U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,753,381 times

Advertisements

Nashville is a Diverse city of diverse music not to be fooled! Looks as though Hip Hop along with other music genres are alive and well in Music City!

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/hi...l-in-nashville
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 08:08 PM

7,722 posts, read 5,774,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Nashville is a Diverse city of diverse music not to be fooled! Looks as though Hip Hop along with other music genres are alive and well in Music City!

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/hi...l-in-nashville
Many locals have known this for years. It is hard to explain unless you live in Nashville.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 PM

3,534 posts, read 4,763,505 times
What about bluegrass, folk, Jazz and blues?? I would think due to its location those could also be fairly popular genres of music. And, I am into all of those styles. Jazz I am a little less familiar with.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,516,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
What about bluegrass, folk, Jazz and blues?? I would think due to its location those could also be fairly popular genres of music. And, I am into all of those styles. Jazz I am a little less familiar with.
Yes, yes, not as much, and yes. Unless there's some underground I'm unaware of, Nashville's jazz scene hasn't ever really developed. But as for the others...absolutely.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 AM

7,722 posts, read 5,774,445 times
Quote:
Jazz and blues are not very popular here, which is sad because I love those as well. There is an ok jazz station 88.1 WFSK (Jazzy 88) that plays mostly intrumental contemporary as well as a few venues like Sambuca and City Winery. RnB is gaining more popularity due to pop and country artists crossing over, but is still largely faddish. Bluegrass is more popular in the rural areas. Most young people listen to Trap pop, trap music, afropunk, disco country, indie-folk, and chill wave. Country music is starting to diversify much more thanks to newer artists.

Last edited by Shakeesha; 03-01-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM

2,252 posts, read 1,129,265 times
I was there last month for a week and can say that I was surprised and delighted on the great diversity of tunes. great city you guys have there.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 AM

3,800 posts, read 3,602,243 times
Rudy's Jazz Club in the Gulch https://rudysjazzroom.com/

Nashville Jazz Workshop in Germantown Nashville Jazz Workshop

Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,602,695 times
Quote:
Bluegrass: The Ryman is the place Bluegrass was born. Summer concert series at the Ryman every year. Some bluegrass artists are also in the Country Hall of Fame. Bluegrass gets regular slot on Grand Ole Opry. Get CD/DVD's at Ernest Tubb Record Shop on Broadway.

Folk: Maybe could be called Americana or Roots music. Could also be called string band music.
Americana Fest at the Ryman Sept 10-15 & other Inns around town.

Jazz: Go to Memphis,New Orleans for that.

Blues: Some country, Americana has strong blues influence.

There are so many more studios now for recording & with all the major & indie labels there is something for everyone.

Classical: Don't forget Nashville Symphony & recordings on budget Naxos label.

Last edited by GWoodle; 03-01-2019 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 04:00 PM

3,800 posts, read 3,602,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Bluegrass: The Ryman is the place Bluegrass was born. Summer concert series at the Ryman every year. Some bluegrass artists are also in the Country Hall of Fame. Bluegrass gets regular slot on Grand Ole Opry.

The Station Inn and Layla’s Bluegrass Inn would be the best bet if you aren't here in the summer on one of the nights that the Ryman has the bluegrass series. There is also the pickin' parties in the summer in the parks.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,806,305 times
You can tell when a person doesn't know about Nashville's music industry. They call it "Country Music City" or "Country Music Capital"... when its official nickname is "Music City", going back to the days of Queen Victoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: