Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,554 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Starting to plan a move in 2021 for a job in Franklin/Cool Springs (probably 8-5 in office). Hope to stay around $325-375k max for a home. At this point from research, I am drawn to Spring Hill and Murfreesboro the most and will be visiting soon to check them out. Looking for opinions on the following:

-Commute to/from Cool Springs and Spring Hill vs. Cool Springs and Murfreesboro
-General thoughts on quality of life in both communities
-I've also had my eye on Mount Juliet and Hville/Gville but am guessing these would be a horrid commute - thoughts?
-Recommend any other areas for a decent commute to Cool Springs that are in my price range

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 01:28 PM

382 posts, read 488,318 times
Spring Hill would generally be a closer commute. As far as quality of life is concerned, it depends on what is important to you. Spring Hill is more centered around families (not that M'boro isn't), but Murfreesboro has more amenities you wouldn't have to leave town for. Yet again, if you're already working around Franklin/Cool Springs, you'll have ample opportunity to do any shopping or eating you want while up there.

My observation is that Spring Hill is much quieter overall, but I'm sure you'd be able to find quiet areas of M'boro. With your budget, your housing options in M'boro are less limited and you may be able to afford a nicer neighborhood than you would in Spring Hill.

Mount Juliet and Hendersonville are great suburbs of Nashville, but a drive to Franklin/Cool Springs from either of those would be a bit excessive.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:57 PM

18 posts, read 25,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
Spring Hill would generally be a closer commute. As far as quality of life is concerned, it depends on what is important to you. Spring Hill is more centered around families (not that M'boro isn't), but Murfreesboro has more amenities you wouldn't have to leave town for. Yet again, if you're already working around Franklin/Cool Springs, you'll have ample opportunity to do any shopping or eating you want while up there.

My observation is that Spring Hill is much quieter overall, but I'm sure you'd be able to find quiet areas of M'boro. With your budget, your housing options in M'boro are less limited and you may be able to afford a nicer neighborhood than you would in Spring Hill.

Mount Juliet and Hendersonville are great suburbs of Nashville, but a drive to Franklin/Cool Springs from either of those would be a bit excessive.
Spring Hill is not by any means quiet, but it doesn’t really have a charm of its own yet. It feels more like a giant bedroom community for people who can’t quite afford to live in Franklin/Brentwood.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post

Thanks for the great advice. I was able to spend the past few days in the area checking out Spring Hill, M'boro, and Cool Springs. I like M'boro (very similar to the size of city I am used to) but I do like the drive between Spring Hill and Cool Springs better. Still considering both options and need to do some more research and exploring.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:05 PM

367 posts, read 584,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildspeed9 View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I was able to spend the past few days in the area checking out Spring Hill, M'boro, and Cool Springs. I like M'boro (very similar to the size of city I am used to) but I do like the drive between Spring Hill and Cool Springs better. Still considering both options and need to do some more research and exploring.

Something to consider, is that TDOT is expanding Hwy 96 that runs between Murfreesboro and Franklin/ Cool Springs from a two lane road to a 5 lane road with shoulders. Once completed commute times should improve greatly. They are just now starting on the first phase and I believe it is to be done in 4 phases. Should take several years to complete. Depending on how long you plan on living/working in the area it could make a difference if you choose Murfreesboro.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:27 AM

18 posts, read 25,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Something to consider, is that TDOT is expanding Hwy 96 that runs between Murfreesboro and Franklin/ Cool Springs from a two lane road to a 5 lane road with shoulders. Once completed commute times should improve greatly. They are just now starting on the first phase and I believe it is to be done in 4 phases. Should take several years to complete. Depending on how long you plan on living/working in the area it could make a difference if you choose Murfreesboro.
That will help, but they've only just started on the section between Arno Road and Wilson Pike. The other three sections are not yet funded for construction, so who knows when they'll be completed.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
As a former nashville resident of 6 years who lived for a short while near spring hill and murfreesboro I would agree that living in spring hill would cut your commute compared to mboro. Mboro is a great little town. Almost anything you could need is there. We have friends that still live in the area. Mboro does have more of a centralized downtown feel probably, but if it were me choosing I would probably go with Spring hill or Thompsons station (even closer and very family oriented). Both are good areas though. I don't think you could necessarily go wrong between those two.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildspeed9 View Post
Hey all,

Starting to plan a move in 2021 for a job in Franklin/Cool Springs (probably 8-5 in office). Hope to stay around $325-375k max for a home. At this point from research, I am drawn to Spring Hill and Murfreesboro the most and will be visiting soon to check them out. Looking for opinions on the following:

-Commute to/from Cool Springs and Spring Hill vs. Cool Springs and Murfreesboro
-General thoughts on quality of life in both communities
-I've also had my eye on Mount Juliet and Hville/Gville but am guessing these would be a horrid commute - thoughts?
-Recommend any other areas for a decent commute to Cool Springs that are in my price range

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Commute on I-65 favors Spring Hill over Murfreesboro.
If you spend any free time in Nashville favors I-65 over I-24.

Spring Hill is much smaller than Murfreesboro. Less crime

Mount Juliet to downtown Nashville is a pain. Then it opens up. Hville/Gville is similar, you have to get to/around downtown loop then face similar challenge in PM rush. Not much there worth going to.

Another area to consider could be Bellevue. Getting to I-65 via Old Hickory may be in your price range. Community with a suburban wooded feel with some open air shopping.

Something to watch is construction on Franklin & Holly Gap Road area to be completed in a year, then extension of the Franklin bypass west. May open areas of south Brentwood, west Franklin to explore.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:55 AM

32 posts, read 35,253 times
Agreed to favor I-65 over I-24. We have been living in Spring Hill for 3 years and it fits our lifestyle. It is a small and friendly community but it also has a lot of development. Houses are still affordable and it has everything we need. I come from a big city but I enjoy this quiet and slow environment. Spring Hill is close enough to Franklin/Cool Spring, Columbia and Murfreesboro when we want to shop or dine-in during weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville