Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times

Advertisements

Wow... I am really out of the loop when it comes to modern music, as I am an old fashioned guy who liked old fashioned stuff. However, I love good music and if it brings harmony to my eardrums I can get into it. I liked everything from death metal to old school hip-hop when I was younger. I've lost interest in death metal, but still have a lot of admiration to the old 80s/90s metal I use to listen to. I was a metalhead when I was younger.

I look forward to visiting "Music City" and checking out all the different genres available. Sadly, I live in Denver and the only music scene we have is whoever is coming into town this week.. I am in probably the least musical city in the country. I remember growing up in the Northwest during the 90s and the local grunge, metal and punk scene was kind of cool as a kid. Today in the Pacific Northwest, the music scene I feel is dead and just trying to re-invent the past, rather than be creative and make something new and people do a bad job of it.

Anyhow, I have grown to have a great appreciation to country, country rock, bluegrass and folk. But, I really like blues and can see a huge influence with many country musicians who kind of infuse blues, bluegrass and folk into their music. Country music is really such a broad category that there should many sub-categories as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 04:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
I am in probably the least musical city in the country.

I would disagree.

Bands that have come out of Denver - Big Head Todd; OneRepublic; Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats; The Lumineers; The String Cheese Incident; Yonder Mountain String Band

And there isn't a bad indie scene.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I would disagree.

Bands that have come out of Denver - Big Head Todd; OneRepublic; Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats; The Lumineers; The String Cheese Incident; Yonder Mountain String Band

And there isn't a bad indie scene.
Not that I expect many people to know who they are but Breathe Carolina is also a Denver band.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:39 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
String Cheese Incident I know about, but not too familiar with the others.. Yonder Mountain rings a bell. I think I remember them coming to Portland for shows in the past. I just don't see a lot of music venues in this town and it seems like most of the city shuts down by 9PM in most places.. Most bars don't even serve food past 10PM.. In Seattle and Portland there are streets with whole strips of bars with music venues. Does Denver have anything like the Tractor in Ballard? I know there is the Grizzly Rose, but that is mostly for larger performances and a lot of it is bent on country music. I don't really see that in Denver, except for some of those dance club type places.

Of course, what large bands have come out of Seattle or Denver in the last 10 years? The 90s was era of music and many cities had what I consider much more livelier music scenes than today. Most of what I see around here is a lot of cover bands and not much originality.

I haven't lived in Denver long so maybe there is a large music scene I have yet to experience. I'm still trying to figure out where the nightlife of this city is. It is not like Seattle where you have a whole avenue of bars with live music. You have to really search around and discover things around here.

Seattle still has a lot of music venues, but I am not aware of too many famous bands with original style of music that have come out of the city recently.

Then again I know really little about most modern day bands as I don't listen to a lot of new age music.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
A lot of people don't really think about the music scene here. It's just around. Odds are if you want something you'll find it.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Classical: Don't forget Nashville Symphony & recordings on budget Naxos label.
The Nashville Symphony is indeed one of the gems of Nashville that many overlook. It performs 140 times a year and has been nominated for 20 Grammy awards and has won 7. Its home is the magnificent Schermerhorn Symphony Center which is one of the most beautiful in the country. People who think Nashville is just honky tonks and bachelorette parties aren't very well informed.

The Schermerhorn:

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 12-31-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Default Jazz in Nashville

For jazz there’s the Nashville Jazz Workshop. They had Bob Mintzer of the Yellow Jackets play with them a couple years ago. As would be expected, the musicians who partake are very good. They have workshops and jams.

https://nashvillejazz.org/

Old 12-31-2022, 05:15 PM

194 posts, read 190,394 times
I wish there were more truth to the title of this thread. Here we are - another NYE - and the city's nationally televised festivities feature exclusively country music.

Until these large events expand beyond country music, Nashville is "Country Music City."

People nationwide could have seen an entirely different perspective of Nashville, but again, it's a played out country theme. If Nashville gets a Super Bowl in 10 years, will the halftime show be the same garbage? Will Nashville ever really become "Music City"?

Old 01-02-2023, 10:21 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
I totally agree….so much more to offer than just country, especially if we are the music city.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,797 times
Nah. Keepin it country is keepin it safe. That's why it's thrivin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville