Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Really!?! I'm very surprised to hear that. You are the first person I've heard, to indicate Nashville is dangerous.

I'd be interested in hearing why you say it is unsafe.

I've lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Tucson, San Antonio, Atlanta, and a couple more and I'm considering a Nashville move in early 2020 myself.

Watch the news any morning, or NextDoor or via the Ring doorbell neighborhood app. There are usually multiple shootings in all areas, plus break-ins, package thefts and assaults.

When I first moved here and moved into my apartment (Gulch), there were guys walking around trying doorknobs looking for people moving in with stuff not being watched and things haven't much changed. When I bought my house, the first thing I was told to do (by almost everyone) was to get a security system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Really!?! I'm very surprised to hear that. You are the first person I've heard, to indicate Nashville is dangerous.

I'd be interested in hearing why you say it is unsafe.

I've lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Tucson, San Antonio, Atlanta, and a couple more and I'm considering a Nashville move in early 2020 myself.

I agree with her.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I would disagree with some of what was said before in regards to all of Nashville being unsafe. I have lived in urban Nashville and there are plenty of places that I would feel comfortable walking around. Obviously, there are places that I wouldn't feel comfortable as well just like any city. I would personally have no problem living in Hillsboro Village, Midtown, West End, downtown, or the Gulch. Parts of Sobro do feel somewhat isolated, although other parts of Sobro feel very safe.

I would also add that the perception of safety is incredibly inaccurate. Feeling safe doesn't mean you are or are not safe. It's an emotional response generally drive by isolation instead of actual data.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post

There are usually multiple shootings in all areas, plus break-ins, package thefts and assaults.
Not in ALL areas. Mostly in the same few areas.

But the most concerning thing has been the incredible increase in brazen teen crime, committed by kids who most likely are motivated and equipped by gang members and not smart or worldly enough to understand the reality of what they're doing.

Property crime has spread regionally to areas where it was once rare, including car thefts, so you have to be on guard 24/7.

I mostly am concerned about the administration of the Metro police department, and hope that they get their heads out of their ***** and new leadership soon.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Not in ALL areas. Mostly in the same few areas.

Not anymore. It's spread to places like Bellevue. But yes, the teen crime is disturbing.

Quote:
I mostly am concerned about the administration of the Metro police department

Not to mention the fact that the police dept. can't hire enough officers to keep up with the growth of the city.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
I would disagree with some of what was said before in regards to all of Nashville being unsafe. I have lived in urban Nashville and there are plenty of places that I would feel comfortable walking around. Obviously, there are places that I wouldn't feel comfortable as well just like any city. I would personally have no problem living in Hillsboro Village, Midtown, West End, downtown, or the Gulch. Parts of Sobro do feel somewhat isolated, although other parts of Sobro feel very safe.

I would also add that the perception of safety is incredibly inaccurate. Feeling safe doesn't mean you are or are not safe. It's an emotional response generally drive by isolation instead of actual data.
When did you live in urban Nashville? Things have changed rapidly in the last few years. All of those areas have had problems in the last few years.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Watch the news any morning, or NextDoor or via the Ring doorbell neighborhood app. There are usually multiple shootings in all areas, plus break-ins, package thefts and assaults.

When I first moved here and moved into my apartment (Gulch), there were guys walking around trying doorknobs looking for people moving in with stuff not being watched and things haven't much changed. When I bought my house, the first thing I was told to do (by almost everyone) was to get a security system.
That's a shame for sure! But as you know, all big cities have some level of crime, so I think safety for every person, is all relative and unique to that person, in terms of how unsafe/safe they consider an area to be.

When I lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan, moving from a small town in the south, my friends and family almost had a heart attack thinking it was "the scariest crime ridden place on earth." Well, it was not.

I lived in NYC for 11 years between the two boroughs, and saw a ton of crime on the news and occurring daily. It was not that scary or uncomfortable to me at all. I used street smarts and common sense basically.

As far as Nashville goes, as mentioned, that is not good, and I suppose it is growth pains. But Nashville certainly is not on the level as other higher crime urban areas you read about, such as Cleveland, or St Louis, or Baltimore--or even Memphis.

I hope crime goes down, but in big cities, crime is unfortunately always going to be a factor to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville