Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:27 PM

17 posts, read 22,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Most of the walkable city neighborhoods with the character and amenities you seem to want will lean noticeably left complete with yards dotted with BLM and the colorful "We believe women's rights are human rights, love is love, no human is illegal, etc." signs to show solidarity.

If such open displays of inclusivity bother you, then perhaps try Green Hills or one one of the more conservative suburban areas with new urbanist-style apartments like Cool Springs or Providence in Mt. Juliet. Personally, I don't find the latter two to be particularly welcoming as a gay Nashvillian especially Mt. Juliet. I had a negative retail experience at Providence last year with a sales rep telling someone else how much he hates gays within earshot of me. That said, I have known less-politically engaged LGBTQ people who faired fine in both areas.

Either way, something will have to give as your criteria mostly screams "liberal, urban Nashville neighborhood" save for the political conservativism that you led with and bolded. You'll have decide whether being surrounding by liberals and out LGBTQ people who don't give a damn about whether they're in a so-called "scene" (whatever that even means in 2021) is less important to you than a more politically conservative environment. Best of luck solving your conundrum.
My conservatism is much, much more important to me than my lesbianism, but more important than both in terms of where I live is the convenience and character of the neighborhood.

I am sick of seeing BLM signs and nonsensical, virtue-signaling signs about "human rights" though.

Maybe Franklin would be a decent fit for me? According to what I've read so far, it has plenty of historic character and things to do, and the political views lean moderate? I don't know how accurate that is but it sounds promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 05:17 PM

382 posts, read 488,902 times
Franklin definitely leans conservative but I don't find the social climate there to be particularly hostile to LGBTQ people and I speak as a gay man living in Nashville. Personally, I just don't see a lot of areas that are both gay friendly and conservative at the same time. If conservatism is more important to you, but you still want to live your life and be left alone, I'd say Franklin and Bellevue are your best bet, possibly Donelson, but Donelson is getting more influx from East Nashville (a very left-leaning crowd).

Old 05-22-2021, 03:03 PM

34 posts, read 31,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawanderer View Post
My conservatism is much, much more important to me than my lesbianism, but more important than both in terms of where I live is the convenience and character of the neighborhood.

I am sick of seeing BLM signs and nonsensical, virtue-signaling signs about "human rights" though.

Maybe Franklin would be a decent fit for me? According to what I've read so far, it has plenty of historic character and things to do, and the political views lean moderate? I don't know how accurate that is but it sounds promising.
Glad you made this post. While i'm not a Lesbian (i'm not a woman or identify as one either) but I am a minority and it seems like being a part of certain group automatically designates us into the left which is something I am definitely not. I guess i'll be checking out Franklin myself!

Old 05-24-2021, 02:25 PM

181 posts, read 159,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post
Glad you made this post. While i'm not a Lesbian (i'm not a woman or identify as one either) but I am a minority and it seems like being a part of certain group automatically designates us into the left which is something I am definitely not. I guess i'll be checking out Franklin myself!
Ditto!

Old 05-24-2021, 05:07 PM

537 posts, read 450,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawanderer View Post
Hi, all. I'm moving to Nashville and will be working close to Oak Hill. I'd love neighborhood recs. I'll be visiting later this month and would like to have a shortlist of neighborhoods to check out before I move.

About me:

-Politically conservative

-Lesbian

I'm not part of the LGBT "scene" but I'd still like the neighborhood to be LGBT-friendly

-Bougie

I like things well-maintained and clean and not gonna lie, I like fancy shops, boutiques, and aesthetically pleasing, historic architecture -- oh, and proximity to a theatre or performing arts center would be ideal.

-Looking for character and convenience

I don't want to live in a neighborhood that is mostly big chain restaurants and stores -- the kind of neighborhood you could find anywhere in America. I want something distinctly Nashville. That being said, I do want to be walking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, etc. I'd just prefer if they had more local flavor.

My budget is $1,350 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment but willing to go higher for the right fit. Looking for no more than a ~15 minute drive to the Oak Hill area, less is obviously better.

Thanks for any recs!
I know nothing about costs for an apartment, but Green Hills would be an easy commute to the Oak Hill area.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:55 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
For your budget maybe Bellevue comes into play.

Don't know much about lesbian but is fairly conservative.

For walkability & business have 4 areas to choose from.
1) The West Nashville development on Charlotte west of White bridge. Publix, Target, McKay used bookstore.
Not far from White Bridge Trader Joes Target. A lot of newer housing between White Bridge and Old Hickory.

2) Corner of US70S & Old Hickory Kroger, CVS

3) New Bellevue Place with Ford Ice rink, Publix, Sprouts, many banks.

4) Hwy 100 & Temple road. Newer Kroger, Publix, etc.

You will need a car but an easy drive using Old Hickory or Harding Place to Oak Hill. Go by Green Hills on the way.

In the current tight housing market you may simply need a nice place to stay till something else opens up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville