Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 4,280 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are looking to make our final move and mid/eastern TN looks like the promised land. Both retired, mid 60's, excellent health, military retiree (33 years) wife retired elementary school administration (30 years) and we are conservative. I was Appalachian born and raised in southern Ohio and my wife is Texas born but raised on San Diego, CA, her Dad retired military as well. She is Native American/Asian I am white. Not too socially active, but enjoy meeting people and making friends. We've lived in CA for too long working to achieve financial security and it's past time to go. Coming to visit the Nashville and surrounding area in April. Because we are retired military, we need to be within 1 hour drive of a base to take advantage of our Exchange and Commissary benefits so we're considering Brentwood or Hendersonville as primary areas to visit and consider relocating to. Any responses to these inquiries would be greatly appreciated:

1. We think a home with .3-.5 acre lot, 2-3K sq ft single level with basement, large 2-3 car garage on a level lot in a new development with reasonable HOA. $500K upper limit if possible. Which area will we likely find a similar home B or H?
2. What are the best medical facilities in the region? We have used the Navy then Kaiser Permanente, a non-profit here in San Diego for the last 10 years. We plan to move to TRICARE FOR LIFE, a military retirement plan where we pick our own doctors as long as they accept TRICARE patients.
3. Are the new homes well constructed with adequate insulation so your pipes don't freeze and the homes can withstand strong winded storms?
4. Are there areas to avoid due to flooding?
5. Security is important, are there new developments being put in areas that would be better to avoid?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:00 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I’m afraid the only help I can offer is to let you know basements are very hard to find here. Sometimes a house may be built against a hill so you’ll get a lower level that’s sort of a half “walk out” basement. I believe you won’t find that much house in your price range in Brentwood. You can look for homes on realtracs.com. This site will give you a good idea of what your housing budget will buy in the area. It’s more expensive than most people realize. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 AM

125 posts, read 149,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickchulavista View Post
Wife and I are looking to make our final move and mid/eastern TN looks like the promised land. Both retired, mid 60's, excellent health, military retiree (33 years) wife retired elementary school administration (30 years) and we are conservative. I was Appalachian born and raised in southern Ohio and my wife is Texas born but raised on San Diego, CA, her Dad retired military as well. She is Native American/Asian I am white. Not too socially active, but enjoy meeting people and making friends. We've lived in CA for too long working to achieve financial security and it's past time to go. Coming to visit the Nashville and surrounding area in April. Because we are retired military, we need to be within 1 hour drive of a base to take advantage of our Exchange and Commissary benefits so we're considering Brentwood or Hendersonville as primary areas to visit and consider relocating to. Any responses to these inquiries would be greatly appreciated:

1. We think a home with .3-.5 acre lot, 2-3K sq ft single level with basement, large 2-3 car garage on a level lot in a new development with reasonable HOA. $500K upper limit if possible. Which area will we likely find a similar home B or H?
2. What are the best medical facilities in the region? We have used the Navy then Kaiser Permanente, a non-profit here in San Diego for the last 10 years. We plan to move to TRICARE FOR LIFE, a military retirement plan where we pick our own doctors as long as they accept TRICARE patients.
3. Are the new homes well constructed with adequate insulation so your pipes don't freeze and the homes can withstand strong winded storms?
5. Security is important, are there new developments being put in areas that would be better to avoid?

Thanks
I would throw in Franklin and Mt. Juliet into your search too.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 4,280 times
Excellent suggestions. Will check realtracs.com as well! Thanks for commenting!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 11,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickchulavista View Post

Thanks
Hi:
You made me think of Coronado and brought a big Smile to my Face!!

To answer your questions:

1) many homes in Hendersonville/Sumner for < $500,000.00

2) good medical care here. I would imagine most DOCs accept Tricare.

3) New homes are well constructed and certainly can with stand TN winters. My house has been fine with temps 4 degrees!!

4) Flooding? Not around me in Hendersonville.

5) Safety is excellent in new home communities in Hendersonville/Sumner.

Brentwood and Franklin are top notch but $$$ --think almost Coronado pricing.

When we moved here in 2007 Brentwood and Franklin was our first choice with Hendersonville next.

Best of Luck with your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville