Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM

118 posts, read 597,638 times

Advertisements

K,

For us it wouldn't be the leaving part that would be so hard, it would be the "now were gone and have to go back" aspect, a "what if", if you will.

I have talked to many clients that have left Ca. for greener pastures only to find they didn't like it and/or couldn't make a decent living. When that happened, they wanted to come back to Ca., but then realized they couldn't afford it.

For me, I can take my business with me and service everything from TN., I'm not so sure I need to invest in employees and a store front to keep my clients here. Your husbands business might be different being that his product/service is a tangible object.

Maybe it would be worth it for him to keep the business here and try and manage it via phones, e-mail, fax etc.. Probably need to spend a little time traveling back every now and again but...

That is what I have thought about doing...how nice would it be to have TN. cost of living with a CA income????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,438 times
Well you don't want to hear what I have to say about "J" aka work. We are 58 and retired we both worked at our jobs for 20yrs and sold our house there and paid off ALL our bills. Yea we have a mortgage here but we are able to make it here with our pensions. There is no way we could have done that in California. Sure we miss "some" people in Calif but we don't miss the state at all.

Everyone warned us about the heat and humidity here in Tenn. but with us coming from the central valley (where it is 110 today) the temps here have not bothered us. Sure we don't work in it either. I would say don't let the weather scare you away. We have not found one person here that has not welcomed us with open arms. (not one). I am sure we will run into someone that does not welcome us but you will find that anywhere.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Personally, I can't think of a more beautiful city than SF. I'd rather have dim sum than just about any other food. I love Tahoe in the winter- best ski hills anywhere.

That said, I love living in TN and don't see us ever leaving. The difference in the economy allows us a quality of life we couldn't have enjoyed in CA. Right now I'm working in a top studio with incredible musicians-both of a caliber I never could have afforded in CA.

I want to echo LeeB's sentiments about being welcomed here. Our neighbors have become our second family.

In other words, I don't have anything bad to say about CA. TN just makes more sense for us.

Hope you find the perfect place for your family too

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM

LeeB,

Everyone I talk to acts like the humidity is gonna make us melt. Thats part of the reason we are heading back there in August. I want to see the worst of the worst.

As you know, our weather in Loomis mirrors your Modesto temps pretty close and your right about our current weather, 110 today, 112 and 111 for Wed. and Thurs..

Humidity or not, I don't think the Devil himself would want to be around here this week.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM

It is the difference between a dry heat and a wet heat.... For me I will take the wet heat... I don't want to lead anyone on about the humidity it is uncomfortable but so is the dry heat.. You learn to adapt. To me the life style here is so much better then California. Like Jed Clampett said years ago Callie-fornia is the place for me... But note that was years ago and times change...

Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM

LeeB,

Have you found any dislikes yet? Glad to hear your move went well, I leave in three weeks and can't wait to experience TN.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMUTCH View Post
LeeB,

Have you found any dislikes yet? Glad to hear your move went well, I leave in three weeks and can't wait to experience TN.
To be honest with you.... NOPE... Yeah there are bugs here but they are in California to. Just different ones here. Like I said earlier I (we) have not run into one person that has no welcomed us with open arms. We live in Portland which is about 25 miles north of Nashville (almost to Kentucky) and we just love it here. We are still looking for a church, and my wife wants to do some volunteer work for the Chamber of Commerce here just to meet people. And me oh heck I get to know people just by yacking with them on the street. We moved here with only one friend in the area and no relatives.. If you want send me a PM and I will give you my phone number and you can call me (us) and ask questions.. (We kept our California cell phone numbers)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
To be honest with you.... NOPE... Yeah there are bugs here but they are in California to. Just different ones here. Like I said earlier I (we) have not run into one person that has no welcomed us with open arms. We live in Portland which is about 25 miles north of Nashville (almost to Kentucky) and we just love it here. We are still looking for a church, and my wife wants to do some volunteer work for the Chamber of Commerce here just to meet people. And me oh heck I get to know people just by yacking with them on the street. We moved here with only one friend in the area and no relatives.. If you want send me a PM and I will give you my phone number and you can call me (us) and ask questions.. (We kept our California cell phone numbers)
After thinking about this most of the day.. I would like to add that... We miss some family and some friends. What we are doing is we have Verizon and most of our family and friends have it also. So we can talk all we want with out burning minutes anytime...

Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM

We have been giving a ton of thought to getting out of Ca. and while we are considering 3 States, Georgia, Texas and Tennessee, you folks from TN. really make it tough to get excited about the other two we have given thought to. Everyone seems so nice.

We went to check out Ga. three years ago and really like the Northern areas, especially those around Lake Lanier. It's tough to make a decision having only been there that one time and then reading all the negative posts on this forum (about Ga.). Not all are negative but enough to get me bummed out.

Texas. Rockwall is the city we will be going to after our brief stay in TN. and it too has lots of really positive feedback from the residents, much like you folks from TN.

After reading about TN., I really hope that our decision to see three states in 7 days isn't a waste of time. I've gotta tell ya, if I had to make a decision based on the posts on this forum, it would be TN. hands down. You folks really speak highly of your state and that has me incredibly excited to get on the road. Three weeks away....

LeeB, I'll shoot you a PM when I get in my office tomorrow. Thanks!

Chad

Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 AM

Okie Dokie........ My Cell Phone has the 209 Area Code.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville