Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times

Advertisements

Well believe it. I have felt it brutally cold here in Nashville. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. It is not nice to be so critical. Aren't we all adults? We can have friendly debates. Also remember that the term "cold" may mean a different temperature to each of us. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Well believe it. I have felt it brutally cold here in Nashville. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. It is not nice to be so critical. Aren't we all adults? We can have friendly debates. Also remember that the term "cold" may mean a different temperature to each of us. Thank you.
You are so right; everyone has different temperature ranges. Our neighbor, for instance is very sensitive to heat. He sweats in 70 degree, breezy weather. He said he will never leave Wisconsin because anywhere else is too hot! I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Yep, everyone here is entitled to their opinion. As long as there are no direct personal attacks please keep posting away!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM

It would be interesting to compare heating bills. I am sure they will be a lot lower in TN....but so you pay a lot with air conditioning in the summer?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
It would be interesting to compare heating bills. I am sure they will be a lot lower in TN....but so you pay a lot with air conditioning in the summer?
It's relatively "cheap" compared to heating. Even when the air-conditioning is running all the time in the middle of summer my bill is still just one-half to two-third of my worst winter bills. It's not too hard to explain; in winter it might be 15 degrees and your unit is trying to keep it 70, a difference of 55 degrees. In summer it might be 95 and your unit is trying to keep it 72, a difference of 23 degrees. There's more to it than that, of course, but it's one big reason why cooling is cheaper.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
My house is 2000 sq. ft. and all electric. We have 4 of us in the house and do laundry daily. Our average electric bill is about $130.00/month yearround. We keep it on about 69 degrees in the winter and 70 degrees in the summer. I don't think that is bad at all.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It's relatively "cheap" compared to heating. Even when the air-conditioning is running all the time in the middle of summer my bill is still just one-half to two-third of my worst winter bills. It's not too hard to explain; in winter it might be 15 degrees and your unit is trying to keep it 70, a difference of 55 degrees. In summer it might be 95 and your unit is trying to keep it 72, a difference of 23 degrees. There's more to it than that, of course, but it's one big reason why cooling is cheaper.

That makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 PM

87 posts, read 292,182 times
i can't really explain cicadas. just google them. i don't like them.

personally my heat bill is low, and my air bill is high, but i keep my house at 66 at night in the winter and 69 during the day because i like it that way. i bump it up to 68 in the summer t night and 72 during the day because i don't want to pay anymore than that, and sleep under a sheet. also, my house just seems to heat up. it's some sort of solar effect, because even in the winter my house will warm up plenty during the day. my house is about 4000 sq ft and my electric averaged about 280 but i have gas heat and a gas water heater it's only significant 3 months a year. i just replaced some windows, so my electric may go down some now.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM

101 posts, read 383,343 times
Quote:
Well believe it. I have felt it brutally cold here in Nashville
Me too! Actually Nashville has become too cold for me so I'm moving soon. There have been plenty of days this winter where I just got chilled to the bone being outside for brief periods of time..with a heavy coat and all of the extras

Do you have a bad cicada problem in your area of town 2martins? I have seen maybe 5 here this spring...Usually dead and lying on the ground. In all of my time here I have never had an issue with them or seen many at all.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I've only lived in Nashville since January but I've experienced some really cold weather in Chicago that is in a completely different category than anything you'd ever experience in Nashville. I moved to Nashville from Phoenix and what I find unusual here is just how dramatically the weather can change from one day to the next. That's probably because I was so used to the predictable and calm weather in Arizona but it can get very windy and stormy around here and then the next day is beautiful. Overall I think Nashville has a generally mild climate. I've visited a few times before I moved here at different times of the year and as other have stated the humidity tends to make the cold feel colder and the heat feel hotter. Of course Chicago isn't exactly a dry climate either so I think you'd find it to be much milder overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville