Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,905 times

Advertisements

My husband has a possible job opportunity in Nashville specifically near the airport. We have two kids (13 and 10). We are from a small town just south of St. Louis. We would like to be within 30-45 min of the airport/downtown area.

Both of our kids are very involved in select baseball and softball so we would like to live in or near a town that offers sporting academies.

We would also be looking at public school only.

We would be looking for a 3bd/2ba home within a budget of $200K-$300K.

I know there are lots of threads regarding relocation that I have been going through so adding another one probably seems redundant. From what I gather maybe Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville or maybe Murfreesboro may be our best bets but would like to hear from you.

I appreciate any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 AM

223 posts, read 582,827 times
Murfreesboro might be your best bet based on your housing price range. It meets all of your other criteria. Commuting could be rough depending on what time you head in and out of Nashville.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:18 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I would start with Mt Juliet as it is the closest area to the airport that will most of your criteria. Budget is likely to be an issue as the area is experiencing many years worth of growth. Agreed that Murfreesboro might be an option too. Hendersonville to a lesser extent due to both budget and then distance to the airport.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM

176 posts, read 180,758 times
The Airport and Downtown are two completely different areas. If the job is close to the airport, Mt. Juliet would likely be the ideal area for schools. Housing in that range is tight, but a quick scan on Zillow shows 3/2 houses in that range for under $300k (search in zip code 37122). It's definitely easier to find those 3/2 homes in a good price range than 4/2 or 4/3 for example, as long as you aren't looking for new builds.

Outside of rush hour your looking at about 40 minutes to downtown, depending on where in Mt Juliet you settle. Commuting to the airport area for the most part is a breeze, but it really depends on your opinion of traffic. People from this area HATE the traffic, and while I-40 does come to a crawl some (most) mornings I've found it easier than my Houston commutes for the previous 18 years

Murfreesboro would be the next option as pointed out. Housing is cheaper, but the commute would be longer. Anything else close to the airport (Hermitage, Donelson, Antioch) and you'll be taking a pretty big hit on the public school systems IMO and might want to look into private.

I have a feeling the areas around St Louis have more baseball/softball options due to proximity to a city with a major league team. We aren't much of a sport family though my middle school daughter plays volleyball.. which has required a fair amount of work to locate and get her to/from practice. Our choices for that were pretty much Lebanon, Hendersonville, or Nashville.. but I would think baseball/softball would be a little easier.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 PM

125 posts, read 149,076 times
MJ has a pretty large baseball/softball league. The baseball/softball association can be found here: Mt. Juliet League, Inc - Home

They play most games in a baseball/softball complex just north of Publix at the end of N. Mt. Juliet Rd.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Thank you all! I have been focusing on Mt Juliet bc of the commute to the airport area for my husband. I am a legal assistant so I feel like I can probably find a job close by.

What are your opinions regarding the high schools in Mt Juliet? Looks like depending where you live there are 3 or 4 high schools in the area. Are they all relatively the same?

This will be the first big move for my children and want to try to find somewhere that is welcoming

Old 02-28-2019, 03:10 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langstkm View Post
Thank you all! I have been focusing on Mt Juliet bc of the commute to the airport area for my husband. I am a legal assistant so I feel like I can probably find a job close by.

What are your opinions regarding the high schools in Mt Juliet? Looks like depending where you live there are 3 or 4 high schools in the area. Are they all relatively the same?

This will be the first big move for my children and want to try to find somewhere that is welcoming
Mount Juliet High School is by far the best. Wilson Central isn't bad, but Lebanon HS is awful. Keep in mind, though, that a new high school is being built in MJ, Green Hill HS, just a couple of miles west of MJHS. It'll probably be comparable in academic caliber to MJHS. Here's a zoning map to the high schools with the new high school included:

https://www.wcschools.com/cms/lib/TN...ol%20Zones.png

I would rank them:

1a/b Mt Juliet HS
1a/b Green Hill HS
2 Wilson Central HS
4 Lebanon HS
5 Watertown HS

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 AM

We want to be in a decent school academically and our kids are average students. But what about athletics? We are very much the sports family. Focusing on Mt Juliet but also what about Murfreesboro or Spring Hill? I understand those would be longer commutes but want to look at all options.

Which area seems to be more welcoming to new students and families?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:08 AM

223 posts, read 582,827 times
Murfreesboro is a growing area and the school system is very good. My daughter just moved here from the northeast and has felt very welcomed. One granddaughter is in high school and a grandson is in elementary school. My grandson loves to play baseball and was readily accepted in the local league. High schools sports is BIG! We have 3 high schools with a fourth opening in August. I don't think you could go wrong with Murfreesboro.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 AM

125 posts, read 149,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
Murfreesboro is a growing area and the school system is very good. My daughter just moved here from the northeast and has felt very welcomed. One granddaughter is in high school and a grandson is in elementary school. My grandson loves to play baseball and was readily accepted in the local league. High schools sports is BIG! We have 3 high schools with a fourth opening in August. I don't think you could go wrong with Murfreesboro.
Murfreesboro actually has six public high schools and building a seventh in Rockvale. Several non-public high schools exist as well. The school system varies between schools with Central Magnet producing the highest ACT scores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville