Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times

Advertisements

Going to Nashville with a friend of mine from Thursday, Nov. 29th to Sunday, Dec. 2nd. We'll be traveling from the West Coast so it's a long trip. I've got three kids under 5 and this is the first non-family oriented vacation I'll be taking in a while, so looking to have a good time experiencing nightlife and seeing some music. Can anyone provide recommendations based on the criteria below?

Hotel – good centrally located hotel that's close to Lower Broadway, not too generic (e.g. Hilton) if possible although that's not a dealbreaker

Restaurants – good food over ambiance, although if there's a nicer place with great food and whiskey that would be good to now about

Bars – options for a wilder night out and more laid back options. Centrally located and off the beaten path. Divey and more upscale with good whiskey/cocktails

Music – good smaller venues to see live music

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Hotel: There are a ton of them downtown/SoBro. How much do you want to pay?

Restaurants: Too many to list. https://nashville.eater.com/maps/bes...urants-heatmap keeps up on the latest and greatest.

Bars: Check out Santa's Pub. Not centrally located. You do know that centrally located and off the beaten path cancel each other out. Again, too many to list.

Check out https://www.nashvillescene.com/ for an up to date music calendar. See above re too many to list. What kind of music?

Need a few more specifics to be able to give anything other than generalities.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Hotel Indigo is the cool choice lately. Like NCal said it depends on your budget because hotels here are sky high.

For food, I like to point people toward The Southern, which is a local place that has good interesting food and good drinks.

The only problem is that things are pretty dead here that time of year. There will be plenty of touristy stuff on Broadway and the usual live music, but locals tend to hole up then. It also can be cold and rainy, so prepare for that.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. Man, we didn’t realize how crazy the prices were for hotels, so we’ve ended up going with Maxwell International and will just take their free shuttle into town. It’s only $99 a night and seems decent and spending 350 a night would limit our budget for the rest of the trip. I assume the Maxwell isn’t great but hopefully it’s not a total dump!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,562 times
The Maxwell House is ok. It's definitely worn around the edges...but it's not terrible. If you only plan to sleep there...it's perfectly acceptable.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
The Maxwell House is ok. It's definitely worn around the edges...but it's not terrible. If you only plan to sleep there...it's perfectly acceptable.

Agreed. It’s fine and close to downtown. I stayed there on one of my home finding trips before I moved.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Hey - just wanted to give an update and summary of my trip. It ended up being a great time.

First night ate at Martin's BBQ and then stayed out on Broadway until nearly 3am. Modcut: language but a ton of fun and very impressed with the number of talented bands and musicians. We must have spent time in 15-20 different places.

Next day woke up late, had an an awesome lunch at The Goat and hopped around a few bars in Germantown, then went to the Commodore Grill for a songwriters night/open mic. It was cool to see some original music after all the covers the previous night, and my friend got on stage for the open mic (they lent him a guitar). Then we went to the Station Inn to see some bluegrass, walked around the Gulch for a little bit, then closed out the night in East Nashville - we saw a punk show at the 5 Spot then hit up several of the bars around there.

The next day ate Hattie B's chicken which totally lived up to the hype, then went to the Country Music Hall of Fame. I wasn't expecting much for some reason but it was actually very cool. Had a great dinner at The Cookhouse near Division and then finished up the night with a songwriters night at a place called The Local. This one cost $15 to get into (the first time we actually had to pay a cover) but it was cool to see some great music in a small, intimate setting. Flew out the next morning.

Overall, it was an awesome trip. Great music, great food, nice people, and a good amount of drinking (although never got completely plastered). The Millenium Maxwell Hotel was ok - a little run down and the location wasn't ideal - but it was totally worth it since it was a fraction of the cost of the places closer to Downtown. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
Thanks for following back up and letting us know how it went. Glad you had a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville