Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 17,071 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a family of 3, our daughter is in kindergarten. We are seriously considering leaving CT, we are so tired of being hammered with high taxes. We really like what we see about Franklin, schools are very important and they seem to be very good. I guess my question is about adjusting as total outsiders. We don’t know anyone in TN. My question is for the transplants, were you able to feel home, how did your children adapt, do they feel home ? Did you regret your decision if not why? Thank you for the help. We love what we see about Franklin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
I'm pretty sure there are a few people on here that moved from CT so I'm guessing you'll get good answers from them. I also feel like there may be a recent thread here floating around that asked similar questions about moving here from CT. There are several about people moving from NY or NJ.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:31 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
We moved here from the Northeast. It did take me a while to adjust culturally but it home now. I think it is easier if you move to a neighborhood with a community pool, etc as it will make it a lot easier to meet folks and make friends. There are so many transplants when you meet a native it is almost like finding a needle in the haystack.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,071 times
Thank you all for your answers. I will search this forum, I’m sure I’ll find plenty of info from others that left the tri state area. Right now, we’re thinking about it, it’s not easy to up and leave and start over in an unfamiliar place but from what I’ve read so far, very few have regretted their move to Franklin. There are bills pushing for forced regionalization of most schools in CT, and proposals for more taxes (we are taxed to oblivion). People are fleeing in droves, they’re basically taxing us out of the state. We chose Franklin for many reasons that fit us as a family, we happen to be conservative in a blue state that’s taxing everything that breathes! The only thing left that’s still bringing people here are the schools, but with this regionalization bill, they’re in jeopardy now. Thank you again for your answers.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Guilty! I moved here from Simsbury, CT in 2010 - the weekend of the Big Flood! Looked for houses almost a year in advance - mostly due to timing and I moved with my elderly mother and it took a while to get her on board.

I find and continue to find the people here very welcoming, very friendly. And a great deal of them are transplants. Maybe mostly friendly people move here? Or ones who are like minded in that regard. I went back up to CT to visit about two years ago and found everyone very 'cold'.

The hardest part for me is that a great deal of Franklin was built as developments. It's hard to find a house that is NOT part of an HOA with various not always bad rules and regs and fees. I did try to find a non HOA house and it was hard. There are some unincorporated parts of Franklin that are not part of an HOA.

I live in Fieldstone Farms, one of the earliest (mid 1990's) developments. I am 80% happy here in Fieldstone and 100% happy in Franklin!

Financially I think we spent $13,000 less in the first year we moved here. HOA was cheaper (my Mom had a condo), property taxes are about 1/3. Biggest thing was the cost of electricity. One February (electric heat, only option) the bill was $700!! My electric bill for January of this year was $50 and the gas bill was $70.

Come on down!!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 03-13-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 PM

266 posts, read 245,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
We moved here from the Northeast. It did take me a while to adjust culturally but it home now. I think it is easier if you move to a neighborhood with a community pool, etc as it will make it a lot easier to meet folks and make friends. There are so many transplants when you meet a native it is almost like finding a needle in the haystack.
We moved to Hendersonville from CT late 2017 and agree with the statement above. It has taken a bit to adjust but we have settled in. I've enjoyed the milder winters! Everything from car/homeowners insurance to electricity bills are less then what you are used to paying in CT.

It was hard to up and leave everything we knew, and we left family/grandbabies behind but honestly, after our home sold we knew if we bought again in CT we would be there until retirement.

I've met people from California, Nevada, Illinois and Massachusetts.... it is a melting pot so no worries there!

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 AM

223 posts, read 583,171 times
We lived in CT for over 20 years and after some time in IL we moved here 10 years ago to Murfreesboro and never regretted it. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind that things are a bit different here and you are the one that needs to adjust to that. The people that I know that came down here and really don't like it are ones that constantly complain that's not like CT, NYC, CA, IL etc.... Well it's not suppose to be anything like those places!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 24,545 times
I am originally from Alabama but lived in the Northeast for a little bit. We have lived here in the Nashville area almost 9 years and don't have any good reliable friends. Maybe it is just harder to meet people as adults? We joined a church, go to meet-up groups, community pools, our kids are involved in many activities, etc. but we have found it is hard to get past the surface with most. Like many southern areas, people are for the most part friendly. We have lots of acquaintance but no good friends. I found it much easier to meet good friends in other places than here.

We do regret moving here simply because we can't seem to fit in.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I think people simply aren’t as social as they used to be. My parents had dinner parties, played cards, etc. Everyone is so stuck on their phones and social media. I do find people very friendly here but to be honest my dearest friends are the ones I made in my 20’s. Far flung but still friends. Might just be society as a whole. Work friends and friends you make through your kids also tend to be circumstantial. I read that most people really only have 2 - 3 really good friends. REAL ones, not Facebook born. Do you still have friends in the northeast?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM

14 posts, read 24,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I think people simply aren’t as social as they used to be. My parents had dinner parties, played cards, etc. Everyone is so stuck on their phones and social media. I do find people very friendly here but to be honest my dearest friends are the ones I made in my 20’s. Far flung but still friends. Might just be society as a whole. Work friends and friends you make through your kids also tend to be circumstantial. I read that most people really only have 2 - 3 really good friends. REAL ones, not Facebook born. Do you still have friends in the northeast?

Completely agree. We have tried to make plans with people but something usually comes up. People just don't want to leave their house. Most of our friends are all over the place as well. We are currently planning to move in the next 2-3 years either back to the Northeast or to where some of our friends live. Currently all my friends in the Northeast have moved away as well but I really loved up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville