Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 AM

165 posts, read 94,020 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are closing in on retirement. We are in NY for 23 years and have decided on south of nashville area for our next place. We’ve searched area for few days, and before this made Trips to Chattanooga, NC and SC. We want to build , not in community, but near tennis and community center, churc(lutheran). Would Eagleville or Spring Hill be better?
Or another town?

Thank you.
Leslie

Last edited by Esposla; 11-09-2020 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Misspelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 06:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Spring Hill is suburb of Nashville (although fairly far flung) with 40,000+ residents. Eagleville is a tiny town in a more rural area with less than 1,000 people.

If you want the convenience of restaurants, shopping, grocery stores, then I would pick Spring Hill. If you want more of a rural feel and don’t mind driving for those things, then Eagleville is a good choice.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
What @brentwoodgirl said.

Eagleville is a one traffic light town, well known for being a speed trap. “I can’t drive 55”, but even I slow down so I don’t get ticketed on the way to the feed store.

Based on your wish list, the only thing Eagleville would offer is a 10-15 minute drive to Arrington Vineyards.

Not to mention they hit the weather news above average, during tornado season ——-

You’re probably going to have to stay fairly close to bigger towns or go into a retirement community if tennis is at the top of your priority list. I am no help in this regard - I live and breath my horses, lollol

Old 11-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Thank you for replies. I flip to farm area and then back to more suburban in my head . Not too sure it seems. Wish I had a crystal ball to know what retirement will look like.
We just both felt good driving down the farm town road.

I’ll keep reading about this area of Tennessee. We didn’t get to search the Murfreesboro area. Is it more affordable than Spring Hill or about the same?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:27 AM

367 posts, read 585,681 times
Murfreesboro is similar in cost to Spring Hill but quite a bit larger. If you decide to live in Eagleville. You will be going to Murfreesboro regularly for shopping, dining, tennis, etc.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM

Thank you. So I have to answer the question. Do I want property or activities/shopping? I’m not a big shopper, but little tennis these days. Is the drive to Murfreesboro easier than Spring Hill?
Husband is a race car driver and will find a track in this area for sure. I need library, church and a bit of community activity(volunteering is in my future )

Old 11-10-2020, 05:14 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
If I were you, I might look at Rockvale. Closer to Murfreesboro than Eagleville, but more rural than Spring Hill. It might be a good compromise.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:42 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esposla View Post
Husband is a race car driver and will find a track in this area for sure. I need library, church and a bit of community activity(volunteering is in my future )
Until he sold his Bracket Racer a few months back, DH has been a serious racer his entire life; winning the Pomona Winter Nationals in his class, many years ago

Meaning, there were only two places he sort of found suitable to race, close to home, in TN.

I think one has closed down and the other is US Dragway 43 in Huntsville, AL.
https://www.facebook.com/US43Dragway?v=wall

We live further south and a lot more rural than you are considering. The Huntsville track was a little over an hour drive, pulling the race car.

If he wanted to really go racing, he had to go into Kentucky or do a big over nighter and go to Bristol.

It got to where the drive, loading/unloading/running qualifying times, then waiting for a race that wasn’t going to end until the wee hours was too much. He would have to stay all night and that was something he hated, even with one of his race buddies bringing his car.

I will ask him to be sure I haven’t missed one. After we retired here, I never went with him because it made for a long day and a night lasting well into the next morning by the time we would get home.

I don’t know what they are doing with the newer circle track just outside Nashville. It was closed for a long time but there have been blurps on the news about it re-opening to more than one venue, I think.

There are quite a few circle tracks around but the ones I know about dirt tracks, which are the most fun IMO

Old 11-11-2020, 04:35 AM

337 posts, read 449,275 times
I live in the North part of Murfreesboro. Love it here. I have also raced stock cars (circle track) most of my adult life. The Nashville Super Speedway is on the NASCAR schedule for next year and a couple of years beyond. It is located about 10-15 minutes due north of Murfreesboro, on 231. I don't know if you are referring to Stock Car racing or straight line Dragster type racing, so I will refrain from cluttering up this feed. You can DM me if you have any questions about racing or Murfreesboro and I'd be happy to answer them or check something out for you. I am retired.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:40 AM

337 posts, read 449,275 times
P.S. The Veterans Affairs Hospital in north Murfreesboro (Alvin C. York) is always looking for volunteers to assist veterans in many ways. It's a great way to serve or continue to serve the country. I use the facility and am very appreciative of the dedicated volunteers/staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville