Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:59 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,025,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulalula View Post
Not according to the bag. It rinses down into the ground below the surface. We have a ton of birds around here and have not seen any decrease in them. My husband is a bird freak so I don't think he would have risked that.

I have moved that sonic thing around to different areas of the yard and that seems to really help too.
I might give it a try then. My thought was that the birds would go after the grubs and be poisoned.
Thanks for the info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 PM

450 posts, read 1,498,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post
Could it be a wood chuck? My brother inlaw shot one a couple weeks ago when we visited NY. It was digging holes and burrows in the ground.
It is not a wood chuck. It is a Mole...

You all have giving me some good ideas... That vibrating thing? How does it gets its power and what kind of range does it have?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM

100 posts, read 351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
It is not a wood chuck. It is a Mole...

You all have giving me some good ideas... That vibrating thing? How does it gets its power and what kind of range does it have?
It took 2 D cell batteries and the box said it should last about 2 years. There is a small red light on top so you know it still has power. I had it close to the patio and could hear it shake every now and again. It says it has a range of 30 feet. You shove it into the ground and it is supposed to have a low enough profile that you won't hit it with a mower. We have ours in the flower beds though so I have not tested that part.

We put the granuals on one side of the house and have moved that thing around on the other side just to see what was most effective. Both have seemed to work equally as well. We are planning on getting more of the vibrating things as they will last longer and are a more natural solution. They cost more up front but should be cheaper in the long run.

It is green and made by Exhart. The box and device has a picture of a cute little cartoon mole with a red circle and slash on him. You can get them at Home Depot next to the lawn bug spray bottles--you know the big ones you attach to a water hose.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,498,833 times
I have moles in my yard too. This dog will pluck them right out of their tunnel. Wanna hire him?

Ok I have to share a mole story. My dog loves to hunt for moles, but I don't let him kill them. After all, if we rid the yard of moles, he wouldn't have anything to hunt for, and he lives to hunt moles!

The last mole he caught was the biggest, fattest, ugliest mole I have ever seen. After he plucked it out of the ground, I told him to release it, and he did. The mole was just lying there, like it was dead. So I went in the house and put 3 plastic grocery bags inside each other, to dispose of the body. I came back out and it was still "dead", so I picked it up with my hand in the bags. Well....it wasn't dead. That ugly thing started screaming bloody murder and bit me right through the bags. I screamed and dropped it and it went straight back into the hole. I won't be doing that again.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,025,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I have moles in my yard too. This dog will pluck them right out of their tunnel. Wanna hire him?

Ok I have to share a mole story. My dog loves to hunt for moles, but I don't let him kill them. After all, if we rid the yard of moles, he wouldn't have anything to hunt for, and he lives to hunt moles!

The last mole he caught was the biggest, fattest, ugliest mole I have ever seen. After he plucked it out of the ground, I told him to release it, and he did. The mole was just lying there, like it was dead. So I went in the house and put 3 plastic grocery bags inside each other, to dispose of the body. I came back out and it was still "dead", so I picked it up with my hand in the bags. Well....it wasn't dead. That ugly thing started screaming bloody murder and bit me right through the bags. I screamed and dropped it and it went straight back into the hole. I won't be doing that again.
Sounds like he was related to an opossum....

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM

450 posts, read 1,498,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulalula View Post
It took 2 D cell batteries and the box said it should last about 2 years. There is a small red light on top so you know it still has power. I had it close to the patio and could hear it shake every now and again. It says it has a range of 30 feet. You shove it into the ground and it is supposed to have a low enough profile that you won't hit it with a mower. We have ours in the flower beds though so I have not tested that part.

We put the granuals on one side of the house and have moved that thing around on the other side just to see what was most effective. Both have seemed to work equally as well. We are planning on getting more of the vibrating things as they will last longer and are a more natural solution. They cost more up front but should be cheaper in the long run.

It is green and made by Exhart. The box and device has a picture of a cute little cartoon mole with a red circle and slash on him. You can get them at Home Depot next to the lawn bug spray bottles--you know the big ones you attach to a water hose.

Hope that helps.
Heck yeah that helps... I am gonna get one or two today... After last nights storm the ground should be nice a soft...

If it bit you I would think about getting a shot. Who knows what that little bugger had in his mouth

Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
Quote:

You have a gorgeous dog there. Pretty and smart, what more can you ask for?

Old 06-01-2008, 06:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,577,073 times
Yes, it's obviously a mole. I've done alot of reading about them because I have them too and there's only one effective method in dealing with them and that is a trap. I've killed three moles and the damage seems to have stopped. There are on average only three moles on an acre of land. A single mole can dig about fifteen feet in an hour and cause alot of damage. It might look like you must have dozens of them but you don't. It's best to try to trap them in the spring or fall because in the summer and winter they dig deeper and are much more difficult to kill. I have just over a third of an acre so I think I've gotten the moles that were in my yard as well as my neighbor's yard. I loaned my neighbor three of my traps and I don't think he's gotten any and that's because I believe that I've killed off the moles that were doing all of the damage. I had five traps set at one time and within a week I had killed the three moles. That was last month and even though I have the traps set I haven't killed any more of them so I think I've taken care of the problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM

100 posts, read 351,112 times
Default What a story

Quote:

Oh my goodness!! Not to laugh at your pain but that story was classic!! If someone was videoing that you could have won some money with that one.

You get rep points for sharing that one. I was kinda grouchy most of today but that made me laugh.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:44 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,498,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You have a gorgeous dog there. Pretty and smart, what more can you ask for?
Thanks! He's quite a character. The light of my life, and the best dog I've ever had.

Quote:
Oh my goodness!! Not to laugh at your pain but that story was classic!! If someone was videoing that you could have won some money with that one.

You get rep points for sharing that one. I was kinda grouchy most of today but that made me laugh.
Thanks for the rep points! Glad I could make you laugh.

The sad thing is, my security cameras were running at the time, so I had it all on tape, but I'm so used to just rewinding the tapes every night without viewing them unless someone's been messing around my property, so it didn't even dawn on me that I had this on tape, until it was way too late. I totally forget about the security cameras being there while I'm doing things outside. Oops! Wow, I sure was having a dumb day that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville