Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM

27 posts, read 61,187 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move down to Nasville from Indy and I was curious about some of the areas to move to like Henderson,Goodletsville,Antioch,Murfreesboro,West Nashville(I hope that was the name!).I have seen a ton of blogs like this,but I want to know which is the better neighborhood.It's just me and my wife;no kids and we are definately looking to rent in the 500.00 to 750.00 and maybe look at houses later after living their a year.I would gladly take any and all advice about this post.My wife and I was just there this past Friday and had a ball and Nashville felt like home to my wife and for me it was a refreshing of sorts.So once again I appreciate all responses.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
heh heh you are in the same boat I am...only I'm looking to relocate to Nevada after my vacation there.

Anyhoo...if you are a couple w/ no kids, I'd steer clear of the burbs, areas like Hermitage, Mt Juliet, and Hendersonville are geared towards families and put you a pretty good distance from the fun stuff. If I were in your shoes, I'd look in the Hillsboro area...lots of good eating, fun atmosphere, good shopping etc. You can probably get an apartment w/ alot of character for around the upper end of your price range there.

If you want to rent a house for that ammount, you can look in the Inglewood area. My sister in law and her husband live there and they love it. It's very close to downtown but has lots of nice old homes that have been renovated in it.

If you want to be farther from town, try Franklin-Cool Springs. This area is also older but a little more upscale. And the Cool Springs area is new w/ lots of restaurants and shopping.

Steer clear of Madison and Rivergate. The neighborhoods there are a bit dodgy. And personally, I hate Antioch. Don't ask me why. Just don't like the myriads of apartment complexes that are stinking up the joint, I guess.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
You would need to know where you are working before you decide because ya'll have a long commute. That amount of rent rules out the Cool Springs area. Rents are higher there. Since my son will be moving her very soon I have been checking out Apartments, but he also must find where he will be working also. I did check out Murfreesboro, and they do fit in that price range. He will be looking in same range, so I'm checking out areas. Bellevue also has tons of Apartments, so I would not rule out that area.

Diane G

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Thank you both for your responses.I work for the city of Indy at the Probation part,my wife works at an insurance company so we are both looking for work of course.Alicenavada is Antioch BAD!!!bad.Like not want to live there bad or just your personal preference of it being not good for you bad!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakpak36 View Post
Thank you both for your responses.I work for the city of Indy at the Probation part,my wife works at an insurance company so we are both looking for work of course.Alicenavada is Antioch BAD!!!bad.Like not want to live there bad or just your personal preference of it being not good for you bad!
We have endless debates on here about just how bad Antioch is (or whether most of Antioch is bad, or just portions of Antioch). And yes, we mean bad in "not want to live there bad". Since you're coming from out of state and are not familiar with the Nashville area anyway, just make it easy on yourself and strike Antioch off your list. There's enough other places to look.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
I work for an insurance company (auto).

What kind of insurance work is your wife looking for?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I work for an insurance company (auto).

What kind of insurance work is your wife looking for?
My wife currently works for Safeco.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
yeah Antioch has a pretty high crime rate. There are some good neighborhoods but I think the place is really just too crowded due to the rediculous ammount of apartment complexes in such a small space...some upper income, some lower. The traffic in the morning is dreadful.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
yeah Antioch has a pretty high crime rate. There are some good neighborhoods but I think the place is really just too crowded due to the rediculous ammount of apartment complexes in such a small space...some upper income, some lower. The traffic in the morning is dreadful.

Yeah the traffic made my eyes bulge,but I figured well it could be worse....I really enjoyed Nashville my wife will be heading back down there again to check out the places you guys have suggested.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM

79 posts, read 302,383 times
I lived in Hillsboro Village briefly and LOVED IT! It's close to downtown, Vanderbilt University, and lots of good restaurants and shopping... if you want to be that close to the city. It can be pricey, but you can find something affordable.
After my husband and I had our son we moved to east Nashville. Now, some areas of east Nashville are wonderful, but some are sketchy. We chose an apartment complex because it looked great during the day and it was cheap, but once we were living there I realized that we should have stayed right where we were. We were terrorized by our neighbors. We had a window in our car busted out - our yard set on fire - and witnessed all sorts of craziness in the short time we lived there. AND we had a newborn. I also had to drive to Vanderbilt and the traffic was pure hell.
Do your research, check it out during the day and at night. Make the drive a couple of times to your office so you know what sort of commute you are getting yourself into. Nashville is a great city, you will love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville