Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times

Advertisements

Wow interesting info on these cities, how did you do this? I am wondering what the same source shows for DFW and Houston as well as San Antonio metro's as well as Orlando.

It paints a very clear picture of who is growing and who already has talls on its sky line. Great job, paints a nice clear word picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:22 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Wow interesting info on these cities, how did you do this? I am wondering what the same source shows for DFW and Houston as well as San Antonio metro's as well as Orlando.

It paints a very clear picture of who is growing and who already has talls on its sky line. Great job, paints a nice clear word picture
I did sort of rogue research, hahaha. I went to Wikipedia and looked at each cities' tallest buildings, and cross referenced with lists of proposed and under construction for each of those cities.

I did a quick bit of look-up for DFW, Houston and San Antonio. Orlando was included in my initial comment. Orlando is unique though in that there are as many high-rises over 300 feet outside of its downtown, as in its direct downtown. I think there are 6-8 and several more under construction, scattered throughout Orlando and its suburbs. (hotel/resort/condo highrises mostly)

Dallas 40+ (6 under construction/proposed)
Fort Worth 11 (3 under construction/proposed)
San Antonio 10 (3 under construction/proposed)
Houston 60+ (2 under construction/proposed)

Dallas and Houston are in another stratosphere compared to cities like Nashville, Tampa, Kansas City, etc, with regards to skyscrapers.

Nashville should have in the range of 30-35 skyscrapers +/- over 300 feet, completed by 2025.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I did sort of rogue research, hahaha. I went to Wikipedia and looked at each cities' tallest buildings, and cross referenced with lists of proposed and under construction for each of those cities.

I did a quick bit of look-up for DFW, Houston and San Antonio. Orlando was included in my initial comment. Orlando is unique though in that there are as many high-rises over 300 feet outside of its downtown, as in its direct downtown. I think there are 6-8 and several more under construction, scattered throughout Orlando and its suburbs. (hotel/resort/condo highrises mostly)

Dallas 40+ (6 under construction/proposed)
Fort Worth 11 (3 under construction/proposed)
San Antonio 10 (3 under construction/proposed)
Houston 60+ (2 under construction/proposed)

Dallas and Houston are in another stratosphere compared to cities like Nashville, Tampa, Kansas City, etc, with regards to skyscrapers.

Nashville should have in the range of 30-35 skyscrapers +/- over 300 feet, completed by 2025.
Interesting. I see now. One thing missed in your approach is where a city has suburbs with high rises? For example I live in Plano, less then 300k population suburb of DFW but we have a few towers in three business parks in our city. Same but lesser extent in Houston, not any other cities around it but the Woodlands is a suburb that ha high rises too. However your methodology misses Cool Springs offices and any other suburb towers too?

Nashville is moving much higher by this measure than it is by population is my view.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-06-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Interesting. I see now. One thing missed in your approach is where a city has suburbs with high rises? For example I live in Plano, less then 300k population suburb of DFW but we have a few towers in three business parks in our city. Same but lesser extent in Houston, not any other cities around it but the Woodlands is a suburb that ha high rises too. However your methodology misses Cool Springs offices and any other suburb towers too?

Nashville is moving much higher by this measure than it is by population is my view.
Yeah, I didn't include the suburbs in that search. I'm sure the cities have some taller towers surrounding, in various suburbs for sure.

Would be interesting to look that up. I might dig into that when I have more time.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM

It sounds like a great research assignment for urban planners or architects for intern jobs. It is alot of work to collect comparable info.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:17 PM

21 posts, read 23,145 times
Default Nashville Skyline

Until Nashville starts getting towers over 600-700 feet tall in my opinion it’s skyline is not as impressive as Indianapolis, Austin, Charlotte and even KC. All have taller buildings. Nashville has a bunch of 20-30 story building which populate the skyline but give it a squatty look.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
They're coming. Already one building is taller than anything in most of those cities. There are two on the boards... one with a Four Seasons which none of those cities has. Nashville mirrors Austin more than any other place. Charlotte is sort of a mini Atlanta wannabe and Kansas City is sort of out there in its own western... or midwestern... limbo. It simply has been edged out in regional importance by Denver. And it's so sparsely populated around KC. Indianapolis has a couple of buildings taller than Nashville, but Nashville beats by a long shot on numbers of buildings. But none of those cities' downtowns can hold a candle to Nashville's activity downtown. And Nashville is just getting started. Look at the Nashville skyline and the imagine the presence of just 1 or 2 700' towers. Game changer. One building is just under that... and will break ground this year. With Amazon & all the support companies, there will be very tall towers coming.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM

Good points. I hope it happens.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM

I just hate that the interference of the Hermitage Hotel squelched the new proposed Giarrantana skyscraper, which would have been well over 600 feet.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7543 View Post
I just hate that the interference of the Hermitage Hotel squelched the new proposed Giarrantana skyscraper, which would have been well over 600 feet.
Is that what happened? That is frustrating.

Did it have to do with the park that the skyscraper would've been built on? I had read it would've been 750 feet--IF you are referring to the Paramount Tower by Giarrantana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville