Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,489 times

Advertisements

It seems that a lot of the theories and ideas behind the the "new urbansim" movement is coming to fruition in Nashville. Do you agree? Just look at how the suburban sprawl in Nashville has led to the deterioriation of many neighborhoods (i.e. Antioch). And, it seems like there is a revitalization and growth of the downtown / core area of Nashville. It appears to also be the case in other metropolitan areas around the country.

Read the following interesting articles:

Is America's suburban dream collapsing into a nightmare? - CNN.com

America's suburbs | An age of transformation | Economist.com

Here is an excerpt:

"The so-called McMansion, will become the new multi-family home for the poor. What is going to happen is lower and lower-middle income families squeezed out of downtown and glamorous suburban locations are going to be pushed economically into these McMansions at the suburban fringe," said Nelson. "There will probably be 10 people living in one house."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
I've seen and worked on houses in East Nashville around Eastland that were in some pretty poor neighborhoods to say it nicely. Those houses by all rights should have sold for less then 100k. However, they are going for roughly 300k-400k and people are buying them !

How can someone buy a 1,200-1,600 sqft house for 400k in a horrible neighborhood where people are robbed, murdered, raped, ect, ect when they have the option to buy a house in Brentwood or better yet, a house on the lake in Hendersonville for 100k cheaper with triple the square footage ?!?!?

amazing.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:09 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Read this. I'll have to agree that many kids out of college now don't include the suburbs as part of their "American Dream" now adays like we did when I graduated in 92. Their still is a huge draw to live in the burbs (as evidenced by their popularity on this forum) the biggest probably being the perception of it's a safe place to raise a family and better schools. However if the urban movement trend continues and strenghthens, would it not as a result draw better teachers along with the middle/upper class children who's parents live/moved closer to the core? No offence to anyone on this board or where they live, but I tend to agree that Antioch might be the first victim (like you said), not necessarily of the urban movement but of the sprawl effect. Since I moved from Bellevue three years ago I have heard that more section 8 housing is opening up there, not that it still isn't a safe neighborhood now. But I could see that area take a possible downturn as a result of the Urban movement and/or high energy prices. Although I know there are other companies/employment nearby, if Saturn ever went under, I shudder what to think what might happen to Smyrna. Again no offence to anyone here just my opinion...

Last edited by yank283; 06-24-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
if Saturn ever went under, I shudder what to think what might happen to Smyrna. Again no offence to anyone here just my opinion...
Nissan is in Smyrna, Saturn is in Spring Hill, I could only imagine what would happen to Spring Hill is Saturn went under though...

Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I've seen and worked on houses in East Nashville around Eastland that were in some pretty poor neighborhoods to say it nicely. Those houses by all rights should have sold for less then 100k. However, they are going for roughly 300k-400k and people are buying them !

How can someone buy a 1,200-1,600 sqft house for 400k in a horrible neighborhood where people are robbed, murdered, raped, ect, ect when they have the option to buy a house in Brentwood or better yet, a house on the lake in Hendersonville for 100k cheaper with triple the square footage ?!?!?

amazing.
Wow, I live right near Eastland and I have to dodge bullets everyday <sarcasm>. Most of the crime that you hear about in East Nashville is by people who know each other. So, if you don't deal drugs or are buddies with a felon who's spent 20 years with the state, I believe the chances of being murdered, robbed, or raped go waaaay down. Now if getting your lawn mower swiped once in a blue moon bugs you maybe you should stay in the lily white burbs...I can ride my bike downtown, walk to four restaurants and a coffee shop. I can travel less than a two miles and plop my boat into the Cumberland in beautiful Shelby Park. I guess all those people that were living in the NY City area back in the 70's and 80's were crazy also? Crazy millionaires now. What about all those "urban [SIZE=2]pioneers" that bought the bungalows around Chicago's inner core? Those are some of the nicest neighborhoods in and around that city. Hell, look at the people who bought in Sylvan Park in the mid 1990's? That a great neighborhood now. Go ahead and move to Brentwood, get that 2 or 3 thousand dollar a month mortgage payment and live a life of debt in that rate race....I'll take my slice of East Nashville and my $700 a month mortgage....to each his own though...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Nissan is in Smyrna, Saturn is in Spring Hill, I could only imagine what would happen to Spring Hill is Saturn went under though...
Thanks, correction, Spring Hill...

Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Wow, I live right near Eastland and I have to dodge bullets everyday <sarcasm>. Most of the crime that you hear about in East Nashvile is by pople who know each other. So, if you don't deal drugs or are buddies with a felon who's spent 20 years with the state, I believe the chances of being murdered, robbed, or raped go waaaay down. Now if getting your lawn mower swiped once in a blue moon bugs you maybe you should stay in the lily white burbs...I can ride my bike downtown, walk to four resteraunts and a coffee shop. I can teavel less than a two miles and plop my boat into the Cumberland in beautiful Shelby Park. I guess all those people that were living in the NY City area back in the 70's and 80's were crazy also? there some crazy millionaires now. What about all those "urban [SIZE=2]pioneers" that bought the bugalows around Chicago's inner core? Those are some of the nicest neighbor hoods in and around that city. Hell, look at the people who bought in Sylvan Park in the mid 1990's? That a great neighborhood now. Go ahead and move to Brentwood, get that 2 or 3 thousand dollar a month motgage payment and live a life of debt in tha rate race....I'll take my slice of East Nashville and my $700 a month mortagage....to each his own though...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
I lived in Madison and Inglewood and I'd rather die before I would live in those two towns ever again. Don't sugar coat East Nashville, It's horribly overrun by crime. One of my friends worked in a Payless and was robbed on average of about twice a month and finally quit in fear for her life. I've seen store owners get shot and killed in robberies several times in Madison and once that I can remember back off of Cahal Ave. I remember just recently the guy that tried to rob the liquor store in Inglewood and was shot dead by a customer.

$700 a month ? You must have bought your house several years ago. I've worked on several houses on 16th street off of Eastland Ave and Sharpe Ave and those houses have sold for $350k.

I wouldn't live in Brentwood, Not my style. However, I'd live in Brentwood for $350k before I'd live in Eastland for $350k.

I've had my fill of Nashville to be honest, I'm sick of the crime and crooked police. I'm waiting on my money to be right and I'm gone.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Spring Hill wouldn't die. A lot of people living there now are commuting (insane, I think, but whatever) to Cool Springs and Nashville.

Columbia would be the worst victim of Saturn going down, I would think. Columbia doesn't have very many good paying jobs right now, and if Saturn was gone the people making that money would probably go elsewhere.

Wait, let me add this. Spring Hill may actually be the victim of its own stupidity for revoking its property tax... but that would have nothing to do with Saturn.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I lived in Madison and Inglewood and I'd rather die before I would live in those two towns ever again. Don't sugar coat East Nashville, It's horribly overrun by crime. One of my friends worked in a Payless and was robbed on average of about twice a month and finally quit in fear for her life. I've seen store owners get shot and killed in robberies several times in Madison and once that I can remember back off of Cahal Ave. I remember just recently the guy that tried to rob the liquor store in Inglewood and was shot dead by a customer.

$700 a month ? You must have bought your house several years ago. I've worked on several houses on 16th street off of Eastland Ave and Sharpe Ave and those houses have sold for $350k.

I wouldn't live in Brentwood, Not my style. However, I'd live in Brentwood for $350k before I'd live in Eastland for $350k.

I've had my fill of Nashville to be honest, I'm sick of the crime and crooked police. I'm waiting on my money to be right and I'm gone.

When did you live in Inglewood/Madison? Just curious. Was it pre or post 1997 (Tornado)? Things have been kind of booming since then thanks fror an initial boost from the insurance companies. I guess your aware if you were working on houses.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Hate to tell you this, but there's crime and crooked police in Texas also. I grew up in San Antonio. Also, that whole illegal alien thing that bothers people up here, prepare for it 10x. Not saying Texas isn't a great state (I do miss it sometimes), but those are issues everywhere. You probably had your own bad experiences with it here so it's not my place to comment. I am willing to bet that those homes you fixed up on Eastland that are going for $350K will appreciate a whole lot faster than many in Brentwood (if the theory that the author of the article posted on this thread comes to fruition). I admit, it's not for everyone. You have to have a thick skin sometimes and a kiddingly fatalist attitude doesn't hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville