Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:02 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
It is 19° in Nashville this morning and the high is only going to be in the 30s.
Today is supposed to be the coldest March day in East Tennessee in 6 years. The weather this winter has been really messed up. Like a switch being turned on it will go from this cool or cold weather to 90 degrees and we will get no spring at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Today is supposed to be the coldest March day in East Tennessee in 6 years. The weather this winter has been really messed up. Like a switch being turned on it will go from this cool or cold weather to 90 degrees and we will get no spring at all.
According to my time hop, a few years ago it was 21° with snow and ice with the city closed down and schools closed for multiple days. Hopefully this will be the last of the cold weather.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Chattanooga has the Gig Internet and a very active tech biz incubator.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM

125 posts, read 149,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
According to my time hop, a few years ago it was 21° with snow and ice with the city closed down and schools closed for multiple days. Hopefully this will be the last of the cold weather.
Snow is possible in March but Nashville has had only 5 days of snow in March since 2010.

Snow Totals for March
2018-0.6 in
2017-2.5 in
2016-0 in
2015-2.9 in
2014-0.2 in
2013-0.5 in
2012-0 in
2011-0 in
2010-0 in

Source- currentresults.com

Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
Snow is possible in March but Nashville has had only 5 days of snow in March since 2010.

Snow Totals for March
2018-0.6 in
2017-2.5 in
2016-0 in
2015-2.9 in
2014-0.2 in
2013-0.5 in
2012-0 in
2011-0 in
2010-0 in

Source- currentresults.com

I said snow and ice and closures.

From the NWS:

March 4-5, 2015 Winter Storm
The last winter storm of a very active 2 week period of winter storms across the region brought another round of widespread ice, sleet, and snow to Middle Tennessee from the evening of March 4 into the morning hours on March 5. Precipitation begin as a mixture of rain, freezing rain, and sleet on March 4 before ending as all snow on March 5. Combined ice, sleet, and snow amounts ranged from 1 inch or less in southeast Middle Tennessee to a whopping 12 inches in northwest Middle Tennessee. Many roads were closed across much of the Mid State resulting in numerous school closings.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
It's freezing a bit now, but honestly I'm glad for the break from the rain. I'm so sick of rain. Last ~2 years has been really soggy.

RC, you've asked about Murf. I think the price is doable. Murfreesboro, to me, seem to be a blend of South Hill (Puyallup) and Vancouver. It's really growing and building fast. I'm inclined to think you could find something a bit closer to Nashville.

I-24 rush commute... I'll take that traffic over anything in Seattle. It just isn't bad comparatively, i24 has an HOV lane that's only "active" 2hrs (well, 2 hrs in the morn to Nashville and 2hrs from Nashville). You will however see much more roadway accidents here than back in Seattle.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:10 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Getting down to 18° in Knoxville.

In recent years both the weather and politics have been more extreme. I don't really see any way around it. At least in time politics might change for the better.

What might that be?

Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It's freezing a bit now, but honestly I'm glad for the break from the rain. I'm so sick of rain. Last ~2 years has been really soggy.

RC, you've asked about Murf. I think the price is doable. Murfreesboro, to me, seem to be a blend of South Hill (Puyallup) and Vancouver. It's really growing and building fast. I'm inclined to think you could find something a bit closer to Nashville.

I-24 rush commute... I'll take that traffic over anything in Seattle. It just isn't bad comparatively, i24 has an HOV lane that's only "active" 2hrs (well, 2 hrs in the morn to Nashville and 2hrs from Nashville). You will however see much more roadway accidents here than back in Seattle.
Hey InkPoe. I appreciate this information. Knowing that you are another Pacific Northwest refugee like myself, I think you would have a better understanding of what I accustomed to and what I would strive to find. Maybe, I will reconsider Murfreesboro. You said you think I may be able to find something even closer. Would there be any other areas that I can find an apartment under $1000 that you feel are desirable? I don't care about fancy, upscale or good schools, but just looking for quiet and safe.

I had a good friend who use to live out in South Hill area. That dreadful Merdian Ave was just like a giant sprawled parking lot that went on forever. When I would hang out with him we would just going from one mini-mall to the next. Everything happens in the mini-malls in that place. LOL The place is mini-mall city. Colorado is pretty similar in its suburbs. As well, I-5 and I-405 were literally just parking lots.. I have traveled all over USA now and have yet to see any traffic like Seattle's. As I said, only Kampala, Uganda had worse traffic from what I experienced.

I would assume Murfreesboro, itself, is probably like Puyallup or Littleton, CO.. Mostly families, soccer moms and sleeply, quiet community. The crime rate looks not too bad. I rather live in a safe area than a "hip and trendy" area that is crime-ridden. I am totally fine living in that situation. Also, I am not a super heavy drinker anymore and don't care about having to live within walking distances to bars.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:47 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
I think people have a tendency to spend too much time trying to find comfort in a potential new area by comparing it to a place they're familiar with. You wouldn't go to Murfreesboro and think "oh yeah this is like Puyallup". For one, the population of The Boro is way, way higher. Yeah they're both about the same distance from "the city" but that's about it. Tacoma is a closer comparison. Thirty-ish miles south, population getting into the high 100,000s (I know Tacoma is a little larger than that), horrible traffic between it and Nashville (or Seattle in Tacoma's case), the second principal city in the market, large enough to live and work in and have everything you need, etc.

Places are different all around and can be enjoyed on their own. Looking for comparisons is understandable but unnecessary to me. If you go somewhere and find out that a place reminds you of something you're used to , you'll know it. You can't really look for it going in. Some neighborhoods of Nashville can be loosely compared with Seattle counterparts but suburbs I wouldn't really go down that hole.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hey InkPoe. I appreciate this information. Knowing that you are another Pacific Northwest refugee like myself, I think you would have a better understanding of what I accustomed to and what I would strive to find. Maybe, I will reconsider Murfreesboro. You said you think I may be able to find something even closer. Would there be any other areas that I can find an apartment under $1000 that you feel are desirable? I don't care about fancy, upscale or good schools, but just looking for quiet and safe.

I had a good friend who use to live out in South Hill area. That dreadful Merdian Ave was just like a giant sprawled parking lot that went on forever. When I would hang out with him we would just going from one mini-mall to the next. Everything happens in the mini-malls in that place. LOL The place is mini-mall city. Colorado is pretty similar in its suburbs. As well, I-5 and I-405 were literally just parking lots.. I have traveled all over USA now and have yet to see any traffic like Seattle's. As I said, only Kampala, Uganda had worse traffic from what I experienced.

I would assume Murfreesboro, itself, is probably like Puyallup or Littleton, CO.. Mostly families, soccer moms and sleeply, quiet community. The crime rate looks not too bad. I rather live in a safe area than a "hip and trendy" area that is crime-ridden. I am totally fine living in that situation. Also, I am not a super heavy drinker anymore and don't care about having to live within walking distances to bars.
Puyallup doesn't have a MTSU equivalent. MTSU is pretty big. Someone might have to correct me on this but I think it's the biggest College in the state, or at least up there in terms of population. So there's a bit more youthful vibe along with the suburban deal.

Murfreesboro has 2 big mall areas, Stones River and The Ave. It can get like Meridian ave but at least you can get around. Meridian just sucks and I feel sorry for people who have to get home but don't have much other road options.

The areas just south of the airport to Murfreesboro seems to be very spotty and generally not as desirable as say... Williamson county (The Eastside equivalent). I have a friend that lives in Smyrna and she tells me the area is not as rough as before. But I'm a Tukwila girl, my tolerance/comfort for those areas would be higher than some others. I would check around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville