U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM

127 posts, read 180,720 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Shelby County, TN to Williamson County. From what I can tell on the county website, it looks like I don't need to update my vehicle registration address until its due in ten months - at which time I register in Williamson. Is that correct? I don't want to incur a fine for not following the rules, but the website says nothing about a time frame so I'm unsure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 AM

3,753 posts, read 6,589,021 times
Good Question! I have read that you need to notify the state of your move within 10 days. And that your car registration needs to be updated. Not sure about the plates, though. One of the MOST important things would be making sure your car insurance reflects your move.

Here is info on changing your address.

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and...r-address.html

And I'd call the Williamson County Clerk's office to ask about the plates.

https://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/161/County-Clerk

Old 09-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much! Although I just spent half an hour waiting on the phone for the county clerk, only to be unceremoniously disconnected.

I just sent an email to the clerk. Hopefully someone will respond. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:22 AM

UPDATE:

I just received an email from the county clerks's office:

"You do not need an emissions until it is time to renew your tags."

So there we have it. I'll just wait until my tags from Shelby County are about to expire, then I'll just register here in Williamson County with my emissions test. I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for steering me to the right place, CountryGirl2b!

Old 09-27-2019, 11:33 AM

3,753 posts, read 6,589,021 times
You're very welcome! The City/County Clerk is the liaison between the people and the government. This office will answer your questions or point you in the right direction. Most good sized cities will have a Clerk's office - so if you move again or have any other questions, hit them up!

Old 09-28-2019, 12:43 PM

I didn't know that!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:32 PM

7,843 posts, read 10,271,140 times
I'm on Texas I think our registration is state wide not by county but recall seeing county names on TN plates. Of course Tx registration is under a hundred yearly. But we have registrations offices in most decent sized cities for the county. It's an office combined with property tax. Sounds like TN is similar except for the plates having the county listed on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville