Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:37 PM

33,816 posts, read 16,826,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
The right to work laws, which prohibit union membership as a condition to get or keep a job, in Tenn and other red states is huge for luring companies.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 PM

9,443 posts, read 10,730,920 times
There is some truth to the idea that people are voting with their feet. Conservatives are pouring out of blue states, moving to red states. Some liberals are doing the same leaving places like this for northern and coastal blue states. I’ve heard people refer to it as “the great sort”. It is not a good thing that we are so divided that people feel the need to do that but anyone who knows anything about life in a blue state knows how hard it is for a conservative or religious person to live in one. It says a whole lot that so many people are willing to upend their lives to escape those places.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM

914 posts, read 1,975,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
The right to work laws, which prohibit union membership as a condition to get or keep a job, in Tenn and other red states is huge for luring companies.
To be fair, though, the overwhelming majority of Nashville’s jobs announcements haven’t been influenced by Right to Work. Software engineers, accountants, and attorneys aren’t groups who companies have to worry about unionizing.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:55 AM

114 posts, read 127,459 times
Nashville is not a conservative place. I lived there and people are pretty liberal. Now the suburbs things are different, but those are changing (as more of the new libs head out there)

Old 04-01-2019, 05:56 AM

114 posts, read 127,459 times
and this right to work thing-it doesn't really answer nothing. Why is NASHVILLE experiencing explosive growth (Much much more than many of its red counterpart)

People-let's use logic..

Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,488,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
and this right to work thing-it doesn't really answer nothing. Why is NASHVILLE experiencing explosive growth (Much much more than many of its red counterpart)

People-let's use logic..
What are you fishing for? What's the validation you need? You have received many logical replies. Nashville is not even a particularly liberal city, although it's been run by Democrats since before the Civil War. It's 'liberal' when compared to many places throughout the South, but that's not anything new. Southern cities have generally been a counterpart to more conservative rural areas. But will Nashville turn into another San Francisco anytime soon... No!

To the RTW status, there has been an exodus of companies from more unionized states to 'at will' states for 5 decades. So that's definitely a background to the continued migration. And while (as noted) many companies relocating don't have employees with traditional union membership, the whole (net) effect is a lower cost of living and less restrictive regulations regarding employees. For example, office workers in Detroit's Renaissance Center cannot even move a desk one-foot closer to a window without calling a unionized maintenance worker to do the job. That is a state law.

Weather is another reason for the migration, but the tax issue is huge. Not just for the corporations relocating (trust me when I say the executives know where they can be taxed at a lower rate), but also for retirees. Tennessee will be joining a handful of other states this year that not only have ZERO income tax, but also have ZERO tax on investment income.

There's location of Tennessee too. Smack in the middle of the Eastern half of the country. I recall an executive of a logistics firm here who said his company had to move here because many large corporations are moving whole divisions here. So the executives live in places like Nashville and Chattanooga while their non-unionized staff work in smaller towns, just an hour or so away. He also noted that commonly used algorithms for many industries show the model for the most efficient placement of operations is a location in Tennessee and in Utah. That's increasingly being used in manufacturing especially. The automotive industry is a prime example of unionized to non-unionized states. While their companies may still be contractually tied to the UAW, locally sourced automotive suppliers are often not. That's a key reason why Spring Hill was expanded this year while plants in Ohio and Michigan were closed.

SO what are you trying to get people to validate? That Tennessee will soon be awash in liberal politics? That's not going to happen anymore than North Carolina has... or Georgia... or Texas. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that all of the South was predominantly conservative Democrat. And there's still a trickle here and there of Democrat popularity. Recently, a lot of out-of-state money went into candidacy of Democrats in GA & TX, but they lost. Don't underestimate the role of religion in that too. As more conservatives flee to conservative states, those people are not going to cities... but to suburbs and rural areas. One of the most notable was Mike Curb who led the migration here more than 30 years ago. There have even been polls from previous two elections that show minorities who move from "Blue" states to "Red" actually vote in higher numbers for conservative candidates. Even the Democrats who win in the region either are (or have to act like) conservatives to have any electoral success.

Last, but not least, there is a recent chart of jobs gained by actual number and by percentage change from 2010-2019 posted here on C-D. But I can't get it right now b/c I'm on my phone. But it shows the top metro areas of over 1 million people. The key thing to notice about that list is that the highest percentages are in 'Red' states, with notable exceptions of the high tech areas of California. Now that those same tech companies are moving to places like Tennessee too, that list will only get more 'top heavy' with 'Red' states. Nashville is ranked second on that list with almost 300,000 new jobs, behind only Austin.

Last edited by shinestx; 04-01-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,662,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post

People-let's use logic..
How do you define "logic"?

Why don't you just tell us what answer you want? Asking a question and then berating and insulting those who offer sensible and accurate answers isn't a recommended method.

Sure, they say 100 people a day are moving here, but only about 15 of those 100 are moving into the city proper. The rest are moving to surrounding counties, according to the MPO.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM

810 posts, read 876,681 times
I do not believe that Political leanings are the main reason Tennessee and Nashville are growing, such as being a Red state that people are flocking to. By this logic, states such as Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Missouri and Indiana should all be growing rapidly as well and this is not the case.

I do believe that Tennessee’s favorable tax laws and no State Income Tax are appealing to businesses and people alike. Other than that, I think Tennessee is a savvy advertiser and tourist destination that encourages people to move here. To be honest, not really sure why so many people love to move Tennessee. It’s not a bad place at all, but I just don’t get the appeal. My company re-located me here from Kentucky but I much prefer Kentucky to Tennessee and I am originally from the Midwest.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:03 PM

4,337 posts, read 4,693,599 times
I moved here only because my job moved here. And my company moved A number of jobs here only because of the lower cost-of-living (office leases, etc.) and because of the massive tax breaks that we received (this was 5+ years ago). And also that when they hired people here they could pay much less than what they salaries they were replacing.

The weather and the location had nothing to do with it. There was a short list of four cities and Nashville was the one that they figured they could get at least part of the people they wanted to transfer to move to. They did not want to have to start from ground zero. (Less than 30% offered the transfer moved and of those who moved, only about half of us are left.)

Old 04-01-2019, 02:29 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,488,009 times
Sounds like a really crummy company. Those are such ephemeral reasons to move a company. Why are you still there? You've commented incessantly how much you hate Nashville.

It's a fact that many retirees from Northeast and Midwest states move to Tennessee b/c it's NOT the hottest place in the south. And they like four seasons. Also, many move to Florida, and then to Tennessee when they find they don't like everything about it. There's even a nickname for them, "half-backs". Companies also have been known to move to TN for the same reason. Nissan even mentioned Nashville's weather and specifically the cherry trees, the city being at the same latitude as Tokyo when they expanded operations in Smyrna. Also, there's a rough (imaginary) line that cuts north of Nashville as a typical weather band. During winter there's a lot more snow above (north of) that line. Nashville gets far less snow than most of Kentucky, just a few miles up the highway. Anyone who has lived in a place that gets lots of snow (as I have) knows how much it sucks in March when you're still getting snow and the rest of the country is enjoying spring. And let's face it, old people just can't stand cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville