Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 02:20 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times

Advertisements

I never really think it’s going to happen. And now it has. I worried about my car getting dinged and now I dread seeing what’s happened when the sun comes up. Five Points in East Nashville hit hard. Germantown. I’m so sorry for all affected. The entire world has gone crazy these days, but I Believe In Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Brings back bad memories of the April tornado in 1998 that killed a young man in Centennial Park.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:08 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
I have had about three hours sleep. I was up nearly all night watching Channel Five when their lights flickered and they lost power. It was barely noticeable as they have generators but Brie was doing the weather and commented the power went.

Henry and his cameraman went outside to film the tornado that he saw coming at them.

This was all at 12:30 this morning.

As of this 6:00 AM writing, six are known to have lost their lives.

I am only familiar with Nashville from the news, so my comments are what they spoke about in the news. Germantown was hit hard and so was East Nashville. Schools, the Ag center where there are animals housed, I think.

Before the tornado hit Nashville, a lady sent Channel Five a foto of five hail stones that were the size of extra large eggs — you know when hail is big enough to kill someone, things are not good.

They speculate the tornado was an EF-3 but the NWS will have to determine that. They also commented that it was on the ground for an inordinately long amount of time.

I am in the SE tip of Bedford County, we are catching the tail of this storm as I write this. We aren’t on wind watch but there is plenty of lightening and pouring rain. We have been hit by lightening several times over the years.

I was living in the rurals of western PA when the May ‘85 tornadoes (plural) came thru. The town I worked in was completely leveled. I lived in the country in those days, too. All sorts of things from town were dropping out of the sky, in the horse pasture.

Folks can’t change what has happened. The best they can do is to throw their shoulders back, take things one heart beat at a time, and pray. Recovery from this is not going to happen in a few months. My thought and prayers to all who have been affected, especially those who have lost friends and family members.

Last edited by Normashirley; 03-03-2020 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 05:28 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
I am living out of the country right now, but have a house in Hendersonville. My son and his family live in East Nashville. They are ok thank god, but he sounded so very shook up on the phone. He said their neighborhood looks like a war zone, and the businesses at Five Points are decimated. I'm feeling rather shaken up and helpless.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Brings back bad memories of the April tornado in 1998 that killed a young man in Centennial Park.

Yeah, It's bringing back memories of the 2008 Tornado here in Atlanta for me. Tornado did very similar to what it did in Nashville it seems. Moved from West Atlanta, cut through the area around vine city, hit the Georgia Dome, CNN Center, Centennial Olympic park, Downtown Atlanta buildings, cut across all the way to East Atlanta before it uplifted. It really tore up Downtown, high rises and all for a while. We couldn't work in our office building 101 Marietta St. at the time due to falling glass. Really scary situation. I really pray for the citizens of Nashville right now, I feel really close to the city. Was listening to Nashville radio on I Heart this morning and a guy was on the radio this morning and broke down on how he lost his business but was blessed to be alive. Had me in tears...

Old 03-03-2020, 07:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
My prayers for Nashville. I have folk I know, there. I've seen the pics. They look bad. I hear much of the East Side looks real bad. I saw the Donelson School, with what looks like an 18-wheeler on top of one of the school buildings. Wow!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:21 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Horrible. Prayers up for the people of Nashville and for those who were killed, seriously hurt, or lost all. What can you do when a tornado strikes in the middle of the night when everybody is sleeping. What a horror. God bless them and pray for them.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 AM

127 posts, read 61,410 times
Be careful and safe out there folks. My thoughts are with you guys and I wish you all the best. Condolences to anyone that has lost a family member friend or pet.

Spring and tornado season is on it's way. I love spring but hate the severe weather potential.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
If you are local and willing to do some hands on help, contact this organization:
https://www.hon.org/opportunity/a0C1H00001asG2t

Old 03-03-2020, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,461 times
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people of Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville