Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Nashville with two middle schoolers. There is lots of great information about Davidson County schools on this forum but I have some specific questions about world languages and school safety that I am hoping you all can help me with.

Quick background- my kids are currently in a language magnet school out of state and are fluent in French. They just started M/S here and one added German and one added Chinese. If we can figure out how they can continue with languages at least on some level we would be thrilled! Not knowing the city, I am also trying to figure out campus safety and take that into consideration along with academics, etc.

1) Thoughts on MLK? That had been my first choice if we got in (I have researched the lottery process already.) As far as I could find, it is the only M/S that offers Chinese in 7th grade and my kids could continue their world languages there. Also, one loves math and that would be a great fit. And finally, since it starts in 7th grade that would be perfect for kids coming to a new city in 7th grade.

BUT a family friend who has lived in Nashville for a few years told me that it is located in a "bad" area and that she would not drive up there and would not recommend sending my kids there. I have never seen anyone online indicating that the school is not safe but I did not challenge my friend on this or ask her more. However, I wanted to ask you all for input. I know anything can happen anywhere and if MLK is just in a higher-poverty area, that doesn't worry me. But is there more gun violence around the school? Are there good security measures in place on the campus there? I would appreciate any info, especially first-hand!

2) Anyone know if any MNPS neighborhood schools offer any languages besides Spanish?

3) Anyone with experience with JT Moore middle school? I have seen a couple of old posts but would love any more current experience and more details.

4) Finally, since the M/S situation (whether in a magnet pathway/ feeder school or just the neighborhood we wind up moving to) dictates your high school, anyone with experience with Hillsboro High? At the moment I have been focusing on MLK or Hume-Fogg but I realize I need to understand what good neighborhood school options there are.

Yes, we have also thought about Williamson County schools but we would prefer to explore Nashville options first. Your advice and insights would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 12:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
This one?
613 17th Ave N

Nashville, TN 37203

I don't know anything about the school itself, but the area is OK. It's very close to a major tourist area. I probably wouldn't walk around at night, but I wouldn't do that in some of the nice neighborhoods either. How long has your friend been gone from Nashville? Things change - lots of gentrification in this area. They are building $400K+ houses less than a block away.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
We are thinking of relocating to Nashville with two middle schoolers. There is lots of great information about Davidson County schools on this forum but I have some specific questions about world languages and school safety that I am hoping you all can help me with.

Quick background- my kids are currently in a language magnet school out of state and are fluent in French. They just started M/S here and one added German and one added Chinese. If we can figure out how they can continue with languages at least on some level we would be thrilled! Not knowing the city, I am also trying to figure out campus safety and take that into consideration along with academics, etc.

1) Thoughts on MLK? That had been my first choice if we got in (I have researched the lottery process already.) As far as I could find, it is the only M/S that offers Chinese in 7th grade and my kids could continue their world languages there. Also, one loves math and that would be a great fit. And finally, since it starts in 7th grade that would be perfect for kids coming to a new city in 7th grade.

BUT a family friend who has lived in Nashville for a few years told me that it is located in a "bad" area and that she would not drive up there and would not recommend sending my kids there. I have never seen anyone online indicating that the school is not safe but I did not challenge my friend on this or ask her more. However, I wanted to ask you all for input. I know anything can happen anywhere and if MLK is just in a higher-poverty area, that doesn't worry me. But is there more gun violence around the school? Are there good security measures in place on the campus there? I would appreciate any info, especially first-hand!

2) Anyone know if any MNPS neighborhood schools offer any languages besides Spanish?

3) Anyone with experience with JT Moore middle school? I have seen a couple of old posts but would love any more current experience and more details.

4) Finally, since the M/S situation (whether in a magnet pathway/ feeder school or just the neighborhood we wind up moving to) dictates your high school, anyone with experience with Hillsboro High? At the moment I have been focusing on MLK or Hume-Fogg but I realize I need to understand what good neighborhood school options there are.

Yes, we have also thought about Williamson County schools but we would prefer to explore Nashville options first. Your advice and insights would be appreciated!

Listen to your friend.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:05 PM

Thanks! Yes, that is the correct address. My friend lives in Nashville now but has only been there for two years and is a single woman so could be excessively worried. I think any city (place) has its risks but I do want to understand a bit more about the area. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Listen to your friend.
Bummer. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
Thanks! Yes, that is the correct address. My friend lives in Nashville now but has only been there for two years and is a single woman so could be excessively worried. I think any city (place) has its risks but I do want to understand a bit more about the area. I appreciate the feedback.

I am a single woman who owns a house (and lives) not that far from there. I very much disagree with Artemis.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:47 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I am a single woman who owns a house (and lives) not that far from there. I very much disagree with Artemis.
I guess it depends what you're used to, but I agree with N.Cal.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-29-2020, 09:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
To each their own.

I am a mother of 2, and wouldn't knowingly choose that neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
To each their own.

I am a mother of 2, and wouldn't knowingly choose that neighborhood.
You’re female???

No one is saying they need to live right there.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:23 AM

62 posts, read 59,300 times
On a side note, if you're interested in Chinese outside of public school, look up https://nashvillechineseschool.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: