Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:12 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

Ha ha ha! I don't know? I mean, there aren't any biscuits that I know of up North. Like there are no grits. Maybe it's because biscuits and grits and red eye gravy are Southern and pizza is really Italian by way of . . . Chicago, New York, New Jersey . . . pizza in Italy tastes nothing like it does here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I second Nick's Deli in Franklin. My husband almost cried when he closed his Cool Springs location.

Home (http://nicksitaliandeli.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,945 times
Pizza threads are funny. Kind of like barbecue discussions -- "This is how we do it where I'm from and everything else is crap."

Having said that, we need more discussions about pizza and barbecue. That way I'm sure not to miss any good new places.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Speaking of BBQ...There is a new one opening called Roosters Texas Style BBQ and Steakhouse. It's at 123 12th Ave N and should be open in two weeks. I quoted some graphics work for him today.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Pizza threads are funny. Kind of like barbecue discussions -- "This is how we do it where I'm from and everything else is crap."

Having said that, we need more discussions about pizza and barbecue. That way I'm sure not to miss any good new places.
Exactly. It is one of those topics like religion and politics...you're sure to get some angry opinions. As evidenced below. But I agree, more discussion is better so we know where to go to check these places out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
That stuff is nasty. When I ate the pizza in Chicago, I might as well have been eating a huge vat of string cheese. This was at one of the "must try" places for tourists, too. Never again. CiCi's makes better pizza than that s---.
I respectfully disagree, of course. It's hearty, tasty and nearly impossible to recreate outside of a Chicago-style pizza parlor. I've investigated making one at home and it's just too hard. You don't like it? Fine. I wasn't asking for a judgement, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Nobody down here does anything close to Giordano's, Malnati's, Nancy's or Uno. This is the thing my wife and I miss most since moving here from Chicago. Pizza in Nashville is just not good.

Lots of people who weren't raised on Chicago style pizza hate it with all their heart, like Pimpy. Those of us from Chicago can't get enough of it.

I've heard Joey's is good, but we can take or leave NY Pizza, so we haven't tried it. We'll just go to Sbarro's or something....
I'm a Nashville native but I do prefer the Chicago style over NY style. I had my first Chicago style pizza at the original Uno's in Chicago. We ate at Duey's the next 2 nights of the trip. We became addicts after that.

Have you tried Obie's on Elliston Place? I was told it was close to Chicago style pizza, but I think it's just deep dish. I've found that Jet's deep dish pizza is a decent substitute for Unos and the like...but it's not the same. You can also order pizzas from Malnati's online but I doubt they're very good cooked in a home oven. And it is really expensive. Likewise Uno's has frozen pizzas in some stores (I saw them at Aldi's once) but they're really not that good.

By the way, there used to be a Pizzeria Uno in Townsend TN (of all places!). To my knowledge, it is the only Pizzeria Uno location in the state.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Obie's is fine for deep dish but I agree, it's not Chicago style pizza.

One funny note- I was reading a NY magazine a few weeks ago and it was talking about some of the best new inexpensive restaurants in NYC. They mentioned a new "Nashville style" hot chicken place that had just opened up. And they said the hot chicken at the restaurant wasn't as good as you could get in Nashville, but it was the closest thing you could find in NYC. Wsm's post about biscuits reminded me of it.

Now I need to go eat hot chicken since we're "famous" for it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Obie's is fine for deep dish but I agree, it's not Chicago style pizza.

One funny note- I was reading a NY magazine a few weeks ago and it was talking about some of the best new inexpensive restaurants in NYC. They mentioned a new "Nashville style" hot chicken place that had just opened up. And they said the hot chicken at the restaurant wasn't as good as you could get in Nashville, but it was the closest thing you could find in NYC. Wsm's post about biscuits reminded me of it.

Now I need to go eat hot chicken since we're "famous" for it.
I read that too...maybe it was a link here on C-D?

You definitely need to check out hot chicken sometime. It is a culinary right of passage for many Nashvillians. Be sure to start out one level lower than you think you want...if you think you can handle the hot, start with the medium, etc. And be sure to get cold sides like slaw or potato salad...and definitely stay away from drinking soda. Milk is the best way to soothe away the heat.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I was reading a NY magazine a few weeks ago and it was talking about some of the best new inexpensive restaurants in NYC. They mentioned a new "Nashville style" hot chicken place that had just opened up. And they said the hot chicken at the restaurant wasn't as good as you could get in Nashville, but it was the closest thing you could find in NYC. Wsm's post about biscuits reminded me of it.
Do you happen to remember the name of the magazine or the restaurant that was mentioned for hot chicken in NYC? Thanks.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
The restaurant was Peaches HotHouse.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM

And here's their website:

splash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville