Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Thanks for the input.. People have been helpful.. It seems in Tampa, even in the far out suburbs if you spend under $1100/mo you are going to be stuck around some shady people or in questionable apartment complexes or neighborhoods.

It's nice to see Nashville area still has some affordable (relatively) outer suburbs. Yeah, I am starting to re-think Clarksville after what people are saying. It definitely would be less than ideal for me, but I just liked how cheap the prices were around there and that I could get a duplex or something. But, places tend to be cheap for a reason. I did spend a night there , but hardly got to see the town. It seems very rural-like and I had no clue staying near the freeway it was as large as it was. But, many say its a bedroom community to Fort Campbell and doesn't have much activities going on for a city its size.

I may just end up finding an AirBnb in Nashville area and trying to find an affordable rental in the outer suburbs. Some people told me Antioch has a lot of crime and to avoid it. GatorFan, I saw you mentioned Antioch, what's your take on these people's claims about the area? One thing I would avoid is living near the train tracks. I am noise sensitive and constant train sounds would drive me crazy. I'm trying to find the quietest and safest area I can for my budget and size needs.

Hey SeriousConversation.. Just saw your post and overlooked it previously. Yeah, I have no dreams of living in Columbia, TN, but because of how desperate my situation has become, I kind of just want to end up in a place that is quiet, safe and I can get my work done so I can get back on my feet. I really don't care about making friends with all the local towns folk or hanging out at the local events or spending time in the local bars. I've lived in some seedy towns in Oregon and Washington, where I would avoid hanging in the town and just drive farther into the city, so I could keep a low profile. I'd probably live a similar life style in some of these smaller Tennessee towns or outer suburbs too.

My one fear about these cheaper places in Murfreesboro is I will be living side-by-side with noisy college kids who will be partying until the late hours of the evening. College kids make miserable neighbors from my experience and complexes that rent to them tend to not enforce noise issues. That is why I kind of feel I would need a place that is a bit more in Murfreesboro and far from the university.
You don't want to live in Columbia. Trust me.

Murfreesboro would be a good fit, if you can find something at your price point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Not true. It's called "Friendliest" big city by numerous surveys. As with any large city, it's attracted a lot of people from all over. They may bring an unfriendly element, but not enough to change the city in that regard. People still give you breaks in traffic and open doors and greet you in public. That almost never happens in any other large city where I've been, except for a few of the mid/large Canadian cities.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:28 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Nashville, in my opinion, is a very friendly city. Any decent sized city will have “rude” people but they are few in Nashville. Most folks have been very kind to me since I moved here one year ago. I also think most people are courteous in traffic and will let you over when changing lanes, etc. The suburbs are also very friendly.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Well, I guess I am very lucky and now it's official! I am moving to Nashville, TN! I found a brand new luxury apartment near the city around 1100 sq ft and around $1200/mom. Pretty shocked ,as I was getting very disgruntled and thinking I would have to settle for a smaller apartment farther away. But, I will only be 25 minutes from the city center. I've enjoyed my stay in Nashville area and didn't realize how country the area is when you get out of the city. As well, the city is very clean and much nicer than anything I Have experienced out West. I was expecting gritty, run-down, gangs, homeless, but I have hardly seen any of that. I'm sure there are bad areas, but compared to Denver or Seattle it is a much nicer and cleaner city overall and it shocked me.

There definitely is that hipster transplant element in the city, but I have found many people to be pretty friendly and a lot nicer than what I experienced in the Northwest or Colorado. I like the lively music scene going on. Nashville does feel pretty liberal , but the surrounding towns feels more traditional. I actually like Murfreesboro and found people in that town to be real friendly.

The women in this city are absolutely gorgeous, but I am probably too old and ugly to date any of them. They are young and beautiful and really try to make themselves attractive; unlike Denver. Haha.. But, nice to see so many gorgeous women.. Wow.. Just wow..

The people here don't seem so depressed and reclusive like in Denver or Seattle. People seem to talk to each other more. I hung out with some musicians last night and made friends with them and supported their music. People are exceptionally polite. No rudeness.. Not many natives in the inner city, but a lot of Tennessee natives on the outskirts and I really like the Southern people. They seem to represent a friendlier version of myself Oregon hillbilly self. I am not the nicest guy I come to realize. Probably because I grew up in an environment where people just don't trust anyone. People even make conversation with each other in the public restrooms here Hahaha, nice to see some friendly and normal people again after living halfway between Earth and the Moon for a year (aka Colorado )

Anyhow, Nashville may just be a temporary place for me while I get back on my feet and try to get an online software job and try to overcome my disability.

I'm looking forward to flying back to Colorado, packing up my house and hauling my truck to Nashville. And, I have to say, it will be nice to be back in Dixie. Tennessee is a gorgeous state. I have to say that I fell in love with the beauty of Chattanooga.. The town seemed a bit too liberal for me, but who knows, maybe I will spend some time there and make a better assessment. I loved all the old buildings, the character of the city and the lush forest scenery and the large hills surrounding it. It was unique and a spectacular sight to behold. Monteagle Mountain was fun to drive over while playing the Johnny Cash song. I even snapped a shot of the famous Runaway Truck Ramp.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their help and assistance here.. And, howdy new neighbors

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-15-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 01:41 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Nashville is at national average for at least partly sunny days, which is about 205 days per year. Above average in rain and in every month of the year including summer. Above 60 for average highs 9 months of the year. 3 months of average winter highs in high 40s or low 50s. That is not cold, relative speaking. Neither imo are winter lows averaging near freezing. Some colder snaps are possible but they are not that frequent or usually long.

A typical winter day will have cloudy periods but probably some partly sunny too. Or one or a couple days one way, followed by the opposite.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustn0357

Old 08-16-2019, 05:09 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
I didn’t read this to see how they come up with their list....but....here’s a list....

https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Du...d--572747.html

Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM

The weather has been awesome , cool sunny .. It sure is nice to be at sea level.. It even got cold last night. You never feel cold weather in Colorado until Fall and then it becomes brutally cold very quick. I have no idea what the winters are like, but I bet they are much nicer than the Pacific Northwest and definitely nicer than Colorado. Will be nice not to dig myself out of snow in May.. That is nice

Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 PM

192 posts, read 257,877 times
Our society in general has become rude, crude, and degeneracy is fashionable. The past three years of Nashville have been drastic. Nashville isn't really here anymore, it died. The whole appeal of the town was that is was small and cheap to live here. It's only cheap to people giving up LA or NYC now. I had a nervous breakdown today dealing with it. I'm probably forced out now, it would cost 100k just to repair my little house to the neighborhood standards. That's almost the price of a new build just 60 miles out. it's insane, it's they actually hurting a lot of people like myself who intended to retire here, and now may have to move once more at such a fragile time in life. I would only suggest you will like it if you have a real carrer job that will engage you like being a college professor at Vanderbilt. Otherwise I wouldn't just move here on a whim anymore the way people used to. If you like Alcohol of course that helps. The fact that I don't drink segragates me from 90% of Nashville society in the first place.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
It seems that you moved from the Northwest, to North Carolina, to Colorado, to Tampa and now Nashville in about a year or so. You might want to give a place a bit more time, the first year is always the hardest.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It seems that you moved from the Northwest, to North Carolina, to Colorado, to Tampa and now Nashville in about a year or so. You might want to give a place a bit more time, the first year is always the hardest.
I only lived in North Carolina for two months and left, because I was in a crappy living situation (I would have stayed) and decided instead of finding another place there I would try out Colorado instead. I couldn't afford to stay in Colorado even if wanted to stay here, which I don't. Of course, I have spent a good majority of my life in the Pacific Northwest and never even lived outside the Northwest (except when I was kid) until just 3 years ago.

When did I live in Tampa? I'd be interested to know.. Last i checked I never lived in Florida and only got to see Florida for the first time in my life three weeks ago. I actually really liked Tampa and wanted to move there, but I couldn't find any place within my price range and worried I may end up living way too far out from where I may have to find work. Actually, Tampa was my first choice and that is where I kind of wanted to live. But, Nashville was my second pick and I got real lucky and find a pretty affordable place to live.

Yes, I agree, I got to give it time. Considering I have no more money to move and fighting off a disability that will limit my work options, Tennessee will probably be where I Live for a long, long time. But, I am looking forward to it.

I was shocked at how friendly people were in Tampa and I liked the scenery. However, I find the scenery in Nashville area to be just as enchanting and beautiful. In fact, I would say Middle Tennessee has even nicer scenery than Florida. The countryside is pretty spectacular. Nashville feels a little more mainstream, trendy and liberal than Tampa. However, I really like the more Southern people I met out of the city and kind of feel I may be able to relate to the native Tennessean people. Nashville seems fairly friendly for a big, trendy city, but it does seem reminiscent of many other cities. But, I really don't know the place. Maybe it will be a more enjoyable experience and easier to meet people than Denver. The city, itself, doesn't feel Southern at all though. It kind of reminded me of a more clean, organized and bit nicer version of Portland, Oregon. If Portland wasn't full of deranged homeless people, junkies and garbage, it could have easily been Nashville. The old neighborhoods in Nashville were very quaint, clean and reminded me of the nice parts of Irvington and Hawthorne in Portland. Of course, I will be working 60+ hour weeks and just trying to survive, so trying to have a social life anywhere will probably not be easy.

I enjoyed the culture and people I met in places like Murfreesboro, Lebanon and the outer parts of the city. It was kind of shocking how many people in Nashville don't even have Southern accents, but once you get out of the city it feels very Southern. But, Tennessee people seem lot friendlier than even North Carolina. After hearing about how outsiders are not liked some places in the South, I was pretty shocked at friendliness to somebody who didn't have a Southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville