Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 16,191 times

Advertisements

I am a single young professional looking to evacuate the rat race that is NYC, I am curious as to whether or not anyone would recommend Nashville over my other two choices, Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC?

Also, is it particularly difficult trying to find a job in the area? Is it better to stay put until I can get an offer & then move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Are you used to using mass transit? because if so you will have a hell of a time in Nashville.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM

140 posts, read 619,059 times
That's true, supernerdgirl, but I don't mass transit in Nashville is worse than Asheville or Greenville, which are the other options.

In what sense do you want these cities compared, mickieroonie? Nashville is a big city (nothing like NYC big, but still relatively large). Greenville is medium-sized. Asheville may be considered meduim-sized as well, but it's on the small end of that spectrum. They're really three very different places. All are very nice, though, in their own ways. What are you looking for?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmill3 View Post
That's true, supernerdgirl, but I don't mass transit in Nashville is worse than Asheville or Greenville, which are the other options.

In what sense do you want these cities compared, mickieroonie? Nashville is a big city (nothing like NYC big, but still relatively large). Greenville is medium-sized. Asheville may be considered meduim-sized as well, but it's on the small end of that spectrum. They're really three very different places. All are very nice, though, in their own ways. What are you looking for?
I only mentioned Nashville because I'm unfamiliar with the other two.
I wouldn't want to make assumptions about cities I haven't spent much time in.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
It's an exciting time here in Nashville. Come join the new Urban movement and move downtown, East Nashville or North Nashville and you won't need mass transit as much. Plus you will still be close to many outdoor amenities middle Tn has to offer. Ashville is beautiful, but too many fake trust fund hippies and a waaay inflated real estate market (Like all of western NC now). A friend of mine that has lived there for 4 years is the real deal (bee keeper, [SIZE=2]horticulturist, [/SIZE]doesn't own a TV, was Green when gas was under a $1.00 a gallon and Ed Begley was still an actor) and he is ready to move back to Chattanooga where he's from. According to him, there just isn't a lot of real career making job opportunities to pursue. But it is a fun city if you already have a fat bank account or have a stream of income coming in and want to postpone starting a real career. Lot's of outdoor activities to be found. Not sure of your particular situation so you may already have an decent opportunity there. As for Greenville, SC, can't really comment because I am not too familiar with the scene there. Here's a forum/website you might want peruse posts from dedicated Nashvillians who are interested in the further devolpment of downtown/urban areas of Nashville .

Nashville Charrette -> Nashville

Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 118,904 times
If you are a single young professional, why would you want to leave NYC? Even with the rat race, I think NYC is a great place for single professional. What is your reason of moving? I just moves from NYC to Nashville this year. I know my reason and Nashville is working out for me so far. Since the job market is not the strongest, I recommend you to find a job before you pack up and move. It's not going to be easy to find a job from far, but it's possible; I did it. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
Have you considered Chattanooga? I worked in downtown Nashville for a year, and finally found an acceptable apt. fairly close in (near Vanderbilt). Nashville rents were more expensive than I expected. But, that may have changed. Condos were being built like crazy when I was there, and the mortgage crisis may have cooled the sky-rocketing prices a bit; I don't know. Just be prepared for high rents for small spaces unless you live well outside the beltways. Having moved from LA, I didn't want to drive; Nashville traffic is already bad enough. Tennessee is a beautiful state, but I don't miss Nashville. We moved to Sewanee, about 60 west of Chattanooga, which would be my first choice if I were going to live in a city. Chatt. has done some smart land use planning, especially along the Tennessee River, which runs through the heart of downtown.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM

9 posts, read 36,251 times
I might be biased, but I would suggest Nashville. Its a great mid sized city with a great feel to it. Lots of businesses are popping up.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 16,191 times
i hate mass transit and can not wait to own a car again so something tells me i won't be liked much by the green folk of asheville

someone had replied privately earlier to this post and informed me of key info regarding my three choices, i used that info to decide to focus my efforts on nashville, simply put i was told that nashville is large enough to absorb the culture shock but slow enough to get out of the rat race (pace) that is nyc

however, i do not plan to relo any time soon, my job in ny will hold me here for at least 1-2 more years - hoping by then the economy will start to turn around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville