Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM

207 posts, read 213,609 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possibly relocating and Brentwood is on our list due to the highly regarded schools. We are planning a trip soon to scout the area, however, I'm a bit concerned about what I've heard from friends regarding the town's reputation for being a bit snobby/entitled.

I'd really like some perspective from the folks on this forum with regards to that topic without trying to cause drama. Just looking for some honest opinions, while trying to narrow down areas.

We would be coming from top schools in the Chicago suburbs, which is why education is such a high priority. We're currently living in a very affluent area, however, my preference would be a place where socio economic levels are a bit more diverse. I'd like to think that we're fairly down-to-earth/simple people, but want to provide our kids with the best education we can. Our children fall into the gifted/talented realm, so we need a district that has a proven track record when it comes to working with these types of students.

Finally, are there any other towns that we should consider? From what I've researched, it appears that Franklin schools also perform well, but potentially not as high as Brentwood?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:07 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
As rarely as I can. It's suburban sprawl.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
As rarely as I can. It's suburban sprawl.
Ha! Agree.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
We would be coming from top schools in the Chicago suburbs, which is why education is such a high priority. We're currently living in a very affluent area, however, my preference would be a place where socio economic levels are a bit more diverse.
Do you want socio-economic diversity in your town, your neighborhood, or your children's school/district? Or all of the above?

I guess, what is the aim for living somewhere with more socio-economic diversity? Do you generally just not want your kids to be sheltered? Because there can be other ways of going about it aside from where you choose to live or send your kids to school.

Quote:
I'd like to think that we're fairly down-to-earth/simple people, but want to provide our kids with the best education we can. Our children fall into the gifted/talented realm, so we need a district that has a proven track record when it comes to working with these types of students.
What it sounds like is the best fit would be a magnet school (several districts have them)....the problem is that you aren't guaranteed admission (especially just moving to town) to get into one. Metro/Davidson County (Nashville) has two top notch magnet schools -- but if you don't get into one of those, the rest of the district leaves a bit to be desired. A lot of affluent families in the county send their kids to private school (speaking of which, is that option on the table at all?)

Quote:
Finally, are there any other towns that we should consider? From what I've researched, it appears that Franklin schools also perform well, but potentially not as high as Brentwood?
I would say the overall difference between Brentwood and Franklin schools will be minimal, but I would differ the *individual* school questions to a resident of that county. Keep in mind that Franklin actually has a separate school district for some areas that is K-8.

You could also supplement your children's education with private tutors or other programs if you feel like there is a gap in what they are receiving versus where you think they can go.

Williamson County Schools are generally highly regarded, but what your kids get out of them is largely dependent on them. The same goes for most of the school districts in the area. Within the county, other options could include Nolensville,which used to be a sleepy middle class village, but is now turning into a more affluent small burb -- and Spring Hill, which is great if you want to live in an affordable mess of a town that literally does not understand the definition of planning. Forget about Fairview, unless you want your kids to drive jacked up trucks to school.

Given your wants, I would lean towards Franklin right now. It doesn't necessarily check all the boxes. But more of them.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 AM

384 posts, read 229,196 times

photo re-use approved per google images

These are the recent national merit semi-finalists in Rutherford County.

Many of them attend the highly respected Central Magnet in Murfreesboro which is open zoned.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post
photo re-use approved per google images

These are the recent national merit semi-finalists in Rutherford County.

Many of them attend the highly respected Central Magnet in Murfreesboro which is open zoned.
Rutherford County is a long drive to Nashville if that's where they we will be working. There is no comparison to Brentwood , not even close.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Do you want socio-economic diversity in your town, your neighborhood, or your children's school/district? Or all of the above?

I guess, what is the aim for living somewhere with more socio-economic diversity? Do you generally just not want your kids to be sheltered? Because there can be other ways of going about it aside from where you choose to live or send your kids to school.

What it sounds like is the best fit would be a magnet school (several districts have them)....the problem is that you aren't guaranteed admission (especially just moving to town) to get into one. Metro/Davidson County (Nashville) has two top notch magnet schools -- but if you don't get into one of those, the rest of the district leaves a bit to be desired. A lot of affluent families in the county send their kids to private school (speaking of which, is that option on the table at all?)

I would say the overall difference between Brentwood and Franklin schools will be minimal, but I would differ the *individual* school questions to a resident of that county. Keep in mind that Franklin actually has a separate school district for some areas that is K-8.

You could also supplement your children's education with private tutors or other programs if you feel like there is a gap in what they are receiving versus where you think they can go.

Williamson County Schools are generally highly regarded, but what your kids get out of them is largely dependent on them. The same goes for most of the school districts in the area. Within the county, other options could include Nolensville,which used to be a sleepy middle class village, but is now turning into a more affluent small burb -- and Spring Hill, which is great if you want to live in an affordable mess of a town that literally does not understand the definition of planning. Forget about Fairview, unless you want your kids to drive jacked up trucks to school.

Given your wants, I would lean towards Franklin right now. It doesn't necessarily check all the boxes. But more of them.
Thanks for your feedback!

We view socio-economic diversity as a learning experience, along with laying the groundwork for truly appreciating what one has. I also worry about surrounding my children amongst peers in which the majority have a sense of entitlement. We believe in hard work and not handing everything to our children on silver platters. We also do not put much emphasis on materials, keeping up with the Jones, etc. nor are we drawn to families that have these values. It's just not us.

I have NO IDEA if this is the mentality in Brentwood, but this is honestly my largest concern based on what I've read and heard from friends who reside in the Nashville area, which is why I was hoping to get some other perspectives here. As I mentioned, we are currently in a very affluent area and I would love to change the socioeconomic diversity here (or lack there of).

Charter schools make me nervous for the reasons you gave, and we would really prefer public over private. Our kids are bright, and they're also dedicated students who take school seriously.

Do you happen to know how Brentwood and Franklin schools compare to each other with regards to meeting the needs of GT children?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Rutherford County is a long drive to Nashville if that's where they we will be working. There is no comparison to Brentwood , not even close.
Both my husband and I would be working remotely (from home) full-time, so we can literally live anywhere. I should have mentioned that in my initial post!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I agree with Nashvols -that what your children get out of any education is largely up to them. Also I believe that gifted and talented kids can be served outside of the normal school curriculum, probably in a more personal and meaningful way.

How old are your children? What about living in an affluent area of Chicago did you not like? When you said you can live ANYWHERE - did you mean you don't need to move to Tennessee but for some reason this is where you chose?

Have you checked out the websites for the schools? For instance, this is Brentwood High:

https://www.wcs.edu/bhs/

And this is Franklin High:

https://www.wcs.edu/fhs/

Although they are not the only high schools in Williamson County/ Brentwood/Franklin. But you can see what courses they offer.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:40 PM

384 posts, read 229,196 times
Quote:
Both my husband and I would be working remotely (from home) full-time, so we can literally live anywhere. I should have mentioned that in my initial post!
There are lots of new houses near the Stewarts Creek campus in Rutherford.

http://www.musiccitymasonry.com/wp-c...9021463252.jpg

K through 12 all on one campus too at Stew Creek

Last edited by JMT; 08-14-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville