Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 3,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There are plenty of wealthy people here. But the exotic car scene is nothing like SoCal.
There is no doubt that there is plenty of wealthy people in Nashville. No dispute there. My main concern is if these types of vehicles, due to their rarity here, encourage vandalism or being targeted for property crimes.

My wife and I don’t flaunt wealth but we enjoy these types of cars (one of the very few luxuries we choose to indulge). We don’t make a big deal of it and nobody would know we owned them unless they saw our garage or happened to catch us driving around town.

We just don’t want to come out from dinner to find one of our cars damaged or worse. That would definitely be a real concern in Chicago.

I think it’s cool that Nashville isn’t a flaunt wealth or worse pretend you have wealth when you don’t type of city as it gets very tiring to see that constantly in LA. I’m a simple jeans and t-shirt guy myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
We just don’t want to come out from dinner to find one of our cars damaged or worse. That would definitely be a real concern in Chicago.
The vehicle break-ins, which happen in bursts, don't usually happen in public places but in your own driveway in the middle of the night. Many of the vehicles, as has been mentioned, are left unlocked with laptops, money, garage door openers and, yes, guns accessible.

This kind of break-in happens to all makes, not just the high-end brands. Teens from other areas usually roam subdivisions during the wee hours, checking for unlocked doors. It happens in Hendersonville and other neighborhoods too. You have to use street smarts.

The other places that cars may get broken into during the day are at the YMCA, during workouts, or at city parks. Bands of thieves sometimes roam parking lots and break a window, which is often a big payoff for them because the moms treat their SUVs like rolling closets, with the trunk full of clothing they just bought or need to return, big designer purses, and money and sometimes jewelry in the console.

It's part of the reason cities like Belle Meade and Brentwood have installed license plate readers in park parking lots.

My friends who are collectors keep their cars indoors if they aren't in them. I don't know anyone who's had a problem on a night out in the suburbs, but the city might be another matter.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The vehicle break-ins, which happen in bursts, don't usually happen in public places but in your own driveway in the middle of the night. Many of the vehicles, as has been mentioned, are left unlocked with laptops, money, garage door openers and, yes, guns accessible.

This kind of break-in happens to all makes, not just the high-end brands. Teens from other areas usually roam subdivisions checking for unlocked doors. It happens in Hendersonville and other neighborhoods too. You have to use street smarts.

The other places that cars may get broken into during the day are at the YMCA, during workouts, or at city parks. Bands of thieves roam parking lots and break a window, which is often a big payoff for them because the moms treat their SUVs like rolling closets, with the trunk full of clothing they just bought or need to return, big designer purses, and money and sometimes jewelry in the console.

My friends who are collectors keep their cars indoors if they aren't in them. I don't know anyone who's had a problem on a night out in the suburbs, but the city might be another matter.
This is a very helpful response. Thank you.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:32 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,446,093 times
I think there is a cars and coffee event in Nashville and a fair amount of exotics. I’m from NorCal and I find the car scene to be bigger here in Atlanta. Lots of car meetups every weekend and a huge caffeine and octane would be worth it to drive down for.
As far as seeing exotics everywhere, maybe not like SoCal. I own an f car but generally don’t take it out into the city, but I have gone out to lunch at cheap eateries in it with no issues.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,699,820 times
There are Range Rovers in the Brentwood High student parking lot. But as a rule, people in Nashville tend to be less flashy. I wouldn’t worry about your car being a magnet for theft. Car break-ins tend to be for valuables left in the car. The thieves don’t really care if it’s a 2004 Honda or a 2020 Porsche, if you leave a visible purse in it or leave it unlocked, they may break in.

There is a big coffee and cars event once a month in Franklin that is popular.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think there is a cars and coffee event in Nashville and a fair amount of exotics. I’m from NorCal and I find the car scene to be bigger here in Atlanta. Lots of car meetups every weekend and a huge caffeine and octane would be worth it to drive down for.
As far as seeing exotics everywhere, maybe not like SoCal. I own an f car but generally don’t take it out into the city, but I have gone out to lunch at cheap eateries in it with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
There are Range Rovers in the Brentwood High student parking lot. But as a rule, people in Nashville tend to be less flashy. I wouldn’t worry about your car being a magnet for theft. Car break-ins tend to be for valuables left in the car. The thieves don’t really care if it’s a 2004 Honda or a 2020 Porsche, if you leave a visible purse in it or leave it unlocked, they may break in.

There is a big coffee and cars event once a month in Franklin that is popular.
Thanks for the feedback! This is very helpful

Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 PM

914 posts, read 1,972,300 times
I drive a Tesla Model S and have since 2017. Never had an issue with it at all. Granted, Teslas aren’t in the category of a Ferrari, Bentley or Rolls. In the pie shape of land that extends between I-40 and I-65 south of downtown to Franklin, Porsche and Maseratis are fairly common and don’t even warrant a second glance. I swear Land Rovers are the official car of northern Williamson County. I routinely see Ferrari’s and Bentleys, but they do still capture my attention and probably always will.

You are correct that outside of those areas these cars are rare, but Nashville’s most expensive and wealthy areas are all adjacent to each other so it makes sense. You will see BMWs, Benzes, and Lexuses throughout Nashville, but those more exotic cars are generally only found Downtown and to the South and Southwest of downtown.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:11 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,518,745 times
The guy around the corner leaves his Ferrari out all the time under his portico... that said people are more like to drive high end range rovers and Mercedes than Bentleys and Lamborghinis.

There are car enthusiast but not like LA. My neighbor races his sports car but he keeps in a trailer when not at the track.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:25 AM

199 posts, read 176,546 times
Just a head's up that although TN has mild winters, they do use salt and salt/brine for storms. So if you have a car you care about and want to preserve, I'd avoid putting it on the roads until after a number of rains have followed a snowstorm.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:54 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,211,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
Just a head's up that although TN has mild winters, they do use salt and salt/brine for storms. So if you have a car you care about and want to preserve, I'd avoid putting it on the roads until after a number of rains have followed a snowstorm.
You may find some are frequent visitors to the self service or automatic car wash. Get that salt off. Not sure how some of the exotics fare getting up/down hills on the ice. Maybe for 3 months those cars parked in storage, under a tarp. Time to use the pickup SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville