Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 06:29 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times

Advertisements

30 minutes? Maybe on a good day. That far out is easily one hour on most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 09:58 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I know when Cool Springs started to be developed no one thought anyone would drive that far out, just to shop. People who live in downtown Nashville aren’t going to drive to June Lake so the distance doesn’t matter. I am sure it will blossom just like Cool Springs, given time.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:56 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Columbia, likely not for reasons already mentioned. Spring Hill and Mt. Juliet seem to make the most sense. Both have high income demographics and massive mixed use developments underway or proposed. There is pent up demand for higher end retail, grocery, and residential options in the eastern portion of Nashville's metro. Spring Hill is an extension of Franklin. The developments and future infrastructure improvements are very telling of developers' bets on the growth of the area. I-65 needs to be widened all the way to the Columbia exit 46, which is where the southern portion of Nashville's reach ends.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 27,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdamin23 View Post
I’ve thought about this myself.

My guess is it will become a blue collar/middle class version of Franklin. Solid town with a great charm, but not going to attract the kind of higher end development that Brentwood (Maryland Farms), Franklin (Cool Springs/Berry Farms) and even Spring Hill (June Lake) are attracting. It just doesn’t have the base to support it right now (it’s pretty telling Columbia doesn’t even have stores like Target or Publix). The other issue is it’s further inland from the Interstate compared to Brentwood, Franklin and Spring Hill.

They say the upcoming June Lake development along I-65 in Spring Hill is about at the 30 minute mark from downtown, and that’s the farthest they want to go.
Your comment about the stores is spot on. Didn't think of that when I posted. I have a rule about checking where Whole Foods and stores on the level of Publix are or will be going in when checking out real estate. I don't know if there are any plans for that in Columbia area? Would be interesting to research.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:36 AM

18 posts, read 25,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGirl7 View Post
Your comment about the stores is spot on. Didn't think of that when I posted. I have a rule about checking where Whole Foods and stores on the level of Publix are or will be going in when checking out real estate. I don't know if there are any plans for that in Columbia area? Would be interesting to research.
There was talk of a Publix on the north side of town as part of a development of a hotel, but I have not heard any new news on that in a while. I also know they plan to redevelop the Columbia Mall, but I'm not sure what will go there.

The issue is Columbia isn't as high of an income area as Brentwood, Franklin and the Williamson County side of Spring Hill. I'm not sure how much the growth will change that. Most of the growth is coming from the far north side, which is the subdivisions just south of the GM plant in Spring Hill. Most of those folks are closer to the Crossings in Spring Hill as opposed to say, James Campbell Blvd in Columbia. However, a wild card could how much they can develop the area along Bear Creek Pike between Highway 31 and I-65.

It will be interesting to see what the next decade holds for the Spring Hill/Columbia area.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
First of all, the notion that there is "no more land to buy" in Williamson County is asinine. Full stop. Is the housing market a bit crazy? Sure. But that doesn't mean there are a lack of new housing options. It's more that demand is so high that builders can't keep up. It doesn't help that (especially Brentwood) zoning and approvals are a bit more stingy than they are in most other counties in the area (because they can). But there is plenty of available land, and plenty of construction going on. Williamson County will continue to be one of the top counties — in terms of population growth — in the Nashville Metro, for the foreseeable future.

In what ways do you see Columbia taking a similar track to Franklin? I think the main problem with the comparison is where Columbia ranks on the totem pole right now in terms of Nashville area suburbs.

Columbia is a large exurb on the periphery of the Nashville metro area. The trend of the growth moving south has primarily been fueled by cheaper housing further out — but that becomes less and less desirable as commute times increase. There is plenty of developable land much closer in to Nashville. That's why you are starting to see areas on the north side grow a bit. Columbia's biggest enemy is proximity. Franklin is closer to Nashville than Columbia is to....Franklin.

Columbia has been left in the dust in the past 40 years. 40 years ago it was the 4th largest city in Middle Tennessee (Nashville, Clarksville, Murfreesboro....and then Columbia). Now it is 10th...and will probably drop another spot or two in the coming decade.

It's not that Columbia doesn't have hope, or can't improve. But I think it is way, way behind a lot of other areas in the Nashville metro before we can start comparing it in any way to Franklin. The physical infrastructure — the downtown square, the road network, the regional medical center — those are the things Columbia shares in common with Franklin. Nothing that is connected to those bones is remotely similar.

I don't think there is a "next" Franklin just as I don't think there is a "next" Murfreesboro. Those two are major driving forces and I think some unique factors will prevent them from being replicated within the metro. But if I were to have to make an argument for the "next" Franklin, it would be Mount Juliet. Growth-wise and economics wise, it's arguably the best fit. It just lacks the physical comparisons in terms of infrastructure. Spring Hill fits that argument as well.

If there is a city that I see rising in status, that shares more of the physical characteristics of Franklin, that could make a pretty large physical transformation in the next 20 years, my money would be on Gallatin.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:17 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If there is a city that I see rising in status, that shares more of the physical characteristics of Franklin, that could make a pretty large physical transformation in the next 20 years, my money would be on Gallatin.
Gallatin really is growing like wildfire and has already surpassed Columbia in population, if Census estimates are accurate. It's certainly already surged past Columbia in retail developments and, thanks in large part to the announced $800 million Facebook data center and the hundreds of new homes on the way in dozens of new developments, it can be argued that Gallatin's rapid growth is just getting cranked up.

2010 population
Columbia : 34,681
Gallatin : 30,278

2019 etimates
Columbia : 40,335
Gallatin : 42,918

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-07-2021, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 27,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Gallatin really is growing like wildfire and has already surpassed Columbia in population, if Census estimates are accurate. It's certainly already surged past Columbia in retail developments and, thanks in large part to the announced $800 million Facebook data center and the hundreds of new homes on the way in dozens of new developments, it can be argued that Gallatin's rapid growth is just getting cranked up.

2010 population
Columbia : 34,681
Gallatin : 30,278

2019 etimates
Columbia : 40,335
Gallatin : 42,918
I had no idea Gallatin was growing that fast. Where is it putting all this growth? Is this spillover from Hendersonville on the western side of Gallatin?

Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankbills View Post
I had no idea Gallatin was growing that fast. Where is it putting all this growth? Is this spillover from Hendersonville on the western side of Gallatin?
I think a lot of the lakefront area, and the gap between Hendersonville and Gallatin are really starting to grow (with some higher density developments as well). There is also a lot of land along the newer section of Vietnam Veterans and the Gallatin exits there (Big Station Camp, Green Lea). But it's really all over town. Gallatin actually has a pretty good map showing public and private projects going on in the city.

https://www.gallatintn.gov/1722/New-...ts-in-Gallatin

Old 02-07-2021, 10:58 AM

22 posts, read 27,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think a lot of the lakefront area, and the gap between Hendersonville and Gallatin are really starting to grow (with some higher density developments as well). There is also a lot of land along the newer section of Vietnam Veterans and the Gallatin exits there (Big Station Camp, Green Lea). But it's really all over town. Gallatin actually has a pretty good map showing public and private projects going on in the city.

https://www.gallatintn.gov/1722/New-...ts-in-Gallatin
That's really cool! That is a lot of growth. A good amount of apartments and high density items.

For what its worth I found one for Mt. Juliet. Its similar but with maybe more renderings and less information about each project. Still pretty cool.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/...26c6f4ac71#map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville