Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 90,799 times

Advertisements

im moving to nashville from houston, tx to pursue a career in music, and im trying to find a music-related and decent-paying job in the music business somewhere? any idea where i should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,140,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoindio View Post
im moving to nashville from houston, tx to pursue a career in music, and im trying to find a music-related and decent-paying job in the music business somewhere? any idea where i should look?
It's difficult to suggest where you should look without knowing more specifics about what you are looking for and what you bring to the table as far as experience and talent. You may also want to consider visiting Nashville and talking with people who are in the business or trying to get into the business. If you are a musician be prepared to meet hundreds of other musicians trying to break in. I don't want to discourage you, but unless you are exceptional you need to be prepared to wait on tables or some other similar job in order to put food on your own table. Also, I'm not sure what your definition of a decent paying job is as everyone's definition is different. I know a number of people who have come to Nashville for the purpose of getting into the music business. The majority of them have to begin by renting an inexpensive apartment, many times with a roommate, and get some type of service job working for tips and/or low wages while trying to find what they initially came here for.
Although it might seem that I'm painting a somewhat bleak picture I'm really not wanting to discourage you but rather to prepare you for what you probably will encounter. I wish you luck.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,595,113 times
I wasn't sure I should post here for fear of dampening your spirits, but I decided it's better that you come prepared. There are lots of crazy-talented folks interning for nothing or next to nothing on the Row. That doesn't mean you won't do well. If you have the goods, and work hard, you'll be fine. Just know what to expect. Piracy has affected the industry as much as the economy. This means more competition for fewer jobs.

Good luck. If music is your dream, I hope you give it a fair shot.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Cool yeah, i know.....but...

akm4 and gbone,
i appreciate your candor. i do. but im already pretty aware of what im getting myself into. thanks, though. im sure ill be surrounded by extremely talented people who are all struggling. and that's just how it has to be. i also plan on getting some sort of job to help pay the bills. i was just asking because id be willing to do just abt any music-related day job if i can combine getting paycheck with music. i need to make like $2k a month to reasonably be able to support myself. and i wanted to find some job in the music that would allow me to do that. also, im not really planning on competing as such with other songwriters in the nashville area. im going to be doing a lot of reconnaissance mostly, to see what im up against ....so i can strategize. NSAI, TAXI...also organizations i plan to join to help build my resume, along with maybe pay the bills a little bit so i can take a few more chances. anyway, any help is appreciated...

thanks again,
loco

Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,582,483 times
Quote:
Your odds are one in a million. Be the ONE. Follow your dreams! Never ever take "No" for an answer.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
akm4 and gbone,
....so i can strategize. NSAI, TAXI...also organizations i plan to join to help build my resume, along with maybe pay the bills a little bit so i can take a few more chances. thanks again,
loco
I'm not sure I understand this part.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Default teaching music?

how hard is it to get a job teaching music in nashville, as opposed to some other job? please write back...

loco

Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM

427 posts, read 1,302,461 times
Quote:
how hard is it to get a job teaching music in nashville, as opposed to some other job? please write back...

loco

Depends on what you mean by "teaching music."

Studio lessons on an instrument? No credentials needed for that. Just start advertising. You might connect with a local music store for references, and some might provide studio space. However, it's very time consuming, and the pay isn't great. Most music teachers I know do private lessons to supplement what they get from gigs.

Teaching in a school? You'll need certification for elementary/high school teaching. Most colleges require credentials, as well, and teaching positions are highly competitive because there are so many musicians in the area.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Check with music stores to see what they require and what they pay. Most of them offer lessons in-house.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM

427 posts, read 1,302,461 times
locoindio, what specifically do you mean by "a career in music"? Performing? Producing? Advertising? Teaching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville