Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 08:32 AM

1,174 posts, read 550,493 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Looking for some advice north of Nash? Family is thinking of moving from MN to middle Tennessee in two/three years (job transfer). I prefer the northern part of Nashville , I will need to travel into Louisville KY few times/mo . So avoiding Franklin area will be advised , also can’t quite swallow those home prices . Same with mount Juliet , don’t get much for the $$$ . I prefer small town in the country , but with good schools (we have two small kids). Home Budget will be <700k. I have lived in Nashville before and familiar with some areas , but not the north side. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 11:15 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
North of Nashville begins At Goodletsville, Hendersonville, maybe Gallatin up to Springfield and Portland near the KY/TN border.

TDOT is beginning a project to add a 3rd lane to I-65 from Nashville to KY. On the KY side this has been finished. US 31 splits into a E and W route to provide an alternate while construction is in progress.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Portland would be on the top of my list based on your post. Very quick access to I 65 North, schools are pretty good in Portland (Sumner Co overall is good, but Portland/Westmoreland/Bethpage aren't quite as good as the rest of the county as far as scores go). Portland is also cheaper than Hendersonville and other parts of the county and definitely has more of a rural/small town feel. You might also consider looking in the area on Highway 109 between Gallatin and Portland which is quite rural but also close to amenities and pretty good schools.

White House might also be an option...not quite as much of a small town/rural feel as Portland (though I think it still does) but schools are pretty solid in White House (also Sumner County).

As Gwoodle mentioned, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, and Gallatin are worth a look as far as schools go but will likely be more expensive. I think you can still find something in your budget there, but might not be with much land nor rural/small town feel.

Springfield/Ridgetop/Greenbriar might also be worth a look in Robertson County. I'm not sure of the school situation up there these days but I certainly think the small town rural feel is there. All are also not too far from I 65 north.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Portland would be on the top of my list based on your post. Very quick access to I 65 North, schools are pretty good in Portland (Sumner Co overall is good, but Portland/Westmoreland/Bethpage aren't quite as good as the rest of the county as far as scores go). Portland is also cheaper than Hendersonville and other parts of the county and definitely has more of a rural/small town feel. You might also consider looking in the area on Highway 109 between Gallatin and Portland which is quite rural but also close to amenities and pretty good schools.

White House might also be an option...not quite as much of a small town/rural feel as Portland (though I think it still does) but schools are pretty solid in White House (also Sumner County).

As Gwoodle mentioned, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, and Gallatin are worth a look as far as schools go but will likely be more expensive. I think you can still find something in your budget there, but might not be with much land nor rural/small town feel.

Springfield/Ridgetop/Greenbriar might also be worth a look in Robertson County. I'm not sure of the school situation up there these days but I certainly think the small town rural feel is there. All are also not too far from I 65 north.
Thanks. I’ll check out Portland. My wife is more of a suburban girl and loves Nashville/Franklin , while I prefer rural . I guess that the mix I’m trying to connect. I’m sure things will change 100 times before move in couple of years. But for now I prefer the north side of things. Though Mt Juliet isn’t out of the question . It’s just home prices seem high just because it’s trendy like Franklin ?

Old 03-30-2022, 02:12 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Long Hollow Pike between Hendersonville and Gallatin. It's still semi-rural and you won't have to get in the mess with I-65 construction. Plus, it's a sure bet with future investment w.r.t. the direction of development. Main thing, is schools in Portland and Gallatin are not good. Station Camp and Beech H.S. is about as good as you're going to get in a public school in Sumner County. Hendersonville is the best, but Beech and Station Camp are not bad. Plus if you decide to go the private school route, you're not impossibly far from some good private schools.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Long Hollow Pike between Hendersonville and Gallatin. It's still semi-rural and you won't have to get in the mess with I-65 construction. Plus, it's a sure bet with future investment w.r.t. the direction of development. Main thing, is schools in Portland and Gallatin are not good. Station Camp and Beech H.S. is about as good as you're going to get in a public school in Sumner County. Hendersonville is the best, but Beech and Station Camp are not bad. Plus if you decide to go the private school route, you're not impossibly far from some good private schools.
Thanks. I’m getting the impression that I can’t stray to far from the metro to have top notch schooling ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville