Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 06:17 PM

537 posts, read 449,218 times

Advertisements

I was at the airport last week for the first time in years. I dropped off someone at 5 am. The traffic was horrible even that early. I cannot for the life of me understand why there are two stop lights after you drop off someone to get back onto I40. All of this is just going to clog up traffic exiting from the airport. There should be a direct path to I40 that does not involve stop lights. This design is another reason Nashville is not a top tier city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 07:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
So the fact that the airport, which is undergoing a multi-billion dollar expansion, has two stop lights between the drop-off area and I-40 is a reason that Nashville is not a top tier city?

Do you have any other complaints?

Last edited by JMT; 04-06-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 10:58 PM

21 posts, read 23,128 times
I picked up my parents from BNA last night around 9:30. I’ve flown out of most major airports in the country over the last few years and IMHO BNA is the worst airport by far. My parents complained there were no moving sidewalks walking from their gate to baggage. That would be a great benefit to them. However, this is a small issue compared to the horrendous traffic back up in the arrival pick up lanes. BNA has eliminated the parking garage (it’s valet)closest to the terminal that I used to be able to use prior to this latest renovation. Therefore I’m unable to effectively park and go inside the terminal and assist them with their luggage. I instead spent 30 minutes slow cruising around the terminal parking lot in 5 mph traffic. I flew out of ATL about three years ago and it took me less than 10 minutes to go from the departing flight traffic lanes, thru TSA to my gate (On a busy Thursday morning BTW).

Old 04-06-2022, 09:08 AM

157 posts, read 79,035 times
Picking up at arriving flight is a nightmare during the construction. It really is horrible. It's chaos.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:38 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7543 View Post
I picked up my parents from BNA last night around 9:30. I’ve flown out of most major airports in the country over the last few years and IMHO BNA is the worst airport by far. My parents complained there were no moving sidewalks walking from their gate to baggage. That would be a great benefit to them. However, this is a small issue compared to the horrendous traffic back up in the arrival pick up lanes. BNA has eliminated the parking garage (it’s valet)closest to the terminal that I used to be able to use prior to this latest renovation. Therefore I’m unable to effectively park and go inside the terminal and assist them with their luggage. I instead spent 30 minutes slow cruising around the terminal parking lot in 5 mph traffic. I flew out of ATL about three years ago and it took me less than 10 minutes to go from the departing flight traffic lanes, thru TSA to my gate (On a busy Thursday morning BTW).
"The worst airport by far"? Did you notice the 8 massive construction cranes at the airport? LOL why don't you wait till construction is finished to render judgment? The airport is going through more than a 'renovation'. It's a major expansion to double capacity, and presently the middle has literally been cut out. They are effectively building a new passenger terminal around the old one. The garage you referring to is going to be replaced with a larger capacity and a hotel on top. To do this while operations are not only continuing but also ramping back up after the pandemic will (News Flash!) cause CHAOS. The new building will include plenty of moving walkways and improved landside ingress/egress. Instead of cruising around the ring road for a half hour, I suggest you use the cell phone lot, which is exactly why it's set up. If everyone did that, the arrivals pickup lanes would be much better.

I fly out of ATL at least 3X a quarter and I've never gotten from any parking lot/garage thru TSA and to my gate in 10 minutes. More like 30 minutes (tops) to 45 minutes. In fact their TSA is notorious for dithering and clogging at the worst times. So you hit it on a really good morning.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj7543 View Post

I don't know if you can use last night as a good test as there was a murder on one of the roads leading to the airport so there was going to be traffic no matter what. There are TWO parking garages, one right across from the terminal. Valet is only on the first level.

Last edited by JMT; 04-06-2022 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-08-2022, 10:35 PM

21 posts, read 23,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
"The worst airport by far"? Did you notice the 8 massive construction cranes at the airport? LOL why don't you wait till construction is finished to render judgment? The airport is going through more than a 'renovation'. It's a major expansion to double capacity, and presently the middle has literally been cut out. They are effectively building a new passenger terminal around the old one. The garage you referring to is going to be replaced with a larger capacity and a hotel on top. To do this while operations are not only continuing but also ramping back up after the pandemic will (News Flash!) cause CHAOS. The new building will include plenty of moving walkways and improved landside ingress/egress. Instead of cruising around the ring road for a half hour, I suggest you use the cell phone lot, which is exactly why it's set up. If everyone did that, the arrivals pickup lanes would be much better.

I fly out of ATL at least 3X a quarter and I've never gotten from any parking lot/garage thru TSA and to my gate in 10 minutes. More like 30 minutes (tops) to 45 minutes. In fact their TSA is notorious for dithering and clogging at the worst times. So you hit it on a really good morning.
Maybe I did catch ATL on a good day/weekend. Regardless it was the most organized and efficient TSA I’ve experienced. BTW, I stop at cell phone lot prior to cruising the arrival lanes. There were barely any parking places and when I did find one the truck in front of me left her headlights on so I could enjoy them while waiting. Granted maybe the experience will greatly improve once BNA completes its renovation/reconstruction/expansion etc. Still I stand by statement “worst airport by far”. I’ve flown through every major airport in the country with the exception of San Francisco and O’Hare. Reagan National is a close second behind BNA. I’ve flown out of Birmingham and Knoxville as well but those are not a fair comparisons. Flying out of those two towns is like flying out of Nashville in the 1980’s.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:19 AM

124 posts, read 103,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
I suggest you use the cell phone lot, which is exactly why it's set up. If everyone did that, the arrivals pickup lanes would be much better.
This is what I typically do, although that tiny little cell phone lot is a circus in itself. It's way too small to handle BNA volume. I typically have to wait in a line of cars just to enter, then navigate into a cherished empty spot within the single lane of parking. Not to mention that single row is fenced in on both sides, creating quite the jam when folks can't find a spot and have to turn around amidst others attempting to come and go.

Not sure if expanding the lot is part of the improvement plan, but I sure hope so. And I absolutely agree with the advice, but if everyone tried pulling into that lot there might be a backup all the way to I-40!

Old 04-23-2022, 02:01 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I still wish there was a short term parking option that didn't cost $22. And I miss the Express Park option that was off property. It felt way more secure and better lit than the Economy Lots. All three lots that are close to the terminal are showing less than 10% - two less than 3%. And it's not even summer. I miss the big window at the Starbucks where you could have a coffee, wait for your loved ones, and see them through the glass. Heck, I miss Starbucks! I used to like flying home to BNA. Not so much anymore . . . but I often find that 'improvements' aren't necessarily a good thing in a lot of instances. Like the electronic boards they put into some McDonalds to order by . . . or the Kindle Paperwhite . . .

Old 04-24-2022, 09:42 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I still wish there was a short term parking option that didn't cost $22. And I miss the Express Park option that was off property. It felt way more secure and better lit than the Economy Lots. All three lots that are close to the terminal are showing less than 10% - two less than 3%. And it's not even summer. I miss the big window at the Starbucks where you could have a coffee, wait for your loved ones, and see them through the glass. Heck, I miss Starbucks! I used to like flying home to BNA. Not so much anymore . . . but I often find that 'improvements' aren't necessarily a good thing in a lot of instances. Like the electronic boards they put into some McDonalds to order by . . . or the Kindle Paperwhite . . .
I flew out this weekend. It was crowded. Hardly any parking available on Thursday afternoon. They also need to expand the AA lounge it was standing room only which defeats the purpose of a lounge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville