Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 17,677 times

Advertisements

Will be making this trip in a couple weeks, what is the most scenic drive through the mountains? Maybe hitting some of the higher elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstask View Post
Will be making this trip in a couple weeks, what is the most scenic drive through the mountains? Maybe hitting some of the higher elevations.
Nashville isn't anywhere near the mountains, which I'm sure you've noticed as you looked at your road map.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't any beautiful drives as you head east out of Nashville.

Heading east on I-40, take exit 258 in Gordonsville. It's also the Carthage exit. Head south after you get off the interstate and take state Hwy 141 heading east. It goes through some beautiful valleys and hugs the Caney Fork River in certain spots. Hwy 141 will wind its way through the valley and eventually end at state Hwy 96 on top of Center Hill Lake. Turn left onto Hwy 96, driving across Center Hill Dam.

Center Hill Dam:

Stay on Hwy 141, which will split to the right from Hwy 96 after you've crossed the dam. Hwy 141 will twist its way up the plateau, through deep valleys and across narrow ridges until you get to Silver Point. At Hwy 56 I suggest getting back onto I-40 because it's fairly flat at that point.

When you arrive at Cookeville, you might want to take Exit 286 (Willow Ave) and head south a couple of miles to stretch your legs and visit Burgess Falls. It's about a 1/2-mile hike to see the falls.

Burgess Falls:

On the other side of Cookeville take Exit 290. At the exit turn right onto US Hwy 70N. It'll take you through a very beautiful valley and then wind its way up to the upper portion of the Cumberland Plateau.

At Monterey I'd get back on I-40 since you're now on the plateau and it's relatively flat again.

At Crab Orchard, get off I-40 at Exit 329. Turn left, heading back over the interstate until you get to US Hwy 70. Turn right. This will wind and twist its way back down the plateau. You'll also pass Ozone Falls which is right on the highway and is worth a stop to stretch your legs and see the falls.

Ozone Falls:

http://www.sitemason.com/files/lrEugo/ozonefalls.JPG/main.jpg (broken link)

At the bottom of the mountain, Hwy 70 merges with US Hwy 27. Turn left onto Hwy 27 and go through Rockwood. When Hwy 27 hits I-40, I'd take I-40 again.

From there, stick to I-40. On the other side of Knoxville I-40 heads through the Smoky Mountains and is absolutely spectacular. It's gotta be one of the most beautiful stretches of interstate in the country.

Have fun!

Last edited by JMT; 06-12-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville isn't anywhere near the mountains, which I'm sure you've noticed as you looked at your road map.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't any beautiful drives as you head east out of Nashville.

Heading east on I-40, take exit 258 in Gordonsville. It's also the Carthage exit. Head south after you get off the interstate and take state Hwy 141 heading east. It goes through some beautiful valleys and hugs the Caney Fork River in certain spots. Hwy 141 will wind its way through the valley and eventually end at state Hwy 96 on top of Center Hill Lake. Turn left onto Hwy 96, driving across Center Hill Dam.

Center Hill Dam:

Stay on Hwy 141, which will split to the right from Hwy 96 after you've crossed the dam. Hwy 141 will twist its way up the plateau, through deep valleys and across narrow ridges until you get to Silver Point. At Hwy 56 I suggest getting back onto I-40 because it's fairly flat at that point.

When you arrive at Cookeville, you might want to take Exit 286 (Willow Ave) and head south a couple of miles to stretch your legs and visit Burgess Falls. It's about a 1/2-mile hike to see the falls.

Burgess Falls:

On the other side of Cookeville take Exit 290. At the exit turn right onto US Hwy 70N. It'll take you through a very beautiful valley and then wind its way up to the upper portion of the Cumberland Plateau.

At Monterey I'd get back on I-40 since you're now on the plateau and it's relatively flat again.

At Crab Orchard, get off I-40 at Exit 329. Turn left, heading back over the interstate until you get to US Hwy 70. Turn right. This will wind and twist its way back down the plateau. You'll also pass Ozone Falls which is right on the highway and is worth a stop to stretch your legs and see the falls.

Ozone Falls:

http://www.sitemason.com/files/lrEugo/ozonefalls.JPG/main.jpg (broken link)

At the bottom of the mountain, Hwy 70 merges with US Hwy 27. Turn left onto Hwy 27 and go through Rockwood. When Hwy 27 hits I-40, I'd take I-40 again.

From there, stick to I-40. On the other side of Knoxville I-40 heads through the Smoky Mountains and is absolutely spectacular. It's gotta be one of the most beautiful stretches of interstate in the country.

Have fun!

JMT... That was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
This is one I've done before. Mind you, if you're doing this on a summer weekend, there will be plenty of traffic keeping you company, making it an even bigger time-killer than it already is. But if you want to get from west of Knoxville almost to Charlotte without touching an interstate and getting into some elevation, read on:

* When nearing the junction with I-75 west of Knoxville, pick up US 321 and head east/south. You'll go through Maryville on your way to Townsend.

* From Townsend, you have your choice of staying on 321 and heading into Pigeon Forge, where you'll pick up US 441 and fight your way south, or you can take the bypass that cuts the corner and puts you on 441 south of Gatlinburg. As you know, 441 is the main route through the Smokies and will likely be crowded, but it's a good drive when you can take your eyes off the car in front of you.

* Nearing Cherokee on 441, you'll hit the terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hop on that and follow it all the way to Asheville. Alternatively, stay on 441 into Cherokee and pick up US 19 and head east; you'll run into I-40 west of Asheville.

* Whichever way you took, I-40 or the Blue Ridge, keep on it until just east of Asheville. Then take Alt. US 74 east. This will take you through Chimney Rock and Lake Lure.

* Around Forest City, you'll pick up US 74 proper and can follow it east, coming into Charlotte from the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville