Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable story! Evidently a 911 Operator in Nashville told a domestic violence caller that he didn't give a bleep what happened to her (the caller). The Operator is no longer employed there but oh my.......! It took the caller phoning the Mayor's office to get a review of the 911 tape it seems.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - 911 Operator: 'I Don't Give a S***t'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 PM

315 posts, read 1,006,067 times
That is awful- I work in a 911 center although it is not police, it is paramedics. If I worked with that person I would personally kick them out on their rear end faster than you can snap your fingers. No one should treat anyone like that, expecially a 911 dispatcher. First off- does the police there not respond lights and sirens to someone who's life is being threatened. Where I work it is priority dispatching which means if a 911 call comes in and we have an ambulance going to a non-emer trans. They get bumped off of it for a higher priority call. This happens all day long. I just am not believing that they would take that long to respond to someone in distress. Someone really needs to check out that center with a fine tooth comb. OK now I am done venting.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Default That stinks!

Am glad to hear he is history.

Appropro of nothing: my brother once tried to get a 911 operator to send help to a major highway accident. She wouldn't send help b/c she didnt know what a cloverleaf interchange was!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 PM

107 posts, read 267,079 times
Ok, I almost cried reading that story!!!

Thats scares me to death to think that something like that could happen. Not to mention, her ex-boyfriend could have killed her by the time they responded to the call. So does this mean that there are certain calls they don't take serious????

We LIVE in a SCARY world and it's sad!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Some personalities are just not the right fit for some jobs. However, if the operator had the slightest telltale sign that he was about to lose it, he should have resigned immediately. There is no excuse for what he did.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM

231 posts, read 869,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Am glad to hear he is history.

Appropro of nothing: my brother once tried to get a 911 operator to send help to a major highway accident. She wouldn't send help b/c she didnt know what a cloverleaf interchange was!
I was traveling I-81 in Virginia, vehicle crashed in front of me. I stopped (being a firefighter/EMT), I called 911. I clearly stated "1 vehilce rolled over, in the median of I-81 at mile marker XX. The dispatcher kept asking "north or south bound?". "I said in the median!". I finally just hung up and checked on the occupants (no injuries..)

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,938 times
I am EMD emergency medical dispatcher/EMT in MI and when we get a call for domestic violence. We don't let the crew enter till pd calls us back and tells us it is ok to enter. The safty of the crew is number one. If we don't make sure. the crew enters and it is not safe. Now we have the chance of having more patients the vic,the crew x2, and firefighters x4. The call came in with 1 patient and we have the possability of 7 patients. I don't know about other states. but here fire goes to all our calls. What that dispatcher did was wrong. Dispatchers like that are giving all dispatchers a bad name. We are not all like that.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa2wins2ice View Post
I am EMD emergency medical dispatcher/EMT in MI and when we get a call for domestic violence. We don't let the crew enter till pd calls us back and tells us it is ok to enter. The safty of the crew is number one. If we don't make sure. the crew enters and it is not safe. Now we have the chance of having more patients the vic,the crew x2, and firefighters x4. The call came in with 1 patient and we have the possability of 7 patients. I don't know about other states. but here fire goes to all our calls. What that dispatcher did was wrong. Dispatchers like that are giving all dispatchers a bad name. We are not all like that.
It's the management who is primarily to blame. The Nashville 911 center has had problems for several years (moral was almost nonexistent). The person in charge was basically incompetent in that position and since she left they haven't been able to get the right person in to fix things, or else they haven't had enough time to do so. It should never have been allowed to go on for so long.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 AM

290 posts, read 1,053,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa2wins2ice View Post
I think the Nashville Police, EMTs and Fire Dept. follow the same procedure. I had a neighbor threatening suicide a few months ago. His girlfriend called the non-emergency police number, asking if it was dangerous for her boyfriend to be taking a large amount of his psychotic medication. Sensing a domestic situation, the non-emergency operator dispatched the Police, Fire Dept. and EMTs. The Fire Dept. and EMTs parked a couple of houses down the street, and waited for the Police to give them the all clear before proceeding to the scene. I looked out my front window and saw a police car in my driveway and two in front of the house. I wondered to myself if I had run over someone on the way home and not noticed it You know how we Nashville drivers are!

I commend all Police, Fire Dept Personnel and EMTs for the difficult, dangerous jobs they do to keep us safe.

I am sure this 911 operator is just a very small minority of problem personnel and, fortunately was dismissed from his job. I have made two calls to the 911 Center over the years and was treated very respectfully by the Nashville 911 Personnel. One time, I found a former girlfriend who attempted suicide in her apartment. The EMTs, Fire Dept. and Police were there within a couple of minutes. The other time involved a small child locked in a car, with the keys in the ignition, at a fast food place near my work location. The child, about three years old, was sick, chocking and the Mother began panicking. I called 911 on my cell phone and the EMTs, Fire Dept. and Police were there very quickly. I was told to stay on the line to give continuous updates, which I assume were relayed to the EMTs in route. I was about ready to break out a window myself to get to the child. Fortunately the Police Officers were able to unlock the door using one of those "Slim Jim" tools and the EMTs took care of the child.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 AM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
This was just some idiot operator not representative of the Nashville 911 system as a whole(I'm sure most of the operators to care somewhat)...the take away from this story is that you can't rely on the police (or government) to protect you...I've heard so many stories of women getting killed even when a restraining "protective" order is taken out against the bad guy...she should have had a gun to protect herself and when the guy came around put it to good use and get rid of the scumbag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville