Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 08:08 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

This is a massive tax hike proposal, but probably not gonna make it through without being whittled down considerably.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill..._news_headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 10:06 AM

367 posts, read 585,317 times
Im sure they never even considered or proposed furloughing metro employees. Hell, even having them take a temporary pay cut would free up a lot of money in the budget. Us in the private world are losing our business, taking pay cuts and getting laid off, but heaven forbid the metro employees share in these difficult times to get the budget straitened out.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Im sure they never even considered or proposed furloughing metro employees. Hell, even having them take a temporary pay cut would free up a lot of money in the budget. Us in the private world are losing our business, taking pay cuts and getting laid off, but heaven forbid the metro employees share in these difficult times to get the budget straitened out.
They're already working short-staffed.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
They're already working short-staffed.
Yep, and this is not in response to a short-term situation like the pandemic, but moreso to deal with the "deferred maintenance" of problems that have existed for years.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Public employees everywhere are going to take a beating because of the shortfall in revenue. You can't keep people on with greatly diminished revenue coming in.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:18 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
32% seems to be a huge jump.

I understand that revenues are down in part due to pvt sector workers not ponying up while they're not spending money or, in some cases, having no income at all.

I personally know a few people in that position with families and mortgages.

Does it have to be permanent? In another article he says this budget is a "crisis budget" When the crisis is over will he propose lowering the tax rate?

I'm weary of politicians getting more and more money. They always find ways to spend it and always say they "need" more.

To answer MTFan's question:

".... Metro employees will forgo pay raises or cost of living adjustments, but this budget avoids the layoffs and pay cuts set to occur in hundreds of other cities nationwide....."

https://breaking911.com/nashville-de...amid-pandemic/

Old 04-30-2020, 05:29 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
My property taxes went down by over $1k in 2016 and they should have never been cut when we were selling assets to cover budget shortfalls.

The rooster has come home to roost for Metro at the worst possible time. Sales tax revenues are projected to be down by over $500m because of the lost of tourism. As much as I can't stand the scooters, I wish there were tourist roaming downtown right now.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:43 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
I cannot imagine what Mayor Cooper is going through in his first year as mayor. He takes over a city in terrible financial condition. Before he can make changes in government, he's hit with a huge cut in sales tax revenues with Covid shutting down the huge convention and tourism business.

So much of the spending is already allotted for, and cannot be stopped.

And the Mayor is burdened with an indecisive 40 person city council that's trying to protect their citizens. We're talking about a city council that's not made up of people with Masters degrees in Government or even accountants. These are regular every day people with regular jobs. They may not have the knowledge and intellect to even understand where Metro stands and what needs to be done.

We all need to pray for Nashville and Mayor Cooper. It's really difficult to be in charge of a fast growing, dynamic city that's completely devoid of cash. And unfortunately budget cuts require personnel layoffs. If I was a Metro employee, I'd be looking to change jobs immediately.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
And too bad that he is hamstrung into not being able to use the surplus from the music city center. Seems he was a little prescient.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...nue/737803002/

At-large Councilman John Cooper, a frequent critic of Nashville's municipal*financing decisions,*said that Metro could identify many city services that support visitors: from trash collection to road repairs, short-term rental code enforcement and greenways.*The visitor economy has moved beyond*downtown to neighborhoods such as*12South, East Nashville and the Gulch.

“That’s the fundamental conversation in the city, in a way,” Cooper said. “What costs do we have now, that we didn’t have, in supporting this surprisingly large amount of tourist business.”

“There’s not a branch of government that isn’t affected by the 15 million tourists that we have,” he added. “You could take some of the burden off of the general taxpayer.”

Old 04-30-2020, 09:41 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I cannot imagine what Mayor Cooper is going through in his first year as mayor. He takes over a city in terrible financial condition. Before he can make changes in government, he's hit with a huge cut in sales tax revenues with Covid shutting down the huge convention and tourism business.

So much of the spending is already allotted for, and cannot be stopped.

And the Mayor is burdened with an indecisive 40 person city council that's trying to protect their citizens. We're talking about a city council that's not made up of people with Masters degrees in Government or even accountants. These are regular every day people with regular jobs. They may not have the knowledge and intellect to even understand where Metro stands and what needs to be done.

We all need to pray for Nashville and Mayor Cooper. It's really difficult to be in charge of a fast growing, dynamic city that's completely devoid of cash. And unfortunately budget cuts require personnel layoffs. If I was a Metro employee, I'd be looking to change jobs immediately.

I don't feel sorry for him. He knew what he was getting into.

Karl Dean spent money like a drunken moron. He even spent the FEMA money that was sent to our town in order to build the ampitheatre.

No raises for teachers & firemen, can't keep enough cops on the job. It's not going to go away overnite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville