Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 03:06 PM

194 posts, read 190,252 times

Advertisements

My point is that the resources are so thin that the heart of Nashville is still snow covered after a minor snow event. I get that the resources are not like what they'd be in the north but I'm a little surprised how nothing has been done where I live. To my knowledge it hasn't even snowed today so it's not like they have have to keep redoing critical roads. We don't exactly live in Miami do I would have assumed a little more snow resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 04:01 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
The last time we had a Winter Storm Warning was five years ago. Hard to have equipment that is only needed once every five years.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 PM

206 posts, read 184,668 times
So how do they plow snow when there is one.
Why so many power outages with such a small storm.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:43 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
The last time we had a Winter Storm Warning was five years ago. Hard to have equipment that is only needed once every five years.
Nashville used to get regular snows, 5 years has been the longest stretch we’ve gone without a winter storm. It was expected back in the early 2000’s and before, especially mid February-early March which is our big snow period. As far as clearing the roads the biggest difference in the way winter weather is handled here vs. northern areas is for one the ice, which we got a lot of yesterday, the terrain and types of roads we have. We have tons of hilly/curvy back roads that connect our neighborhoods to main parts of the city which makes it hard to even get snow removal trucks down. If we were set up more on a grid system on flatter land, wide streets, and mostly snow, it would be much easier to remove.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
So how do they plow snow when there is one.
Why so many power outages with such a small storm.
We had a lot of ice, ice came down really hard. That’s what people are failing to understand. We can handle a little nice fluffy snow but when you get about 3 inches of ice it makes a big difference. The areas that experienced power outages received freezing rain which is the worst of all winter weather. The rain freezes on contact which weighs down trees and power lines. So, we can handle a nice little snow but I don’t know if anyone, from anywhere can handle ice like a pro.
We have snow trucks with the shovels that remove the snow.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:46 PM

194 posts, read 190,252 times
Putting state and local resources aside, I'm wondering why my apartment and neighboring hotels and businesses aren't at the very least shoveling walkways and sidewalks. This whole thing is just so weird to me. No one is doing anything anywhere it seems. It's like everyone is waiting for the snow to melt which won't occur until the weekend. Maybe I'll start shoveling the streets!

Old 02-17-2021, 12:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Putting state and local resources aside, I'm wondering why my apartment and neighboring hotels and businesses aren't at the very least shoveling walkways and sidewalks. This whole thing is just so weird to me. No one is doing anything anywhere it seems. It's like everyone is waiting for the snow to melt which won't occur until the weekend. Maybe I'll start shoveling the streets!
Not sure why businesses might be so slow, but you probably aren't too far off the mark with that last comment. I've been over here in northeast TN for around ten years, and finally decided last year to buy a snow shovel 'just in case'. Because yeah, most of the time it's easier to sweep away any little bit of snow, or wait for it to melt within a few hours.
Ice is a whole other thing, and oddly enough it's more of a problem in the warmer parts of the state than it is here in the tri-cities area.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:

I live near downtown and I tried to shovel my back steps yesterday. Impossible because under the little bit of snow, there was about 3 inches of solid ice. Even taking a hammer to the ice didn't do much good. And my neighbors' back covered porch overhang snapped off where it was attached to the house due to the weight of all of the ice on it.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:47 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Looks can be deceiving. Just because there's not much snow doesn't mean it's not slick. This video was taken 2 days ago in Franklin. No snow in sight, and it sure didn't "look" icy. But it doesn't take much ice to make things treacherous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWHQfECz0k

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-17-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Apartments are private property many times owned by corporate offices out of state. My complex did plow as much as they could, though hard due to 3 inches of solid ice and the fact that cars are parked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: