Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM

26 posts, read 90,882 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Nashville, TN from Houston, TX next month (June 2008) to pursue a music career. To start I have a budget of $500/mo, pref. including all utilities.

I've found some places in Antioch but have read that it's not safe. Is that true?

Also, how bad is driving in Nashville? If I wanted to drive from one end of Houston to the other, it could easily take me 1.5-2 hours. Is Nashville like that, too? And how bad is traffic? Alright, please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 AM

210 posts, read 586,171 times
IMHO traffic is not better or worse then other cities of similiar size. If you tired to find a commute that took 1.5-2 hours you probibly could but it would be from one far reaching corner to davidson county to another. Its doubtful you would find a commute that long within nashville propper. OK Antioch in general...there are bad parts, and parts that as not as bad. Stay away from Nolensville Rd, the area of the mall, and up around Murfreesboro Rd. Keep in mind, Antioch is a word used to describe very LARGE area. There is an area sometimes referred to as "brentioch" Nippers Corner, Edmundson Pk...that area is not as bad as the the other area. You might be able to find something close to you budget in that area. You might want to look in the Bellevue area. Lots of appartments, normally a pretty budget friendly area. But i will be honest its going to be tough for $500. Just keep looking and if you contact any complexes ask them if they are running any specials. that could possible make it affordable enough for the first few months till you got on your feet and could bump up your budget a bit. Good luck!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,007,542 times
$500/month including all utilities ain't gonna happen in Nashville without a roommate, even in Hispantioch. Get on Craigslist, find a roommate, then heed the above poster's advice and start looking in Bellevue.

There is no commute in Nashville that should take anywhere near 1.5 or 2 hours. Even something like Murfreesboro to the west end of Nashville should clock in at under an hour and a half. That isn't to say that traffic is a picnic here -- there are some trouble spots -- but you shouldn't have any complaints if you're coming from somewhere like Houston or Atlanta.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM

625 posts, read 4,559,379 times
If you are trying to get into the music industry, I wouldn't recommend living in Bellevue (I live in Bellevue by the way, but already have a career)...you should try to live where other musicians live: East Nashville, music row, etc...seems like you would want to be right in the middle of all the music stuff if you're trying to "make it"...that's my advice. You'll need to get a roommate though, can't live anywhere even remotely safe on that budget by yourself.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,963,351 times
Keepin' it real...

you're going to need a roommate, or two, on your budget.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,591,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Keepin' it real...

you're going to need a roommate, or two, on your budget.

I 2nd this post. Yes, keeping it very real!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 PM

87 posts, read 291,210 times
lots of musicians share houses in east nashville. its cheap, and being close to the scene is worth something, too. you are going to want to go see people play, do open mike nights maybe, that's gulch, downtown, east nashville, NOT antioch.

east nashville has some ick, like crack houses, but as a single male you should be ok with roomies. also, insider tip: visit different churches. you'd be amazed who you can meet at church. be nice to EVERYONE. you do not know who they are or may be next week.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM

26 posts, read 90,882 times
what does a one bedroom or efficiency cost in east nashville?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM

24 posts, read 64,770 times
My best friend was just looking for a one-bedroom apartment in Nashville and her budget was $700/month...she couldn't find anything that wasn't completely ghetto. For $500/month I'd say it's impossible...at least without roommates. One thing I would recommend you look into is taking a room in a house with some random people...there are some listings on craigslist where people are staying in great houses and have extra bedrooms, and you can get good deals in situations like that. My friend could've done that, but she didn't want to live with random people. If you're open to it, it's definitely worth looking into. That's the only way you'll get to stay downtown on that kind of budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville