Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 PM

34 posts, read 120,847 times

Advertisements

Just doing my research on moving to tennessee, i will be sure to visit both places when i take my trip, but i have been set on pleasant view tn for two years now, and just recently came across greenbrier. what are the pros and mostly cons of both places. I understand that since i am young (23) its not going to be easy to meet people, but thats ok, im over drinking etc i only like to 2-step country dance etc once a week,which i believe i can get out of my system nearby in nashville. i do have 5 large breed dogs and will always want and own tons of animals from pigs-cows-goats-dogs, i always seem to have it all. any suggestions..... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:15 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Neither Pleasant View or Greenbrier are very large places, of course, but you would probably feel you're more "out in the county" in Greenbrier. I know more about Pleasant View because I grew up just down the road from there in east Montgomery County and have family around Pleasant View and Coopertown. Pleasant View was at one time very county (farms and horses), but it's changing now into a sort of bedroom community to Nashville.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM

wow, thanks, definitely opening my eyes more now. im looking at some homes in greenbrier right now and it seems they have less land available for people on my budget 80-150k but it does seem very cute there, i am also finding it very hard to get any info on greenbrier, is it also like pleasant view still just considered a "community" It also seems a little more culturally diverse which isnt an issue to me but it does scare me coming from la, i like how pleasant view seems very safe. any more info, id love, thanks everyone

Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 PM

I don't really think of Greenbrier as being "culturally diverse". I suspect Pleasant View is a bit more diverse because of the people who have moved there in the past few years. Pleasant View has become a place where people from out-of-state more to; I don't think Greenbrier has gotten to that point yet, but it probably will in the future.

Are you going to be commuting to Nashville for work?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM

well than i suspect ill fit right in, im really surprised that so many californians are moving there, because i get a lot of bull from people about moving to Tennessee even , country friends and city family alike. as of right now that is my plan. until last month when i switched jobs i was going to go to school to get certified as a surgical or pharmacy tech to secure a job no matter where i move. my whole like i have done dog training and emergency vet tech work, but i am only a high school grad, no college degree yet, so im trying to figure out where, besides waitressing to get by at first, i will find a decent job in Nashville even. my current job combines uses my tech skills as i kind of ranch in ocean water i get down dirty and cold and wet everyday being an aquacultural biologist assistant at stellar biotechnologies. we reproduce key hole limpets for their klh protein that we do lab work and tests on to send to pharmaceutical companies to use. so i guess i would also like to work at an aquarium or zoo( i think besides nashville zoo which seems to never hire there is no small aquariums closest being Chattanooga'a huge one , way too far away)

One last question from a naive young girl. Are there still rodeo's around these areas. and are there ranchers/farmers, im still looking for my good ol country boy to share my life with

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Well, they have a rodeo from time to time, but it's one of those were all the riders are pros from somewhere else. They are horse shows and country fairs and that sort of thing where the participants are locals. There are still a lot of farms in the Middle Tennessee area, although fewer ones now within the Nashville circle. They're all called farmers, not ranchers (even if the raise cattle). There is no shortage of "country boys".

Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM

glad to hear it! thanks for the info ive now contacted a real estate agent from greenbrier. but i am pretty set on a cute manufactured home on just under 4 acres in pleasant view. do you think its stupid to have a manufactured home in that area without a basement?(the whole tornado thing still worries me a bit)

Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicowgirl3319 View Post
glad to hear it! thanks for the info ive now contacted a real estate agent from greenbrier. but i am pretty set on a cute manufactured home on just under 4 acres in pleasant view. do you think its stupid to have a manufactured home in that area without a basement?(the whole tornado thing still worries me a bit)
Four acres in Pleasant View proper might be pricey these days. Remember, Pleasant View is located near I-24, which makes the commute to Nashville pretty easy . . . but it also means it's prime land to be developed. Now, you can go a little further out and the price will be more reasonable.

I'm not a fan of manufactured houses in this part of the country, but many people do have them. Make sure it's anchored correctly. They make self-contained storm shelters; you might consider that.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:57 PM

since its a manufactured home.. its only 96,000 , hoping to talk them down a little. What is the storm shelter? is it built top get through a tornado? by anchored correctly do you mean the ones i see that say "permanant foundation" you are awesome i need a lesson in not being blind to normal weather and a beautiful thing called seasons

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 AM

$96k doesn't sound too bad for a home and four acres in the Pleasant View area. I'm wondering if the land is at least partially on the hilly side. Is the property between PV and Ashland City?

The storm shelter I was talking about is a box-like structure that is put in the ground. The idea is just to have a safe place to go to if a tornadoes is headed right your way. There are early warnings about possible tornadoes here: by TV; alert radio; and, in some areas, sirens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville