U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,329,091 times

Advertisements

I was pretty upset to hear that my local Wilson County Recycling center does not take any glass for recycling. I called several of the recycle places all throughout Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson, Wilson counties and none of them do glass recycling. How can in almost 2020 with the current state of our environment can a state that is as large as Tennessee waste such a highly used resource? I also noticed at my apartment complex people throw out all their paper and cardboard. They offer no recycling services here.

Yes, I grew up in Oregon and saw massive deforestation and environmental destruction where I lived (Oregon Coast was the worst, but whole state is heavily clear-cutted) and even though I don't like to classify myself as a "tree hugger", I certainly am a very staunch environmentalist and know that taking care of the environment and minimize waste and resources as much as possible is important . I am not one of those people who condemn people driving gas guzzling cars or anything like that. But, to throw away something as easily recyclable as cardboard, paper products and glass is quite shocking to me. When I lived in North Carolina they had a wonderful recycling program and recycled almost everything and offered curb-side recycling.

If I had a pickup truck (how I hate that I got rid of mine), I would actually go and talk to my apartment manager and offer to do all their cardboard recycling once a week for them if they let me.. I will literally haul as much of that stuff as I can to the recycle center which is not far from where I live. I just cannot fathom why they even allow people to throw away so much recyclable cardboard?

But, also what happens with all this glass waste?

Anyhow, there isn't much I can think to do about this wasted cardboard epidemic at my apartment complex now, but I am trying to think what I can do to recycle all my glass products? I think if I ship it to family members in Oregon to recycle, the waste of fuel shipping it and prohibitive shipping costs would outweigh the environmental benefits.

Is there any private organization, NGO, environmental group in the Greater Nashville area that offers any type of glass recycling? I would even be willing to pay for it if it is a reasonable amount. I called a few places I found on the internet, but they never bothered returning my call. I appreciate anyone's help here.

Does Davidson county not offer any curbside recycling at all, especially for large apartment complexes? Maybe Wilson county is a lost cause on this issue. I would think Nashville, being more "progressive" would possibly be doing something different. Does anyone know any private organizations, NGOs, groups that work together to come and offer to help recycle paper products like cardboard from large apartment complexes or even businesses like where I live? I would assume most businesses here must do recycling of their paper products or do they?

Sorry, I guess I found this to be something that bothers me and was a bit shocked. Hoping I can find a way to at least recycle my glass.

P.S.

I called up a few recycling facilities that told me they had containers that look like glass recycling containers, but he told me they actually don't really recycle them but just send them to the landfill to be buried.. Ugh.. Some people may think they are actually recycling their glass, but are just wasting time, money and effort to actually throw their glass away; when it would be the same as putting it in the garbage.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 09-26-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:05 AM

49,943 posts, read 54,563,455 times
As you know, things are different here.

The city of Lebanon does have a curbside recycling program. You must be outside the city limits. But apartment complexes often don't participate and opt for a private hauler. Your best hope is to petition the corporate owner of the complex to begin a recycling service.

Or ... Maybe stop using so much glass? I almost never have glass trash unless I throw out a random jelly jar. Are we talking beer bottles? Try switching to cans and haul it in your trunk to the recycling center in Mt. Juliet.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,279,161 times
Like most recyclables these days, there's just not a large market for glass to recycle. Gallatin tried to recycle glass a couple of years ago, but after not being able to find a buyer for it, ended up grinding it up and mixing it with their pavement. Not every town has the ability to do that.

As to cardboard, a lot of that also ends up in a landfill, even if you drive it to a recycling center, because of food and other contamination. And some months its still taken to the landfill because processing and shipping it costs more than its worth. And in some cases, the recycling center would actually have to pay someone to take it, rather than sell it.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:53 AM

3,758 posts, read 6,601,536 times
Sometimes the best recycling is the stuff you do yourself. Reusing bubble wrap envelopes, using glass containers for pens, paint brushes . . . China is no longer processing our recycling:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-trash/584131/

In truth, our products are SO over packaged! Partly for contamination (Tylenol 1982) and theft. I spent 10 minutes trying to break into a huge plastic 'case' then held a $12 pair of ear buds! Then there's the giant cereal boxes that hold a much smaller bag of cereal.

It's getting to the point where the cost of recycling is getting to be too high.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:25 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,136,386 times
Quote:
Or ... Maybe stop using so much glass?
What an unhelpful recommendation. And you obviously don’t drink wine.

OPer - As you are finding out, this place is a back water in many ways compared to the west. l use Just Glass and they come pick up my glass every other week. Not sure if they are out your way but they list the zip codes.

https://justice-industries.chargifyp...y-glass-pickup

Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 AM

40,520 posts, read 52,717,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Like most recyclables these days, there's just not a large market for glass to recycle. Gallatin tried to recycle glass a couple of years ago, but after not being able to find a buyer for it, ended up grinding it up and mixing it with their pavement. Not every town has the ability to do that.

As to cardboard, a lot of that also ends up in a landfill, even if you drive it to a recycling center, because of food and other contamination. And some months its still taken to the landfill because processing and shipping it costs more than its worth. And in some cases, the recycling center would actually have to pay someone to take it, rather than sell it.
Actually mixing cullet (waste glass) into asphalt for parking lots and low speed roads (say a totally residential street) is an accepted and appropriate use. It allows you to bulk up the asphalt and lower per mile cost for paving.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Wrong on both counts.

In fact, the first step in the recycling process is REDUCE.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

Of course, the OP may decide it would be a more feasible choice to get the entire apartment complex to adapt rather than consider that he might have a habit HE can change that would make his life easier.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post

OPer - As you are finding out, this place is a back water in many ways compared to the west. l use Just Glass and they come pick up my glass every other week. Not sure if they are out your way but they list the zip codes.

https://justice-industries.chargifyp...y-glass-pickup
Thanks for this information N.Cal.. It doesn't look like they service my area, but I will check if they have any type of facility to where I can maybe drive the bottles for a drop-off, even if they charge me a fee (as long as it is reasonable).

I try reusing as much as I can.. In fact, my main drinking glass is an old mayonnaise container and I have boxes and boxes of glass jars and containers. However, plastic is a toxic substance (even BPA free containers can have petroleum by-products).

Interesting article, even BPA free plastic can be quite toxic:
https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...safe-20140611/

Not to mention , even with recycling, as we seen in the above articles, there is waste that results and energy used to make more plastic. To me, plastic is almost a substance that should never have existed and is harmful to our health. I try to minimize my plastic use, to be honest, because of negative effects to the body, including estrogenic properties it contains. Putting acidic or fermented foods in plastic is really bad for you as it easily reacts with the chemicals in the plastic. Glass, on the other hand, is inert and much healthier medium to store food and liquids. All my water I have which is sourced from my reverse-osmosis water filter is put into 1 gallon glass jars that I reuse over the years.

However, there is just no way that I can give up using glass and if we could just get passed recycling for profit and consider it a service to humanity to recycle it, so we can preserve the Earth. If our Earth deteriorates , then I think not making money on recycling would be the least of our problems. People want to raise taxes for so many things, but somehow recycling and the environment takes a backseat. And, I could see some horrible environmental devastation where I lived. I get squeamish seeing large amounts of wasted paper products. In addition, we use to have large amounts of garbage wash upon the Oregon Coast where I use to live from China. Sometimes our beaches looked like garbage dumps when the garbage would come flowing in from Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wrong on both counts.

In fact, the first step in the recycling process is REDUCE.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

Of course, the OP may decide it would be a more feasible choice to get the entire apartment complex to adapt rather than consider that he might have a habit HE can change that would make his life easier.
BirdieBelle, I don't disagree with you on reducing unnecessary usage of resources. But, please let me emphasize that I have no desire to change my apartment complex, but just want to do my part. And, yes, if someone would lend me a truck, I would happily drive all the large number of brand new cardboard boxes I am seeing in the dumpster to the local recycling place that is 10 minutes from me and do the service for them. What is wrong with that? I am not trying to change anybody, I am just offering to help devote a little time to do something I wish they would do themselves. I could do my part on my own personal use, but it won't save the 100s of trees being tossed into the garbage in the dumpster of an apartment complex that I believe can house over 1000 or more people. But, as far me, I have had the same moving boxes for over 12 years. Any time I get a shipment in a large box, I try to keep the new box and recycle the older and beaten up box if it is no longer usuable. So, I kind of think I am doing the best I can here? I have a storage place with over 50 used boxes. I never buy new boxes anymore. How can people throw away a brand new moving or shipping box? These are usually some of the easier items to recycle.

Of course, I don't go through tons of glass, but some important food and liquid items I Have with no other viable means of alternatives are in glass and I wish I could recycle them. And, as N. Cal said, we don't all like drinking wine or beer in plastic or aluminum (another highly toxic substance).

Anyway, I wasn't trying to change anyone, just trying to see what services were available to do my best. I have no plans to go knocking on my neighbors doors and tell them to stop what they were doing. And, if I had the means to haul the boxes to the recycle place, I would have just asked the management here if I could recycle them for the complex, not to stop throwing them out. Obviously, people here do what they do and I know I cannot just change people.

I'm glad to hear within the city limits though they offer curbside recycling in the cities here. I could only hope larger apartment complexes and businesses utilize these recycling services. In the Pacific Northwest, I would never see any large business not doing recycling. It could be since this property is out in the country a little bit that they don't offer it. Although, in the Northwest, they had curbside recycling pretty far out of the cities in most places I lived. I just am shocked a complex this size (which could literally be size of a giant factory) just allows everything to be thrown out like this and offers no recycle services themselves, especially with a recycling facility so close by.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 09-28-2019 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

And, yes, if someone would lend me a truck, I would happily drive all the large number of brand new cardboard boxes I am seeing in the dumpster to the local recycling place that is 10 minutes from me and do the service for them. What is wrong with that?
You could still take them in your current vehicle, a few at a time. Just go grab them from the dumpster. It sounds like you need to decide what problems are actually in your "circle of influence" and what things you need to let go.

Quote:
I am not trying to change anybody ....
This ^^^ doesn't ring true. You're shocked and in disbelief that things don't operate here the way they operated where you grew up. Yet people tried to warn you before you moved here that it's not the same.

And you've already brought up raising taxes once in this thread, that governments apparently do that for stuff that's not important (to you) but not recycling. But you need to do more research on what your local city and county actually do with their tax dollars before you come here complaining about what you assume they don't do.

Quote:

Of course, I don't go through tons of glass, but some important food and liquid items I Have with no other viable means of alternatives are in glass and I wish I could recycle them. ... we don't all like drinking wine or beer in plastic or aluminum (another highly toxic substance).
That ^^ is your personal lifestyle choice. If aluminum were a "highly toxic substance," they wouldn't use it in so many things. You could make this problem easier on yourself. You just choose not to.

Quote:

I just am shocked a complex this size (which could literally be size of a giant factory) just allows everything to be thrown out like this and offers no recycle services themselves, especially with a recycling facility so close by.
You could write a letter to the corporate owners asking why they don't, and suggest that they do. Then, of course, they would probably add $30/month to your rent for the privilege of recycling.

The state of our landfills is a big topic for the Nashville Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Middle TN mayors caucus, if you want to take up real advocacy.

https://www.gnrc.org/199/Solid-Waste...ors-RoundTable

Old 09-28-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You could still take them in your current vehicle, a few at a time. Just go grab them from the dumpster. It sounds like you need to decide what problems are actually in your "circle of influence" and what things you need to let go.
No, it's absolutely not possible, because our garbage is thrown into a large bin that is housed by a large concrete structure and has a trash compactor built into it. The compactor also has a sensor on it that automatically compacts trash. That means, if I jumped inside there and attempted to take out the cardboard, I could be literally crushed to death by the machine. As well, the garbage is accessed through a metal latch door that I can barely fit through. Believe me, if I could just so easily grab those boxes I certainly would.

Quote:
This ^^^ doesn't ring true. You're shocked and in disbelief that things don't operate here the way they operated where you grew up. Yet people tried to warn you before you moved here that it's not the same.
I will say again, I am not trying to change anybody, in particular but just do what I can do. Of course, my apartment complex is run by a corporation (that may be national) and I feel they should be held to a higher standard than just any individual. Yes, I am a bit shocked, but that doesn't mean I am trying to change anybody. When I was in Africa, people would throw their garbage into the forest. I may tell people it is better not to do it, but I would just pick up the garbage I saw and put it into a bag and had people try to help me bring it back.

Quote:
And you've already brought up raising taxes once in this thread, that governments apparently do that for stuff that's not important (to you) but not recycling. But you need to do more research on what your local city and county actually do with their tax dollars before you come here complaining about what you assume they don't do.
To me, the environment should always be first priority. That doesn't mean I love high taxes; it is quite the opposite. But to me, if we were to eliminate all taxes on Earth except one, that would be the environment. The environment is the only true communal resource we need to share to survive, whether we like it or not. Life would be horrible, but we could actually live without schools, roads and many things, but not without an Earth. Of course, I feel there is so much wasteful spending that can be redirected to our environment and we would not have to cut money to more important institutions like schools, libraries, roads, etc. I believe we should have some taxes. I don't want to get political here, but I am pretty Libertarian. But, I guess the one exception is environmental issues. I am not an anarchist and do believe in government regulation where it is absolutely needed. But, I wont' go there.. I could care less if you believe in high or low taxes, but know we need to not waste stuff and avoid contaminating our air and water callously. That is the bottom line. The Earth is dying and we need to avoid contaminating the environment and wasting precious resources that could be so easily renewed.

Quote:
That ^^ is your personal lifestyle choice. If aluminum were a "highly toxic substance," they wouldn't use it in so many things. You could make this problem easier on yourself. You just choose not to.
I rarely use aluminum. I try to keep as little of my food in plastic as possible, but that is a hard chore in this modern plastic world. Especially, if now I must minimize glass use. Of course, if we truly cared enough about making food -safe plastic and eliminating use of petroleum based plastics, there is technology that could manufacture vegetable derived plastics. There is even corn-based styrofoam now. But, people don't consider it a priority to manufacture and look into research to improving the quality of these substances. I'd be more than happy to pay more to utilize such items. So telling me I choose not to is not accurate or fair, but just being condescending. I'm not saying I don't have flaws and cannot improve. Everybody can. Basically, I would have to stop using anything that comes in a glass container or be forced to poison myself with plastic. Maybe, I should just start my own farm ,grow my own crops, start my own eco-friendly glass canning operation? I sure wish I had the time in life. Yes, I could have become a farmer, but ended up being a software developer. Shame on me, I know. Maybe one day I can achieve these things. I would be happy if I had that setup in life.

You say I choose to not reduce waste, but I make many decisions that I feel are beneficial to the eco-system. I do many things that I wish I didn't feel like I had to and hope to improve as well.

BTW, please share with us how you manage to reduce your glass use. I like to know what you do here. Do you only purchase products in plastics, aluminum, boxed or canned foods? Do you have your own farm ,canning operation? Grow and can all your own foods? If you have fruit juices in a can, they tend to end up having a rather metallic flavor I am not fond of.

If you think all the resources it takes to ship organic fruits and veggies from California to your supermarket is more eco-friendly than bottled juices you may also reconsider. If they are not organic, the environmental contamination is also significant, as well as potential health risks. The water weight requires significant fuel, so trying to juice your own isn't always an eco-friendly option either. People who eat bananas, apples from New Zealand, mangoes, etc don't realize the strain they are putting on our natural resources with all the fuel required to ship these. All the tropical fruit I eat is dehydrated. I try my best where I can, as I say and always want to do more research.

Quote:
You could write a letter to the corporate owners asking why they don't, and suggest that they do. Then, of course, they would probably add $30/month to your rent for the privilege of recycling.
I Will.. $30/mo more? No problem.. I paid more than that for my garbage/recycling when living in the Pacific Northwest. Try $50/month plus $120/mo for water/sewer. I won't even go into my electric bills.

Quote:
The state of our landfills is a big topic for the Nashville Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Middle TN mayors caucus, if you want to take up real advocacy.

https://www.gnrc.org/199/Solid-Waste...ors-RoundTable

Thanks for this information. I would love to look into it. I guess I took these things for granted living in the Northwest, seeing that they had top-notch recycle programs and I would just put things into the bin and be done with it. As well, there was places I could go to recycle my styrofoam, old gasoline, electronics, etc. I even was able to recycle my tires in the Northwest. That isn't to say I am trying to look down on Tennessee, but just trying to figure out what I can do here to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be any saint or even the most eco-friendly person. I'm just trying to do my best. I've never seen people throw that much cardboard into a dumpster and I never experienced a place that didn't even attempt to recycle glass. So, this is a learning lesson for me. Instead of being upset with me, how about just bearing with me? I understand Tennessee is where Tennessee is, but I am just learning things and trying to work my way around them , rather then condemn people. That is not my intention.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 09-28-2019 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville