Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 717 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Sumner County this summer from Memphis. My husband works in Gallatin. Since COVID changed our plans to visit schools in May, we are trying to find a fit with online research. I've reached out to the administration of several schools with questions but also looking for some personal experience. Esq. with the gifted program or advanced placement middle school glasses.

Gallatin or Hendersonville are the most likely towns.

I will probably work in Nashville so that is an option also. Private schools are not an option. She could not apply to any of the magnet school-not residents yet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:12 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
All of the middle schools that I'm aware of have "advanced" or accelerated learning in English Language Arts and Math. Maybe other courses too, but those are the main ones. I think this is based on the previous year's grades (maybe prior year teacher recommendation) and test scores. I would ask the administrators about that when you talk with them.

Just based on reputation I think the better Middle Schools are TW Hunter, Station Camp, and Knox Doss at Drakes Creek. I remember reading that TW Hunter won some sort of academic award for high test scores the past couple of years. There will also be a new middle school called Liberty Creek that will basically be in the Station Camp area (that area is really growing fast), but they've basically just broken ground on it so it'll be awhile. In fact, Liberty Creek will actually be an entire cluster of Elementary, Middle, and High Schools that will all be brand new. It could just be an isolated incident, but we have a friend who has not had a good experience at Rucker Middle in Gallatin. You can direct message me if you want to know more.

Merrol Hyde Magnet is definitely one of the best schools in the state and once you get here and if you want to try to get tested and hope for the best, you certainly can.

Hope that helps some!

Old 05-01-2020, 11:03 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
The Nashville area is surrounded by many fine communities that you will find great places to live. Any of the schools in Sumner County will be perfectly good.

You won't want to move to Davidson County as the real estate is terribly overpriced and schools there are marginal at best. Nashville has just had an incredible influx of citizens that are non-English speaking.

(I've lived 18 years in Memphis and 23 years in Nashville area.)

Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolfromMemphis View Post
We are looking to move to Sumner County this summer from Memphis. My husband works in Gallatin. Since COVID changed our plans to visit schools in May, we are trying to find a fit with online research. I've reached out to the administration of several schools with questions but also looking for some personal experience. Esq. with the gifted program or advanced placement middle school glasses.

Gallatin or Hendersonville are the most likely towns.

I will probably work in Nashville so that is an option also. Private schools are not an option. She could not apply to any of the magnet school-not residents yet.

Thanks!

Listen to Don Corleone, he is our resident expert on Sumner County.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 AM

57 posts, read 67,125 times
I agree with Don Corleone's comments, but would also like to add Ellis Middle. It feeds Hendersonville HS. Based on what I have heard, issues with Rucker Stewart may not be all that isolated. I know 3-4 families that have moved out of that district to get into the Station Camp or Hendersonville districts. My oldest is in the class of 2020 at Station Camp HS and my youngest just finished 5th grade at Jack Anderson Elementary and will be stating Station Camp Middle. We have been pleased for the most part with Station Camp and High and Middle. As far as Merrol Hyde, it is a great school, but be prepared for a wait if you decide to test. My daughter tested in 2nd grade and spent 3 years on the wait list. She decided that she just wanted to go to Station Camp with her friends. Also, a point for if you plan to buy a house. Make sure that if you are online do an advanced search for the name of the school for the Station Camp schools. The middle school has a Gallatin address, but the district is made up of parts of Hendersonville and Gallatin. I would make sure to go to the Sumner Schools website and get a current and future map of zoning. The Liberty Creek cluster is going to result in a lot of kids being rezoned.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark174 View Post
I agree with Don Corleone's comments, but would also like to add Ellis Middle. It feeds Hendersonville HS.
Good call on Ellis...totally forgot about it.

Quote:
Based on what I have heard, issues with Rucker Stewart may not be all that isolated. I know 3-4 families that have moved out of that district to get into the Station Camp or Hendersonville districts.
Good to know (though hate to hear) that it not isolated at Rucker.

Quote:
I would make sure to go to the Sumner Schools website and get a current and future map of zoning. The Liberty Creek cluster is going to result in a lot of kids being rezoned.
Great point on the rezoning map. There has been a lot of concern about the rezoning and shuffling of students. In the end, I don't think it's a bad thing but if you have your heart set on one school, buy in that zone, then get rezoned the following year I certainly would be upset about it.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:53 AM

57 posts, read 67,125 times
Great point on the rezoning map. There has been a lot of concern about the rezoning and shuffling of students. In the end, I don't think it's a bad thing but if you have your heart set on one school, buy in that zone, then get rezoned the following year I certainly would be upset about it.[/quote]

We are lucky that where we live (on the lake side of Gallatin Pike) should not be impacted all that much by rezoning. It is having a much larger impact on those who live North of Long Hollow.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 717 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I think we have decided on Robert Ellis..pending housing. We are looking to rent an apartment. Any recommendations in the Ellis school zone? We eventually want to buy a house but I don't want to rush into it. We want to move over the summer and have her start in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville