Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 135,300 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Nashville area in a month or so, & it looks like I have an apartment lined up. I would be grateful if anyone could provide some honest feedback about the Graycroft/graybrook apartments. I've heard mixed things about Madison, & so I'm a little leery; however, the area near the apartments seems relatively quiet, & the apartments seem well-maintained. I have small children & so want them to feel safe. Any info???

Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Graycroft used to be a neat, well-maintained, safe area over there in Madison. I haven't been over there in that area in years so I can't say for sure whether that's still true. I would guess it still it, but it's just a guess.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,026,580 times
The area around North Graycroft (where these apartments are located) is probably the second nicest area in Madison, behind Neely's Bend. However, many might equate that to having the second best body at fat camp.

I will say this: I was flirting with this chick once who has worked for several different property management companies around Nashville, and she was the leasing manager for a while at Graycroft/Graybrook. I was living in Bellevue at the time, and she said there were less incidents to deal with at GG than at either of the two properties she had worked at in Bellevue.

I would have no hang-ups about living in the complex itself; if I were in your shoes my main concerns would be that Madison itself is just not that great of a place, and that's where you'll probably be doing all your shopping and dining. Also, I'm not sure what schools Graycroft is zoned for, but most of the schools in the northern part of Davidson County are unfathomably bad.

Have you considered Hendersonville? It's just a few more miles north. Our crime rate is a fraction of Metro's and the schools are exponentially better.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the information; I actually feel better, now. I'm not too worried about the schools, because my daughters will attend the private school I'll be working for.
As for Hendersonville, yes I've heard great things about the area, but it seems like I'd be paying 1100 for a 3-bedroom, when I can get a large apt. at graycroft for 800 or so.
Anything in Hendersonville for a comparable price?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
kmw

25 posts, read 155,989 times
I live off of North Graycroft. The area is nice and quiet....lots of 50's and 60's homes on large lots. The area is right on the border of Goodlettsville....and a mile from the I65 entrance on Old Hickory Blvd. It's so convenient! Just 10 miles into Downtown Nashville...with lots of options on how to get there. Graycroft turns into Ellington Parkway headed south and it's a wonderful 4 lane highway that drops you off right in Downtown. Rivergate is about 4 miles away with all the shopping and restaurants you would probably want. I really think many people are misled about Madison....there may be less than desirable areas, but there are many good, safe areas, too. I have never had a problem or felt unsafe. I know someone who used to live in those apartments and liked them. I've never been to them so can't speak from experience. I don't have kids, so don't know about the schools. But Madison is not what everyone seems to think it is. Even Franklin was recently in the news due to gang activity....so nothing is perfect and not everyone can afford to live in the "rich" towns and neighborhoods.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw View Post
But Madison is not what everyone seems to think it is. Even Franklin was recently in the news due to gang activity....so nothing is perfect and not everyone can afford to live in the "rich" towns and neighborhoods.

We could afford to live elsewhere, but decided on Madison because it's close to Nashville (gas prices are only going higher), we're living in a nice house that we can afford on one income, we're in a good neighborhood, and, to be honest, we don't want to live in an overwhelmingly white, middle-class area.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the information. I guess you never really know until you live in an area, and go through your daily routine for awhile. Although, this information does seem to confirm that that's a quiet little area--which I'm looking forward to (coming from s. florida!).

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
By the way, kmw mentioned Ellington Parkway. That really would be convenient if you're going downtown. I lived out that way for a year back in the 80's and took Ellington into downtown every day. It's like an Interstate, but without the through-traffic or truck traffic.

When I lived out there they were filming the movie Starman a little further out on Briley Parkway and I, like an idiot, went to watch them and got stuck in traffic.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,402 times
Default Greycroft is a great place to live

Hi I moved here from Minnesota over 2 years ago and Graycroft was where I lived for a year. The people are friendly and if I had any problems with anything in the apartment it was taken care of immediately. The neighbors were all friendly and it was like a small community watching out for each other. I met people who had lived there for more then 5 years. They all told me they were never planning on staying that long but it is such a nice place and safe place they do not plan to move. I lived at another apartment complex in the Madison area before moving to Graybrook and I never felt safe there. I think you would love it there, I did. Good Luck in your search.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis1071 View Post
Thanks for the information; I actually feel better, now. I'm not too worried about the schools, because my daughters will attend the private school I'll be working for.
As for Hendersonville, yes I've heard great things about the area, but it seems like I'd be paying 1100 for a 3-bedroom, when I can get a large apt. at graycroft for 800 or so.
Anything in Hendersonville for a comparable price?
My daughter lived at on Star Blvd in Madison but I can't remember the apartment name. I think it's near where you are talking about. She liked it okay there, but learned to always keep the doors locked at all times of the day. She ended up moving to Goodlettsville to a rental house.

Before that she lived in Hendersonville at Waterview Apts. Cheap apts then, but the maintenance lacked considerably. In fact so much so that she paid to break the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville