Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 14,586 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a french familly with 4 children moving to Nashville in March 2009. We hesitate to install us between theVanderbilt university area and Franklin. Where can we find the best public school ? Is there a french communauty?
Is somebody knows Allara Farms communauty at Franklin? We hear about it and we would like to have more informations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
I am touring that community this weekend in preparation for our move to Memphis. I can post more about it on Monday.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,309 times
Hello all,

I'm retiring from the military next year, and Nashville is where we'll be moving. I wanted to get information on high schools, and nice communities in the area.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobert View Post
Hi, We are a french familly with 4 children moving to Nashville in March 2009. We hesitate to install us between theVanderbilt university area and Franklin. Where can we find the best public school ? Is there a french communauty?
Is somebody knows Allara Farms communauty at Franklin? We hear about it and we would like to have more informations.
Gobert, welcome to the Nashville forum. If you are looking to live somewhere between Vanderbilt and Franklin you should probably plan on living in Williamson County, which is the adjacent county south of Nashville(Davidson County). I say this because the public schools in Williamson County are rated much higher than Davidson County. Franklin(and Alara Farms) are in Williamson County. Alara Farms is a large, well maintained, and relatively safe apartment complex. The last I checked, monthly rentals ranged from about $800-$1500 for a one to three bedroom apartment. Alara Farms is in the Franklin city limits next to Cool Springs Galleria. It is about fifteen miles from Vanderbilt and anywhere from a twenty to forty-five minute drive, depending on the time of day you are traveling. Brentwood is the closest part of Williamson County to Vanderbilt. Brentwood has very expensive housing(mostly 350k and up) and has minimal rental opportunities with no large complexes like Alara Farms near the Davidson County line.
I am not aware of any French communities in the Nashville area. Maybe someone else on this forum knows of one.
I hope this helps some.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,586 times
Default re

Thanks a lot to all,
Is there nice communauty at Brentwood?
We also hear about Hillsboro Village near from Vanderbilt. Do you know it?
For you what are the best communauty for a family in Franklin and close from Vanderbilt?
We think that we will have 1500-2000$ to ret an apartment.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 PM

87 posts, read 292,048 times
bienvenue-

there is an alliance francaise, but no french community that i know of. if you have $1500-$2000 you may be able to rent a house right now since the market is not so hot. we have not really dipped like other places, but it has stopped going up and sales are slower.

are you doing public or private school? for public, you want williamson county. for private, you want to be in green hills, forest hills, oak hill, hillsboro village, sort of between vandy and brentwood, or in brentwood. if you are going to be teaching at vandy, you should be able to get info from other vandy types also, which will perhaps be more on point for what you are looking for.

bonne chance,

2martins

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
Bonjour,
There are quite a few french families here in Nashville. My neighbors across the street are French and have been here for two years. He works at Nissan. They know a lot of the other french families in town because of Square D and one more company that is escaping me at the moment. I believe people are spread out a bit, but a lot of their friends live in Brentwood.

To answer your questions about communities, you're asking about a few of them together that are separate areas, but they are all great areas. First, Franklin is South of Nashville (where Vanderbilt is) and about 25-30 minutes away from Vanderbilt, maybe more depending on where you live in Franklin. It is in Williamson County, and Franklin is a popular city with housing to fit many different budgets. Brentwood is very nice as well and about 15 to 20 minutes from Vanderbilt. It is just north of Franklin. Any neighborhood in Brentwood will probably be nice too. It will just depend on your budget. The last area you mentioned is Hillsboro Village. This is within walking distance to Vanderbilt. The houses there are older and charming, but it is again another popular area. Any of the areas will be great: Franklin, Brentwood or Hillsboro Village. It will depend on whether your family wants suburbs or a more urban area walkable to Vanderbilt, restaurants, grocery, shopping, etc. Brentwood and Franklin are areas where your homes have yards, sometimes large yards, garages, and you have to drive everywhere. You may have a yard in Hillsboro Village but it will be smaller and will have street parking. It will probably be much different than what you are accustomed to, but my neighbors have liked having a home with a yard.

I can ask my neighbors about how you can get connected with their French circle of friends and find out where some of the others live. I'll send you a direct message when I find out more information for you!

Welcome! They love it here, so hopefully, you will too!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,229 times
Hello.
I took a pseudo new, because I have forgot my password.
I wanted on no account to abuse the kindness of the persons who were kind enough to answer has my questions.
It is not easy of go to live in a country etranger especialy with children, of or but questions repeté...

Thank you very much.
Gobert Caroline!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM

24 posts, read 64,912 times
My family and I lived in Alara Brook while our new house was being built...it's right across the street from Alara Farms and basically the same. It was OK when it was just my parents and my little brother, but when my other brother and I came home from college for Christmas Break it was awful. Their 3-bedroom units are OK for a 3 or 4-person family, but with all 5 of us in the apartment at once I felt suffocated. It is in a great location though, really close to Publix, Sonic, the mall, movie theater, everything.

Have you looked at the homes off the McEwen exit a little further down I-65? Someone else could help with a more specific location, but the area over near the new Publix is really nice and convenient to both Brentwood and Cool Springs.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,561 times
Hello,

I have lived in Nashville for 6 yrs now. It is a really nice place to raise a family. I currently live in the Green Hills area. It is an established community in Davidson cp, however it is adjacent to williamson co (location of alara farms). I actually work in Williamson co and the drive is less than 10 mins. The area is w/in 5 mins. of Vanderbilt also. I am not sure of the if there is a large French population anywhere in Nashville. However, in Green Hills there a group that meets weekly to discuss French culture and hone their language skills. Although Green Hills is an older area, its is very charming. It is great for walking, dining and shopping. (there is a Tiffany's & Co Louis Vuitton, and many other wonderful shops). I can access everything i could possibly need, including downtown w/ in 5 mins.
Franklin and Brentwood are more rural,you still have access to everything you may need. The school system in this area is also very good.
I love Nashville and I hope you and your family will love it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville