Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2021, 07:12 PM
 
194 posts, read 196,401 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Serious question. Why does the Fourth of July event have to have a concert headlined by that country music singer, whatever his name is? Philly gets Flo Rida, and we get this guy? Not that Flo Rida is someone I really listen to, but it would have been nice to have someone big who caters to a different demographic for once.

Nashville obviously has ties to country music and always will, but it's time to modernize in my opinion. Don't call it "Music City" when everything still revolves around country music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2021, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Franklin, TN
6,662 posts, read 13,401,846 times
Reputation: 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Serious question. Why does the Fourth of July event have to have a concert headlined by that country music singer, whatever his name is? Philly gets Flo Rida, and we get this guy? Not that Flo Rida is someone I really listen to, but it would have been nice to have someone big who caters to a different demographic for once.

Nashville obviously has ties to country music and always will, but it's time to modernize in my opinion. Don't call it "Music City" when everything still revolves around country music.
We did have Sheryl Crow a few years ago. Not a wildly different genre, but not Country, either.

I think the obvious answer is that Country Music is the safe play. Plenty of Country stars live here, and it's not hard to have a big name host a big time event.

Would I like to see more diversity in the theming and pickings for various events? Yes. Absolutely. I think Nashville has a lot more to offer than just Country. But like I said, it's the safe play. It's the expected play. The powers that be know that it will bring the eyes and tourist dollars.

With the number of aging rock stars retiring here, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to put together an ensemble of them to preform shows like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2021, 08:24 PM
 
1,681 posts, read 1,948,319 times
Reputation: 7266
The approximately 400,000 people attending the FREE concert and fire works event evidently heartily disagree with the OP ——-

EDITED TO ADD:

According to the news, Guitarist Joe Bonamassa came up on stage with Brad Paisley. I would much rather hear him than FloRida.

Last edited by Normashirley; 07-04-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2021, 09:55 PM
 
194 posts, read 196,401 times
Reputation: 369
If we had a big name R&B or pop star, there would still be 400,000 people downtown watching the concert and seeing the fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2021, 12:35 AM
 
383 posts, read 494,318 times
Reputation: 544
Agreed. It would be nice to see some music diversity with these large events for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2021, 06:14 AM
 
4,358 posts, read 4,758,995 times
Reputation: 7477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
The approximately 400,000 people attending the FREE concert and fire works event evidently heartily disagree with the OP ——-

EDITED TO ADD:

According to the news, Guitarist Joe Bonamassa came up on stage with Brad Paisley. I would much rather hear him than FloRida.
All the tourists who came in town did not care who was playing. They came to party in Nashville.

I like country (though not my fave), so I agree, it would be nice to have more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2021, 10:00 AM
 
194 posts, read 196,401 times
Reputation: 369
I would love to see Nashville rebrand to focus on how much of a beast it is in health care, tech, and all forms of music. The country music Nashville is old school and doesn't reflect the recent and future breed of transplants, who will reshape the city into the future. Let's make Nashville attractive to everyone nationwide, as a tourist destination and a place to call home.

And while I understand tourism is important, why can't we have one event that caters more to the preferences of locals? And given the amount of times I hear Usher and Lil Jon being played by those tourist busses that constantly drive by building, I don't think that a non-country headliner would have driven all the tourists away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2021, 10:41 AM
 
4,358 posts, read 4,758,995 times
Reputation: 7477
Quote:
why can't we have one event that caters more to the preferences of locals?
Live on the Green and Pilgrimage Festival are more local driven. And not country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2021, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Bellevue
3,136 posts, read 3,428,337 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Serious question. Why does the Fourth of July event have to have a concert headlined by that country music singer, whatever his name is? Philly gets Flo Rida, and we get this guy? Not that Flo Rida is someone I really listen to, but it would have been nice to have someone big who caters to a different demographic for once.

Nashville obviously has ties to country music and always will, but it's time to modernize in my opinion. Don't call it "Music City" when everything still revolves around country music.
Probably not. Even the June FanFest is provided by Country Music Association CMA. They have access to all the record labels & stars. Next year will be headlined by another country music singer/band. Other than the Grand Ole Opry this may be the way for the country music stars to play Nashville. It has been a while for anyone to play the Bridgestone or Nissan Stadium. If someone plays the Ryman it is the Mother Church of Country Music. You have 30 years of the old Grand Ole Opry plus the winter schedule of broadcasts since 1995 making history in the auditorium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2021, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Washington
16 posts, read 50,951 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
I would love to see Nashville rebrand to focus on how much of a beast it is in health care, tech, and all forms of music. The country music Nashville is old school and doesn't reflect the recent and future breed of transplants, who will reshape the city into the future. Let's make Nashville attractive to everyone nationwide, as a tourist destination and a place to call home.

And while I understand tourism is important, why can't we have one event that caters more to the preferences of locals? And given the amount of times I hear Usher and Lil Jon being played by those tourist busses that constantly drive by building, I don't think that a non-country headliner would have driven all the tourists away!
As a transplant to Hawai'i and Seattle from South Florida. How can I expect to move to a city with a unique history/culture then try to change it to what I want. That's how California transplants ruined Colorado and Austin. Please don't take this as an attack on you because it is not. I move to other cities to enjoy what is there before me and not change it to what I left. Nashville is a southern town famous for country music and I'm sure there are venues to enjoy whatever music you are into. I'm not into country music but to move there and complain about it seems weird. That's why transplants get a bad rap and people don't want us moving to their towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top