Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Five Points: A Safe Place to Raise a Family?
Yes 31 55.36%
No 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM

597 posts, read 2,101,287 times

Advertisements

I've watched the Riverside Village complex go through many transformations over the past few decades. After working at the Riverside Pharmacy from 1969-1971 when the area still had a small grocery, dry cleaners, hair salon, barber shop, 5&10, privately owned gas station (full service), I was distressed to see what had happened to the area in the years I lived on the West side. Since moving back to Inglewood 10 years ago, I'm personally thrilled to see who my new neighbors are. The entire area is becoming just the place I want to be. As I was telling my mom who lives on the same street I do, "I think I know more people on this street now and when I was growing up." My street is a half-mile long and over the course of a short time, I know fully half of the folks on my street...and many on the street behind my backyard. The problem with that is visitation often digs into my yard projects, but we all float from house to house all the time...more yard to yard. Sometimes I can't believe the connections we've all made. I would have never dreamed of such a place... and to think this is where I started. I think I might just want to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM

933 posts, read 2,732,310 times
IngleDave, do you know the staus of the Briley-Gallatin Streetscape project? Is this still planned despite the Home Depot going in?

Briley-Gallatin Landscaping (http://inglewoodrna.org/Briley-Gallatin.html - broken link)

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,778 times
I just moved to inglewood. I grew up in brentwood, went to college, traveled around Us and lived in Hawaii for about 5 yrs.. I since moved back to Nashville, and never thought I would enjoy Nashville again. Inglewood has been the best blessing for me. Nashville has never been more inviting and yet " real " to me til now. I believe the other areas of town are nicer. 21st ave, belmont, west Nashville, south, etc. Though the people are not. If you want diversity in NAshville, non-judgemental, people acting with real emotion and something different than the cookie cutter Trumans world life then east nashville is for you. Other wise live in Brentwood, go to the crowded Y, and compete with who has the most debt.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,826 times
This has been a really helpful forum. We are also looking at EN and thinking about raising a family there Main priorities for us are safety, schools, and walkability, pretty much in that order. Public transit would be nice. It sounds from what people are saying like the options are EN or the blahs of suburbia. Is there an in-between? Any other walkable neighborhoods fitting IngleDave's idyllic description that we should check out in our search?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM

597 posts, read 2,101,287 times
No, Yank, funding is happening currently to help secure some type of grant. Home Depot, which, by the way, is just looooooooovely...with all the landscape and all brick construction opens July 3. The roadways have been reworked and things look good.

Check out this Inglewood site. I found this. Seems the "pretty" made the cut and the not so pretty did not (I'm in the middle, thank you very much...and have more elaborate landscaping, lol). Anyway, for what it's worth, this site IS home.

Welcome to Historic Inglewood

And once again, check out the proximity to downtown...means Five Points and all that surrounds it is evern closer.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM

933 posts, read 2,732,310 times
Thanks IngleDave. Didn't know about that website. Nicely done.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 16,946 times
Default Inglewood

Try Old Hickory Village

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

87 posts, read 291,120 times
Default diversity in the suburbs

Maybe the shiny new suburbs in Williamson county are too white, but i moved into a new house in Bellevue about 10 years ago (Nashville has only gotten MORE diverse since then) and in my little neighborhood of 40 houses there was a black family, 2 chinese families, 2 indian families, 3 multi-generational families, one single woman, a Kurdish family, three lebanese families and overall it was 25% Jewish. I really liked that aspect of that neighborhood. All the suburbs may have been white 25 years ago, and they may still be in Williamson County, because Williamson county is still overwhelmingly white, but all shiny new suburbs are not "white bread" as i like to call it. Now, the housing stock is white bread, and if you want to rule it out on those grounds, i can't argue with you, but my little neighborhood in suburban bellevue was NOT lacking diversity.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,005,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Maybe the shiny new suburbs in Williamson county are too white, but i moved into a new house in Bellevue about 10 years ago (Nashville has only gotten MORE diverse since then) and in my little neighborhood of 40 houses there was a black family, 2 chinese families, 2 indian families, 3 multi-generational families, one single woman, a Kurdish family, three lebanese families and overall it was 25% Jewish. I really liked that aspect of that neighborhood. All the suburbs may have been white 25 years ago, and they may still be in Williamson County, because Williamson county is still overwhelmingly white, but all shiny new suburbs are not "white bread" as i like to call it. Now, the housing stock is white bread, and if you want to rule it out on those grounds, i can't argue with you, but my little neighborhood in suburban bellevue was NOT lacking diversity.
Wow. Imagine the firestorm that would ignite on here if someone discussed a black or Hispanic neighborhood with the same contempt with which you talk about white neighborhoods.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 AM

17 posts, read 58,168 times
If i wanted to live in an urban area, i would actually live in an urban city ex. new york, atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville