.com/category...tional-forest/

Lots of very cute little towns also. We like to stay near Waynesville.

We did a day hike at Rock Island State Park a couple of weeks ago, and that was good. And we’ve hiked in Grundy County for day hikes.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:30 PM

296 posts, read 265,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Note that Warner and all Nashville Metro Parks adhere to these rules:

https://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-...Dog-Parks.aspx
Are people compliant? How well do they enforce it? Where I live there are "strict leash laws" at all parks but of course as soon as people get out of sight off comes the leash and their dog is running down the trailhead 30 feet in front of them.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Are people compliant? How well do they enforce it? Where I live there are "strict leash laws" at all parks but of course as soon as people get out of sight off comes the leash and their dog is running down the trailhead 30 feet in front of them.
I would recommend it. I own a German Shep, and we keep her on a leash. We don't need the lawsuit.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
The most convenient high elevation experience will be the Cherehala skyway outside Tellico Plains. While you are there, drive past Bald river falls for the deep forest rhododendron filled experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville