Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I'm actually taking my first mba class now since I'm taking the summer "off" but I think it is much more important to get some experience in the industry before I run off and get another degree.
My concentration was in Advertising, but the only jobs I could find in marketing was sales-based (and I really like the "behind the scenes" part which is very hard to get into). So, as a result, my next favorite part of my education was finance. So, that screws me over a bit; but, my college adviser assured me that people wouldn't care since there is only a 4 class difference between my degree and a finance degree. Don't know how true that is but I guess we will see.
Sorry, but your adviser was a moron. That 4 class difference was 4 300-level marketing classes versus 4 300-level finance classes. That's like saying, "Well you took a couple basic accounting classes along with your English degree. You shouldn't have a problem landing that job at a public accounting firm as an auditor."

My understanding of moving up in marketing is you have to put in your time as a grunt to do the good work. This is basically what you will find in the world of finance, especially given you don't have a finance background. Good luck pursuing your MBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM

107 posts, read 267,238 times
Quote:
I'm about to graduate with a degree in business and I have found careerbuilder to be completely useless for finding decent jobs.
I know of Caterpillar, Dollar General, Kirklands, Cracker Barrel, Hospital things that are irrelevant, what else is there?

Hi Coach_B- I am no help when it comes to any corporate businesses in Nashville but I will tell you that Careerbuilder is USELESS! Before I even moved here I applied to many jobs and then when I was finally here, I applied to many more. I didn't get one call back. I am perfectly qualified for jobs and have been in the banking field for 12 years. My friend is also thinking of moving out of state and has applied on there too with no luck. I have heard that they never update their sites and never check them. I am not sure though what the problem is with careerbuilder but I will never use them. It's better to go to the company itself or go through a recruiting agency.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I have an MBA and work in healthcare (along with a MS and healthcare degrees). I would absolutely recommend an MBA for healthcare. The health profession is high touch but it is also high finance and business. We have a whole group of folks that have never laid hands on a patient that work in healthcare with their business, marketing, etc. degrees. We have Professional Chefs, former tv news anchors doing PR, statistical folks as analysts, IS people, etc. The sky is the limit with a healthcare organization and Nashville is chock full of them! Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,704 times
If you are getting your MBA from a reputable school (i.e. Vanderbilt), you have nothing to worry about. An MBA gives you the general management and business skills needed to lead an organization. Your major or concentration will not play an integral role in attaining a job. It's like getting a liberal arts education from a Top 20 school. You can do anything you want.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM

84 posts, read 491,840 times
Try a site called indeed.com, it bunches all of the job searching sites together in one spot, very helpful.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 AM

247 posts, read 751,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRRB2008 View Post
Hi Coach_B- I am no help when it comes to any corporate businesses in Nashville but I will tell you that Careerbuilder is USELESS! Before I even moved here I applied to many jobs and then when I was finally here, I applied to many more. I didn't get one call back. I am perfectly qualified for jobs and have been in the banking field for 12 years. My friend is also thinking of moving out of state and has applied on there too with no luck. I have heard that they never update their sites and never check them. I am not sure though what the problem is with careerbuilder but I will never use them. It's better to go to the company itself or go through a recruiting agency.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
anyone know of recruiting agencies? It's so hard to get started in a place that you don't live in or know anyone

Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
I think if you do a search on this forum you'll find some "recruiter threads".

Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
if you are looking for finance try robert half. They specialize in finance, accounting, etc. You may find temp work through them too. Most recruiters don't work with people just out of school though, they want experienced professionals.

And consider health care. There are so many healthcare companies here in Nashville.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 43,213 times
Default Recruiter

Quote:
I'm about to graduate with a degree in business and I have found careerbuilder to be completely useless for finding decent jobs.
I know of Caterpillar, Dollar General, Kirklands, Cracker Barrel, Hospital things that are irrelevant, what else is there?

Hello! I read this thread and wanted to see if you had any luck finding a position? I am a Recruiter and I would be willing to try and assist you in your search. Do you have a resume?

I read a few responses and I do think you will be able to land a good job with a BA in business . Im sorry you werent having luck with Career Builder. Have you tried other sites? Like Monster, Hotjobs, Indeed, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicar19 View Post
Hello! I read this thread and wanted to see if you had any luck finding a position? I am a Recruiter and I would be willing to try and assist you in your search. Do you have a resume?

I read a few responses and I do think you will be able to land a good job with a BA in business . Im sorry you werent having luck with Career Builder. Have you tried other sites? Like Monster, Hotjobs, Indeed, etc.
No I didn't. I actually had to expand my search to other states as a result.
What is the name of your recruiting business? I'd love to give you a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville