Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM

813 posts, read 2,023,111 times

Advertisements

TMI!

I didn't expect the giant pictures. I almost wet myself at my work desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 AM

150 posts, read 617,969 times
Default House Centipedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
House centipedes may unnerve some folks due to their size, speed, and nocturnal hunting habits, but they're very beneficial as they prey on many household pests like earwigs, silverfish, and cockroaches. Interestingly, they're also quite long-lived (up to six years) so feel free to name yours.
Thanks for the information. House centipedes do indeed creep me out and I have usually killed them in the past (and I'm one of those people that carries most insects and spiders outside and set them free). I think I'll give the next one a chance based on those feeding habits.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,498,520 times
OMG I totally forgot about centipedes. I'm terrified of them. I have a bad problem with them about twice a year, spring and fall. I wonder if it's because of the trees that hang over the house. I won't even sit in the living room anymore when the power goes off at night, because for some reason whenever we have a power outage, those nasty things get on the ceiling beams and then drop down on the couch (or on whomever happens to be sitting on the couch). I don't know why they do this when there's a power outage, but it never fails. My dad didn't believe me, until he was visiting and was lying on the couch during a power outage and one dropped on him. Freaked him out good, LOL!

I also have a fear of spiders, and those jumping spiders are scary. Out here in the country we have a black jumping spider that is aggressive towards humans. It's not poisonous, but unlike other bugs who would rather run from a human, this spider will run or jump straight at you like it wants to attack. If you walk away from it, it will follow you. Oh I hate those spiders. I know they're harmless, but I prefer spiders who run from humans, not at them!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,328,873 times
That brown Wolf spider is just gross looking. There are harmless for sure? I have always been able to pick up snakes, but spiders send all rational thought out of my head. I freak when I see a spider.
Pam

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

597 posts, read 2,100,785 times
Guess I had my colors reversed on the b.r., but that's what they look like. I'd like to have a 4-ft wolf spider. That'd be better than my ADT sign in the front yard.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM

256 posts, read 885,523 times
yea I dont want to see either of those spiders...This spider was black that I seen

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,498,520 times
I had a wolf spider in my first apartment in Nashville. That thing was huge! I didn't have furniture yet, so my stuff was stacked on the floor. The spider made a lot of noise crawling through my stuff. I slept in the living room until my BF killed it.

I lived in a duplex in Nashville that was right next to the woods, and we had huge spiders there too. I don't recall what color they were. Might have been wolf spiders, maybe not, but they were very big. They would build webs that spanned from the roof down to the steps, covering my only entrance door. I hated coming home after dark, because there was no way to knock them down without the possibiliy of one falling on me. I spent many a night sleeping in my car because I was too scared to get near the door.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,328,873 times
[quote=tnp;4007813]I had a wolf spider in my first apartment in Nashville. That thing was huge! I didn't have furniture yet, so my stuff was stacked on the floor. The spider made a lot of noise crawling through my stuff. I slept in the living room until my BF killed it.

I lived in a duplex in Nashville that was right next to the woods, and we had huge spiders there too. I don't recall what color they were. Might have been wolf spiders, maybe not, but they were very big. They would build webs that spanned from the roof down to the steps, covering my only entrance door. I hated coming home after dark, because there was no way to knock them down without the possibiliy of one falling on me. I spent many a night sleeping in my car because I was too scared to get near the door.

/QUOTE]
I would have slept in my car too, if I knocked one down on me, I would have moved. Spiders of the average small size variety are enough to freak me out, if I saw a wolf spider that looked big like some mutant being, I would freak.
Pam

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM

39 posts, read 140,388 times
OK, this thread has freaked me out a bit with my morning coffee. We just closed on our house down there and my husband has already seen a black widow spider in our yard. Can we spray the house to keep them away? Do having cats help at all?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 AM

153 posts, read 687,711 times
I don't know if cats necessarily help. We've never had much of a spider problem here, though we do get big black oily looking creepy crawlies, and one of our cats loves to catch them. He just catches them and leaves them in his water dish, though whether that's helping is up for interpretation. Our other cat never pays any attention to bugs. We've also never sprayed for anything, for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville