Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 01:10 PM

78 posts, read 137,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the market for a home purchase and are thinking ahead to schools. We see that the highest ranked schools in the greater Nashville area are a number of Magnet schools, but neighter of us are very familiar with how they work.....

So basic questions first:
Do you have to live in the town or county the school is located in? Like

How does your kid test in? Can they get kicked out?

If they don't get in, where do they go to school?

I see that Merrol Hyde is in Hendersonville/Sumner County. It's listed online as a k-12. But Central Magnet in Murfreesboro/Rutherford is 6-12.

How do they admit/test a Kindergartener? And where would your child go for k-5 in Rutherford County?? If an older sibling gets admito, does that help a younger ones chances?

The class size (aka graduating class, not like a math class) seems quite small, do these schools still offer competitive sports, arts, music ?

For commutes, do they really bus kids in from say Portland to Merrol Hyde?

Our issue is that we'd love to buy in Sumner County or Rutherford county, but outside of those magnet schools, they score quite low

And lastly, what private schools would there be if our kids don't get in? How much do they cost?

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
All the info you're asking for can be found on their websites or a quick google search. They're public schools so you must reside in the county school district. If your kids can't get in, they go to the school that serves the zone you live in. Most magnet schools do not provide bussing. Private school pricing varies widely from $40K+ at the elite schools like Ensworth and MBA to $15K at cheaper places like Davidson Academy. Most offer scholarships.

Merrol Hyde: https://mhm.sumnerschools.org/index.php/admissions/faq

Rutherford Co.: https://www.dnj.com/story/news/educa...ly/2501797002/
https://www.dnj.com/story/news/educa...nd/1920954002/

Davidson County also has a magnet school program. Information for their options can be found here: https://www.mnps.org/school-options

Old 06-23-2020, 04:36 PM

49,928 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post

Do you have to live in the town or county the school is located in? Yes

How does your kid test in? The methods vary per system. There are multiple ways to test in Metro that are explained at the link mattec provided above.

Can they get kicked out? Yes.

If they don't get in, where do they go to school? To the public school for which their neighborhood is zoned.

I see that Merrol Hyde is in Hendersonville/Sumner County. It's listed online as a k-12. But Central Magnet in Murfreesboro/Rutherford is 6-12.

How do they admit/test a Kindergartener? Kindergartners are given what they call a "reference screener."

And where would your child go for k-5 in Rutherford County?? To the school to which their neighborhood is zoned.

If an older sibling gets admito, does that help a younger ones chances? Maybe.

The class size (aka graduating class, not like a math class) seems quite small, do these schools still offer competitive sports, arts, music ? It really depends on the school. In sports, they aren't competitive with the comprehensive schools. But they do generally offer good arts and music across the board.

For commutes, do they really bus kids in from say Portland to Merrol Hyde? Magnet school parents usually have to provide their own transportation.
I answered what I could above in red.

You're comparing three different large school systems, and I would try to tour the particular magnet schools you're most interested in. There aren't that many.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:42 AM

97 posts, read 245,370 times
I can only speak to Rutherford County, but it has the second-best schools in the state after Williamson County. Rutherford County has McFadden, Central, and Thurman Francis. Murfreesboro City Schools has Discovery. While not a magnet school, Campus is also highly sought after within the Murfreesboro City Schools system.

No, having a sibling already at a magnet school does not guarantee a spot in RC or MCS. As a matter of fact, I know someone whose second child did not test into Discovery like the first one, so the one at the magnet is being pulled to go to their zoned school with the second child. That is one big reason I did not pursue magnet education for my kids. Competition is fierce, so preference isn't given. I believe it was at one time, but that is no longer the case. Even the kindergarteners must test in. There is no busing. You must provide transportation if you want your child to attend that school.

Most of the private schools available in Rutherford County are religious-based, so if that isn't something you're looking for, you'll have a bit of a hard time finding a school. Also, the prices vary wildly.

I would suggest you do a bit more research outside of magnet schools in both Sumner and Rutherford Counties. You might be surprised. However, the better ranked schools in both counties are likely to have higher priced housing.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM

78 posts, read 137,447 times
Thank you all very much for your help and insight.

Does anyone know haw many kids apply? I read that only 40 kids get into the kindergarten program at MH. And even then, there's a lottery if more than 40 qualify.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:14 PM

97 posts, read 245,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post

Does anyone know haw many kids apply? I read that only 40 kids get into the kindergarten program at MH. And even then, there's a lottery if more than 40 qualify.
I know in Rutherford County, hundreds apply. The schools can only take so many in each grade. Some get in, some are waitlisted, and some are rejected altogether.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,572 times
I have children at Merrol Hyde in Hendersonville, so I can answer your questions from that perspective.

For MH, you have to live in Sumner County. The school has children attending from all over the county. There is no bus service to the school (car riders only), so the daily driving commute could be a challenge for those who live in the more distant parts of the county, like Portland. The school verifies your county residency when you apply for admission and then again at registration.

My children tested in at age 4-5, about 6 months before the start of kindergarten. A screener meets with the child and asks questions to gauge the child’s reading, language, and math skills. They have to score at or above the 85th percentile in all three areas. The county school system shares little information about the content of the test. My kids remember being asked to show that they could read, write, and do math (addition, skip counting, etc). The screener also asked a lot of conversational questions. Their test took about 45 minutes each, but I saw some kids go in and out in less than 10 minutes.

MH does not automatically grant admission to the siblings of current students. A sibling has to pass the screening test on his/her own merits. But, if he or she does pass, then they are guaranteed entrance to the school (they do not have to go in the lottery). In my children’s kindergarten classes, almost half the 40 spots were taken by siblings of current students.

I believe at least 300 kindergarten kids took the test for the most recent school year. Of those, about 50 passed. 40 got admitted and there are 10 or so on the waiting list. If your number isn’t initially drawn in the lottery, you can sit on the waiting list for years. I know a lady whose son tested in in kindergarten, but he didn’t get off the waiting list until 9th grade. Once children get admitted to the school, they tend to stay there until they graduate.

At MH, you can get kicked out after repeated disciplinary actions or for failing classes while on academic probation. You would return to your zoned neighborhood school.

The graduating class size is very small compared to other schools. MH offers a handful of sports and co-ops with larger high schools for activities that aren’t offered, like football. All MH students in grades 7-12 are required to participate in one sport a year.

We love MH - the school facilities aren’t fancy or anything, but the administration and faculty are outstanding. There is a strong family culture to the school because it’s so small and runs K-12. However, if our children weren’t attending here, I think we’d be happy enough with our neighborhood schools in Hendersonville. We’d also consider Sumner Academy out in Gallatin for private education.

I hope this helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville