Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,950 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are relocating for my husbands work to the Nashville area from Los Angeles in the next couple of months. We were looking in Columbia, but have found a historic home within walking distance of downtown Springfield that we love! Our realtor doesn’t know much about the area and it sounded like he was concerned about crime (coming from LA the crime stats don’t seem all that alarming); schools are not an issue as our kids are grown; We would love a quaint downtown with a few boutique-y mom & pop shops, a few good cafes/restaurants, with a nice “community” feel. Thoughts on Springfield? If you live there or know the areas why do you like/dislike it? Our budget is under $500k. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by TXtoCAtoTN; 09-11-2020 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: My post was cut off halfway through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 08:14 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,487,172 times
Springfield is a nice town, but it's one of the satellite county seats that seems very remote from Nashville perhaps because it has no direct expressway to the city. It's 30 miles from downtown Nashville. It's also noticeably less affluent than the bigger suburban cities. I get the impression it is a blue collar town, but that's just to set your expectations. Still nice. Lots of people enjoy the fact it's still rural, but close enough to the amenities of Nashville. I used to travel there fairly often but not in the past three years. So maybe things are on the upswing there, COVID notwithstanding.

Have you checked where the new residential and/or commercial developments are there? I realize you have a historic home, but you might not want to be in a declining area of town, even with a historic home. Springfield has a quaint downtown, and I noticed there were several Mom&Pop small businesses there. It's a beautiful area atop the northern Highland Rim. I think the town got short-changed a couple of decades ago when the state DOT made a decision NOT to build an outer-belt expressway around the north of Nashville. It would have gone right through Springfield.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:45 AM

2,987 posts, read 3,231,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtoCAtoTN View Post
Hi all! We are relocating for my husbands work to the Nashville area from Los Angeles in the next couple of months. We were looking in Columbia, but have found a historic home within walking distance of downtown Springfield that we love! Our realtor doesn’t know much about the area and it sounded like he was concerned about crime (coming from LA the crime stats don’t seem all that alarming); schools are not an issue as our kids are grown; We would love a quaint downtown with a few boutique-y mom & pop shops, a few good cafes/restaurants, with a nice “community” feel. Thoughts on Springfield? If you live there or know the areas why do you like/dislike it? Our budget is under $500k. Thank you in advance!
Crime in Springfield seems to be higher than average, but not nearly as bad as Memphis. Population about 17,000 in 2019. Getting to Nashville via I-24 or I-65 takes about 40 minutes in normal traffic.

Part of the problem is it is somewhat isolated from the rest of Nashville. You would have to visit to see if Springfield is for you. Spend some time in the county to see if you can find some old timey "mom & pops" or head over to Hendersonville & Goodletsville. Definitely not anything like Los Angeles

Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM

334 posts, read 1,278,761 times
I live near Springfield. Indeed it has some beautiful historic homes near a old city square and courthouse. It is actually In the middle (within 20 minutes) of I-24 and I-65. There are several mom and pop shops and restaurants but not every franchise under the sun. There is some crime but I don’t know how much exactly. My advice would be to make a trip to check out the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville